PDA

View Full Version : NYC mulls $1,000 fine/year in jail for tourists buying knock-off goods

green73
06-14-2013, 11:45 AM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Bargain hunters from around the world flock to Manhattan's Chinatown for bags, jewelry and other accessories bursting onto sidewalks from storefronts along Canal Street.

Among the goods are luxury items labeled "Prada" or "Louis Vuitton" or some other luxury brand " counterfeits sold for a pittance. In some cases, handbags going for $2,000 on Fifth Avenue can be had downtown for, say, $20.

They're seductive fakes.

Until now, the law enforcement focus has been on catching the sellers. But if a proposed bill passes the City Council, customers caught buying counterfeits could be punished with a fine of up to $1,000, or up to a year in prison.

The New York City legislation, if passed, would be the first in the United States to criminalize the purchase of counterfeits.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22586826/nyc-debates-crackdown-on-counterfeit-luxury-goods

Anti Federalist
06-14-2013, 11:49 AM
The New York City legislation, if passed, would be the first in the United States to criminalize the purchase of counterfeits.

Wow, you guys in Gau New York are really on the cutting edge.

I feel like I'm slacking here.

Now, during those millions of "Stop and Frisks" every year, the cops have something else to look for besides guns and drugs.

I ♥ NY!

jkr
06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
COMMERCE CLAUSE

to keep commerce regular between the states...WILL YOU BE GOING TO NEW YORK TO BE UNWITTINGLY CAUGHT IN A COUNTERFEIT GOODS FOR PROFIT SCHEME?

NO?

awww why not...will LET you have a LARGE soda wink wink

Brian4Liberty
06-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Until now, the law enforcement focus has been on catching the sellers. But if a proposed bill passes the City Council, customers caught buying counterfeits could be punished with a fine of up to $1,000, or up to a year in prison.

Who wants to bet that enforcement on sellers completely stops if this passes? Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money...

Victor Grey
06-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Veblen goods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good) are idiotic. A waste of perfectly good money.

I salute the people that produce them, for taking advantage of affluent morons.

I refrain my usual respect fully with this move, however.

Anti Federalist
06-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Veblen goods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good) are idiotic. A waste of perfectly good money.

I salute the people that produce them, for taking advantage of affluent morons.

I refrain my usual respect fully with this move, however.

TIL what "Veblen Goods" are.

Thanks.

Occam's Banana
06-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Hay guise!!! I haz great idea!! We punish peeps who comez here an spendz moneyz!

tod evans
06-14-2013, 01:13 PM
I stand firm with my opinion of cities and those who dwell in them...

BAllen
06-14-2013, 01:14 PM
LMAO!
They're such good guys, they are protecting high priced name brands made in china, from those 'knock off' brands that are sold for what they are actually worth.

Dr.3D
06-14-2013, 01:17 PM
So how many people will avoid those high priced brand names just to be sure they are not buying a knock off?

jkr
06-14-2013, 01:19 PM
I H8
NY

tod evans
06-14-2013, 01:21 PM
So how many people will avoid those high priced brand names just to be sure they are not buying a knock off?

Who cares?

Dr.3D
06-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Who cares?

The manufacturers of the real goods that were supposed to be protected by that stupid law.

tod evans
06-14-2013, 01:26 PM
The manufacturers of the real goods that were supposed to be protected by that stupid law.

Aren't they the lobbyists bucking for these laws?

Dr.3D
06-14-2013, 01:28 PM

That's what's so funny about the possible outcome.

BAllen
06-14-2013, 01:38 PM
So, let's recap, here.
They move overseas for cheap labor, so they can sell it for high prices, here. Fuck the workers, it's a free market!
Then, when 'free market' people sell chinese goods for a cheap price here, undercutting THEIR money, it's a CRIME!

Fuck you very much, 'mericans! Suckers!!

Elias Graves
06-14-2013, 02:02 PM
So, let's recap, here.
They move overseas for cheap labor, so they can sell it for high prices, here. Fuck the workers, it's a free market!
Then, when 'free market' people sell chinese goods for a cheap price here, undercutting THEIR money, it's a CRIME!

Fuck you very much, 'mericans! Suckers!!

What's even better is that the knockoffs came from the same factory as the originals. :D

Anti Federalist
06-14-2013, 02:42 PM

I don't know that anybody was, in fact, lobbying for this.

I think it is just one more instance of the police state "cracking down" on something.

When all you have is a hammer, everything becomes a nail.