PDA

View Full Version : Datagate and the Death of American Liberalism

Anti Federalist
06-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Datagate and the Death of American Liberalism

The left is undergoing a monstrous transformation

by Justin Raimondo, June 14, 2013

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2013/06/13/datagate-and-the-death-of-american-liberalism/

The widely noted poll showing Democrats are now the biggest cheerleaders for the Surveillance State has conservatives delightedly calling out the left for “hypocrisy,” noting with glee the leftie pundits who denounced George W. Bush’s administration for trampling on our civil liberties and are now defending the Regime against the Snowden-Greenwald revelations. Their liberal targets come out swinging, however, rightly pointing out that that PRISM and the phone collection program originated under George W. Bush’s watch, back when all these born-again civil libertarians of the right were either silent or supportive of these measures.

Indeed, the left has gone on the offensive, crowing that what Edward Snowden calls the “architecture of oppression” is all perfectly legal, pointing out that the NSA went through the FISA court – a secret “court” whose orders are classified top, and that, out of thousands of such requests, has only denied the government a grand total of 11 times. This left-right dynamic dramatizes the symbiotic relationship between authoritarians on both sides of the political spectrum – and, perhaps, explains how the Panopticon unveiled by Snowden came to be built and legitimized.

Now it is the liberals’ turn to justify the demolition of the Constitution, and especially to give the final push to take down that once-mighty and now greatly eroded bulwark against tyranny, the Bill of Rights. Anyone who is surprised by the alacrity with which they have taken up this task is unfamiliar with the history of American liberalism and the left in general.

Being a liberal, or any number of degrees to the left, didn’t always mean hating J. Edgar Hoover and the “architecture of oppression” – a superstructure that emerged in all its wartime glory in the 1930s and 40s, in the heyday of what is known as the “Red Decade.” It was American leftists who cheered FDR’s wartime dictatorship the loudest, and called for ever more repressive methods to deal with recalcitrant elements. It was the “liberals” who whooped it up for the farcical Great Sedition Trial of 1944, in which the brilliant African-American anti-interventionist Lawrence Dennis and 29 other defendants were accused of treason for their “isolationist” views and jailed. These memorable (yet now mysteriously forgotten) anti-Japanese cartoons by Theodor Seuss Geisel, left-wing author of the “Dr. Seuss” books, hailed the internment camps in which thousands of Japanese-Americans were held.

A listening device was planted in the office of Col. Robert R. McCormick, publisher of the fiercely antiwar, anti-New Deal Chicago Tribune. The push to jail the leaders of the anti-war movement was spearheaded by the Communist Party, which was then selling the line that “Communism is 20th century Americanism”: the Communists urged their many allies in the Roosevelt administration to widen the Justice Department’s net to include prominent leaders of the America First Committee and members of Congress who opposed getting into the war. The President, for his part, made a point of asking his reluctant Attorney General, Francis Biddle, at every Cabinet meeting: “When are you going to indict the seditionists?” (The Trotskyists got the same treatment, and a “sedition” trial of their own, while the Stalinists and the “liberals” at The Nation stood and cheered.)

Far from opposing government surveillance of Americans in America, the left in those days was busy helping the FBI with their own “private” intelligence-gathering operations, such as the “Friends of Democracy,” and other groups, most of them Communist front organizations. These folks saw themselves as adjuncts of law enforcement, playing much the same role as the Southern Poverty Law Center does today: fingering “fifth columnists” and other “seditionists” and “extremists” who posed a threat to the Roosevelt regime.

Journalists, intellectuals, and publicists played a key role in the left’s war on civil liberties: it was a Washington Post reporter, Dillard Stokes, who posed as a serviceman and asked the defendants in the 1944 trial to send him literature. These letters turned up at the trial as “evidence” that the defendants were trying to undermine the morale of US servicemen: thus the charge of sedition. The left-wing anti-subversion movement had an entire New York City daily newspaper, PM, devoted to publishing its endless exposes of the anti-interventionist movement as a Nazi fifth column.

During the cold war era, however, suddenly the left became the champion of civil liberties and the Constitution, with particular attention to the Bill of Rights – as so many of them had to take the Fifth at numerous congressional hearings investigating suspected Communist activities in the US. Through the 1960s, and right up on through the Bush era, American liberals – who began calling themselves “progressives” sometime around the Clinton years – continued to fight for basic civil liberties, which were under attack from the right and the insensible “center.” All that changed, however, when Barack Obama became the first Democratic president of the post-9/11 era.

The post-Obama left in America is rapidly regressing to a former incarnation: the police state “progressivism” of the 1930s and 40s. Some of the more old-fashioned liberals may be baffled by this, but fortunately Joshua Marshall, of the decidedly “progressive” Talking Points Memo blog – who approves of the spying and thinks Snowden is a criminal – has been good enough to provide an ideological rationale for what seems on the surface to be mere partisan loyalty to the Obama administration.

In response to the shock and anger of the more old-fashioned liberals who inhabit TPM’s comment threads, Marshall says he’s “trying to think through what is the difference between the prisms we’re looking through that makes us see [Snowden's actions] so differently.”

“Here is I think the essential difference and where it comes back to what I referred to before – a basic difference in one’s idea about the state and the larger political community. If you see the state as essentially malevolent or a bad actor then really anything you can do to put a stick in its spokes is a good thing. Same if you think the conduct of US foreign policy is fundamentally a bad thing. Then opening up its books for the world to see is a good thing simply because it exposes it or damages it. It forces change on any number of levels.

“From that perspective, there’s no really no balancing to be done. All disclosure is good. Either from the perspective of transparency in principle or upending something you believe must be radically changed.

“On the other hand, if you basically identify with the country and the state, then indiscriminate leaks like this are purely destructive. They’re attacks on something you fundamentally believe in, identify with, think is working on your behalf.”

Let’s put aside, for the moment, the clear implication that Snowden’s defenders are anti-American fanatics intent on defending what amounts to treason: that’s none too interesting, in any case, because it is merely a page torn from the neocons’ manual. It captures our interest only because Marshall takes it one step farther than even the Bush brigade did, deriving a defense of the all-seeing all-knowing NSA from a radically revised liberal theory of the state, and linking conservative fear of overweening government power to “attacks on something you fundamentally believe in,” i.e. on America itself, or, at least, Marshall’s idea of America. Because in Marshall’s world “the country” and “the state” are interchangeable concepts, which is one of the ways “modern” liberalism differs from the old-fashioned variety.

It is hardly even worth pointing out Marshall’s outrage when the Bush administration’s warrantless wiretapping was revealed in 2006, but just for the record: “The President and Attorney General are engaged in a criminal conspiracy. I mean, to me this is worse than Watergate,” is the way he put it in this video interview.

So a Bush administration program that spied on hundreds, perhaps thousands of Americans who called or sent email overseas was “worse than Watergate,” while Snowden revealing a secret program that records the details of every phone conversation and every internet communication in the entire country, and stores it away for future reference, is a reprehensible and criminal act.

Toward the end of his screed, Marshall elects to “lay my cards on the table,” whereupon he avers the military is part of a “political community” with which he identifies, and after that abbreviated pledge of allegiance – reminiscent the post-9/11 fashion that had television anchors sporting flag lapels – segues easily into this:

“[Snowden]’s not just opening the thing up for debate. He’s taking it upon himself to make certain things no longer possible, or much harder to do. To me that’s a betrayal. I think it’s easy to exaggerate how much damage these disclosures cause. But I don’t buy that there are no consequences. And it goes to the point I was making in an earlier post. Who gets to decide? The totality of the officeholders who’ve been elected democratically – for better or worse – to make these decisions? Or Edward Snowden, some young guy I’ve never heard of before who espouses a political philosophy I don’t agree with and is now seeking refuge abroad for breaking the law?

“I don’t have a lot of problem answering that question.”

Of course he doesn’t. In Marshall, the regression to “modern,” 1930s-style liberalism is complete. Moving rapidly away from the old-style anti-authoritarianism represented by such turn of the last century liberals as Randolph Bourne and Oswald Garrison Villard, the new liberalism of Marshall’s school believes “democratic” majorities can vote away the rights of minorities, and that so long as a regime can claim a “democratic mandate,” they are free to do as they like. This is quite possibly the most illiberal concept one could possibly come up with, but that just goes to show how inverted our political values have become, and how what used to be called liberal is instead merely another name for despotism. Marshall’s liberalism is the Bizarro World version – and I’m afraid that with the death of Alexander Cockburn, and the absorption of much of the left into the Obama cult, every other kind is nearly extinct.

Although perhaps not: after all, the reporter who broke this story – Glenn Greenwald – is an exemplar of the old liberalism, and perhaps his example will inspire others to push back against the Obamaite mutation. So maybe – just maybe – there’s hope for the future of American liberalism after all.

The Snowden revelations – and I don’t think we’re done reporting them all quite yet – are the defining issue of the post-9/11 era. How one comes out on Snowden says everything we need to know about a person’s politics, and general view of life. What this means politically is that we are witnessing one of those seismic ideological realignments, in which left and right meet, mix, merge, and invert themselves, until the meaning of “right” and “left,” “liberal” and “conservative,” switches polarities and things turn into their opposites. We are living in an age when yesterday’s liberals are today’s authoritarians, and even a pathetic few of yesterday’s alleged libertarians find themselves on the other side of the barricades from those who are actually fighting for liberty.

This is the most important issue the libertarian movement has ever faced: nothing compares to it in terms of its seriousness, or the way in which the libertarian movement is directly involved. Snowden made two contributions to the Ron Paul campaign totaling $500, and, more tellingly, his rhetoric is explicitly libertarian in tone as well as in content. He is, in short, one of us, and because of that he must be defended to the bitter end. Our first task is to defend the person who made this great sacrifice on behalf of us all – and that means campaigning for a presidential pardon.

Which means it is the duty of every libertarian to sign the White House petition to pardon Snowden, which, last I looked, was homing in on 70,000 signatures. It is almost certain the petition will hit the 100,000 signature threshold requiring a response from the White House – and it is equally certain the Obama administration will take note of the unprecedented speed at which that threshold was reached.

It is a time of testing: when cowards cower, and heroes step forward. When the best – and the worst – in humankind is revealed in each and every one of us. The much-vaunted “libertarian moment” has arrived: we have no choice but to rise to the occasion.

Anti Federalist
06-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Smear Brigade Goes After Snowden

– and Greenwald. They can't refute the message – so they go after the messengers

by Justin Raimondo, June 12, 2013

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2013/06/11/the-smear-machine-gears-up/

When whistleblowers expose government wrongdoing and abuses, the procedure is always the same: the regime’s defenders focus on the whistleblower’s alleged personality defects and smear him within an inch of his life. They did it with Dan Ellsberg, they did it with Julian Assange, they did it with Bradley Manning, and that all too familiar modus operandi is unfolding pretty quickly in the case of Edward Snowden, the heroic libertarian who exposed Washington’s massive and unconstitutional spying operation against American citizens. The pundits who take seriously their job as the power elite’s Praetorian Guard are going after Snowden hammer and tongs, and in these dark times their polemics provide a rich source of humor.

The funniest one – although this is admittedly a hard choice to make – has got to be this piece by one William Foxton, a rather pathetic Tory “moderate” who claims to care about “civil liberties, Internet freedom, that sort of thing.” So you see he’s one of us – but he’s “never liked Glenn Greenwald,” the journalist who broke the story. Well, why not? Greenwald, after all, has been one of the staunchest advocates of those very causes, almost single-handedly responsible for calling foul on the foulest attack on civil liberties since the era of J. Edgar Hoover.

Foxton is coy on this point: he says maybe it’s because Greenwald’s pieces are “enormous,” not to mention “turgid” – although this doesn’t appear to deter Glenn’s numerous readers. Oh, but you see, they’re a “cult” – although he doesn’t let us in on the secret ceremonies, complete with Satanic altars and Druidic incantations, that no doubt figure prominently in the activities of the Greenwaldian sect. So then how do Greenwald’s many admirers – myself among them – qualify as cult members? Well, you see:

“The last time I criticized him I got a barrage of online abuse – including memorably a 24-slide PowerPoint presentation explaining how the American security services had ‘got’ to me, and how Greenwald was their number-one target. Maybe, as his adoring public have suggested, I’m either a homophobe or in the pay of the CIA. Perhaps both.”

The poor baby: his feelings were hurt! But really he should be flattered that anyone is reading him at all, never mind taking the trouble to create an entire Power Point presentation proving him wrong. Of course, being a homophobe is a crime in Britain: you can be jailed for calling somebody a ****** and so discretion is mandatory. It’s enough to simply mention somebody’s sexuality in a seemingly casual aside. The dogs can hear the whistle: he’s a poofter. Wink, wink.

Or “maybe I’m jealous of the success he’s had, of the stories he’s broken,” an admission that makes Foxton seem like a jolly good bloke, really an honest and essentially nice guy – an impression easily dispelled in the next sentence, where he takes the opportunity to repeat the haughty disdain of the New York Times profile of Greenwald describing him as a “blogger” for “a British web site.”

So, you see, Greenwald is just a gay blogger, not really a journalist – that’s the core of the message we’re supposed to be getting. He’s just a blogger – oh, and did I mention’s he’s gay – he’s not legitimate, he’s a deviant. No, it’s not jealousy, says Foxton, not really:

“What I think is more likely is I dislike him because he has built a huge platform with opinion writing, and now he’s blurring the line between opinion pieces and straight reporting. That huge platform he’s built means sources come forward to him from his vast base of followers, with real hard news stories, and then he insists on reporting them.”

The link Foxton thinks somehow proves his point takes us to a tweet in which Greenwald admits to having opinions. What’s difficult for Foxton and his fellow Praetorians to finesse, however, is that the bare facts reported by Greenwald and ably articulated by Snowden condemn the regime in and of themselves. That the whole spying operation was done in secret, and on such a grand scale – with DNI James Clapper all the while denying it to Sen. Ron Wyden’s face – is all we need to know. Whatever opinions Greenwald has on the matter don’t enter into it.

The only way to get over this enormous disadvantage is to focus on the messengers – Greenwald and Snowden – in hopes everyone will forget about the revelations and their import. So we are told Glenn Greenwald is gay, he’s just a blogger for crissakes, and – worse! – he has opinions, and so can’t really qualify as a bona fide journalist in Foxton’s league. He’s a gay blogger with opinions who insists on reporting “real hard news stories.” Imagine! Well well, my good friend,

“That could be a serious problem in my opinion, because his own self-described status as an ‘activist’ and an ‘advocate’could cast doubt on the accuracy of that reporting.”

Why, the bloke doesn’t know fact from opinion: “He’s an unabashed polemicist.” Which is why, Foxton says,

“I often feel when reading a Greenwald article there are valid explanations for some of the things he’s reporting on, but that’s often hidden behind his apparent loathing of the West in general, and the US in particular. For him, no state surveillance can ever be justified – and almost anything he gets hold of can be turned to make America look like a vicious Police state.”

A gay blogger with opinions who loathes the West, and especially the US, is clearly someone not to be trusted: there’s got to be something he’s not telling us. He isn’t reporting all the perfectly good reasons why the US government should have access to the details of every phone call ever made, and the contents of my email, all of it done in the dark without public knowledge or debate. Clearly Greenwald loathes the West and its traditions of the rule of law, democratic discourse, and individual rights: why else would he be so opinionated about the efforts of Senor Foxton and his co-thinkers in the US government to traduce them?

You can’t really blame Foxton – who has apparently been assigned to run interference with Greenwald – for the paucity of his “arguments.” Our wise rulers have been caught with their pants down, this time, on both sides of the Atlantic. Character assassination is their only option: anything to change the subject.

The psychoanalytical school of character assassination is well represented in the barrage unleashed against the Snowden revelations: e.g. such amateurs as columnist Megan McArdle, who implies that Certain Well-Placed Friends in Washington assure her Snowden is toast:

“Last night I saw a few tweets from people I respect noting that in coming days, NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden may not look as noble as we now think him.”

Yes, comrade, my friends in the KGB assure me this Snowden is a wife-beater, a child-molester, a fink and a fool – it’ll all come out in Pravda, you’ll see.

Like Foxton, McArdle confesses she finds Snowden “unlikable.” The title of her piece is “Whistleblowers Are Weird,” and the word weird is strewn throughout, like spice in an otherwise unpalatable stew. How can she say this about a person she has presumably never met? Well, because whistleblowers are weird by definition: we’re all “hard-wired for loyalty,” because “trust” is the glue that holds our society together. After all, what’s to prevent that guy down the hall from coming in to work and hacking poor Megan to death? Well, it’s “fear of the consequences,” but also due to a basic human tribal solidarity that is part of our psycho-biological makeup. “That’s why psychopaths are so dangerous,” she avers – and you can see where this is going. Snowden is clearly a psychopath, or, at the very least, a borderline case, according to Doctor McArdle. It goes downhill from there.

In Megan’s World, only a mentally deranged person would defy groupthink and do the right thing, or, at least, what they consider to be the right thing – with the clear implication that such people are not only unlikable, they are downright dangerous and belong in prison.

Enough with the amateurs – surely a word that defines McArdle’s oeuvre – and on to the professional smearers, of which New York Times columnist David Brooks is an exemplar. His theme is not unlike McArdle’s: Snowden’s sin is to have departed from the Hive, and fatally separated himself from the Hive Mind:

“From what we know so far, Edward Snowden appears to be the ultimate unmediated man. Though obviously terrifically bright, he could not successfully work his way through the institution of high school. Then he failed to navigate his way through community college.

“According to The Washington Post, he has not been a regular presence around his mother’s house for years. When a neighbor in Hawaii tried to introduce himself, Snowden cut him off and made it clear he wanted no neighborly relationships. He went to work for Booz Allen Hamilton and the C.I.A., but he has separated himself from them, too.”

Before I go any further, I have to say that this “high school dropout” meme has been the leitmotif of much of the coverage of Snowden: forget what he revealed, forget the high-paying career he forged, the man’s a high school dropout. And he went to one of those chintzy vocational community colleges, and couldn’t even get through that. Why, the guy’s a loser, a loner, a half-crazy “product of one of the more unfortunate trends of the age: the atomization of society, the loosening of social bonds, the apparently growing share of young men in their 20s who are living technological existences in the fuzzy land between their childhood institutions and adult family commitments.”

Yeah, that’s the ticket – he’s one of those nutty computer nerds who’s basically still a child, not a real adult like Brooks. He’s “unmediated,” unmodified, and downright unnatural because his “life is not embedded in a series of gently gradated authoritative structures: family, neighborhood, religious group, state, nation and world.” Brooks might have added Snowden’s refusal to be embedded in the embrace of the Surveillance State, but that would have violated the whole point of his column, which only vaguely refers to what Snowden has actually revealed.

Social deviants of Snowden’s ilk, in the Brooksian view, tend to see the world a little differently. For them, the Hive Mind doesn’t exist: “Instead, it’s just the solitary naked individual and the gigantic and menacing state.” From there Brooks segues neatly into an attack on libertarianism – or, rather,

“The distinct strands of libertarianism that are blossoming in this fragmenting age: the deep suspicion of authority, the strong belief that hierarchies and organizations are suspect, the fervent devotion to transparency, the assumption that individual preference should be supreme. You’re more likely to donate to the Ron Paul for president campaign, as Snowden did.”

The Ron Paul factor is sure to loom large in this contretemps, and I imagine the Homeland Security folks will be getting out that “study” they did on “right-wing extremism” and the allegedly growing danger it represents to the Obama regime: you know, the one that advised local police departments to be on the lookout for Ron Paul bumper stickers on cars and any individuals who might belong to the Libertarian or Constitution parties. Of course, Brooks and his fellow neocons hate the Pauls, Rand as well as Ron, and think they can use this incident to discredit the movement – which just shows how out of touch they are, and how right they are to be as frightened as they seem to be. Because Ron has embraced Snowden, Rand is introducing legislation that would effectively abolish their sinister Panopticon, and the White House petition to pardon Snowden has well over half the 100,000 signatures needed to merit a White House response – after one day! The Hive Mind isn’t acting like a hive – so what’s going on here?

Brooks, for sure, doesn’t have a clue. He rambles on nonsensically, for the most part, for seven or eight paragraphs about how no young person will ever be entrusted in such a position again (really?) – and the word “betrayal” rings out, like a theme song. Not a word about the betrayal of the Constitution, of the rule of law, of the trust of the citizenry in their officials. “For society to function well,” he writes, “there have to be basic levels of trust and cooperation, a respect for institutions and deference to common procedures. By deciding to unilaterally leak secret N.S.A. documents, Snowden has betrayed all of these things.”

This is an exact inversion of what has actually happened, a Bizarro World account of the Snowden affair. Translated from the Bizarro-ese, those sentences read like this:

“For society to function well, there have to be basic levels of trust and cooperation, a respect for institutions and deference to common procedures. By deciding to unilaterally set up a vast spying apparatus that collects our phone calls, emails, and other online content, and files it away in a vast Universal Dossier – in secret – the US government has betrayed all of those things.”

Brooks takes special delight in inverting the truth: he even writes that Snowden “betrayed the Constitution”! How so?

“The founders did not create the United States so that some solitary 29-year-old could make unilateral decisions about what should be exposed. Snowden self-indulgently short-circuited the democratic structures of accountability, putting his own preferences above everything else.”

No, the Founders created the United States so that the government could know everything about us, and have the capacity to read every jot and tittle of every communication we’ve ever made: indeed, according to the Brooksian version of the Founding, they wrote the Constitution so that their work could be systematically destroyed in secret by ambitious politicians and war-maddened ideologues.

Truth is the neocon Kryptonite, and Brooks has succeeded in writing an entire column in which this substance is completely absent. And yet, by the end of it, he accomplishes what he set out to do – because I’m not writing about the actual revelations, now am I?

Now that’s a real professional for you.

As we’ve been warning in this space for some time, the past decade or so has witnessed a silent slow-motion coup in the US, in the course of which the apparatus of a police state has been quietly assembled on the rather good chance our wise rulers will soon be needing it. With the Snowden revelations, the veil is lifted on their already well-advanced plans. As the above demonstrates, they’re doing their best to change the subject, or, when that doesn’t work, resorting to hedging by arguing: heck no, we aren’t listening in on your phone conversations, we’re just storing them in a safe place – for later reference. And as far as scooping up your emails, and other internet content, it’s only foreigners we’re collecting dossiers on – anything we collect on Americans is just an “accident.”

They are lying. As Snowden put it:

“Any analyst at any time can target anyone. Any selector. Anywhere. I, sitting at my desk, had the authority to wiretap anyone, from you or your accountant to a federal judge to even the president if I had a personal email.”

They lied us into a series of wars in the Middle East: now they are trying to lie us into accepting a police state. Will they get away with it, as they have in the past? While the Smear Brigade and their employers are pretty complacent, and even smug in the face of these revelations, there is an undertone of fear, and even panic, in their voices. As if they know the jig is up, and it’s time to start making plans for a getaway.

Slow to anger, but dangerous once aroused, the American people are stirring. After the long night of the “war on terrorism,” and years of being cowed by an unreasonable fear, they are finally beginning to show signs that they’ve had enough. Brooks, Foxton, and McArdle (sounds like a law firm specializing in bankruptcy proceedings) are the Regime’s last attempt to save face and recover some shred of credibility. We’ve only just seen the beginning of the smear campaign about to be unleashed on Snowden – but I have news for these character assassins: it isn’t going to work.

It isn’t going to work because Snowden isn’t a Washington insider, he’s never held an official position – and, yes, like millions of uncredentialed non-insiders, he never took to college and his high school education was a rocky road, to say the least. Up against the Ivy Leaguers of the Washington-Georgetown cocktail party set, and the denizens of Washington’s royal court where loyalty to the State is assumed, Snowden is “weird,” as McArdle put it. Who else but a weirdo would give up a lucrative career, a gorgeous girlfriend, a wonderful life in paradisaical Hawaii, for the cause of liberty? Why, he’s got to be crazy – a nut, an extremist, a “solitary naked individual” up against “the gigantic and menacing state.”

Which is precisely why Americans – that is, all those Americans who remember what it is to be an American – will rally and are rallying to his cause. As the groundswell demanding his pardon – and also demanding some accountability from our previously unaccountable rulers – continues to rise, it’s going to be fun watching the David Brookses of this world go into panic mode. So sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the show – because it’s going to a long and very enjoyable one.

enhanced_deficit
06-14-2013, 11:24 PM
"Data-pervert gate" comes to mind but that is not as easy to rhyme as "datagate" in scandals lingo.