PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul op-ed on mandatory minimums and racial disparities in drug war

jct74
06-14-2013, 02:59 AM
Fighting racial bias in the federal judicial process

Jun. 13, 2013 8:40 PM
by Sen. Rand Paul

Here are two statistics that disturb me, and should startle everyone:

• African Americans in Kentucky are six times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana possession.

• While African Americans are 13 percent of the total U.S. population, they make up 37 percent of the prison population.

What is the reason for these disparities?

In both cases, using a federal government, one-size-fits-all approach to address these issues is a primary culprit. The problem is Washington’s habit of undermining the system our Founding Fathers created, which left as much power as possible in the hands of local and state officials, and sought to treat people as individuals, not as groups or classes of people.

In the case of arrests, federal agencies have hamstrung local law enforcement agencies by requiring them to meet numerical arrest goals in order to secure funding. Morally, this is troubling. In practical terms, instead of local enforcement agencies spending their time investigating serious felony crimes, they concentrate on minority and depressed neighborhoods to increase their drug arrest statistics.

read more:
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130614/OPINION04/306140033/Sen-Rand-Paul-Fighting-racial-bias-federal-judicial-process

Origanalist
06-14-2013, 04:26 AM
Great oped, not a single comment there.

tod evans
06-14-2013, 04:30 AM
What scares me is that cops in their infinate wisdom won't slack off on minority arrests instead they'll escalate majority arrests in effect compounding the problem.

supermario21
06-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Best comment.

Joan Tinsley · Follow · Top Commenter · Southern High School
One thing I know Senator Paul, you have never been a Prosecutor or a defense attorney. This shows in your attitude towards our laws. We have state laws. We have federal laws. I hope you don't expect a crime cimmitted by a person against our goverrnment should be tried in state courts?

I also know, as almost every voter knows that you will be running for President in 2016, I also know, as anyone who reads or listen to the news that people of color make up a large portion of the voting public and you and your TeaPary/GOP folks have little chance of getting elected. Trotting out a letter like this one really shows how ignorant you are of somethings. I don't fault you on your political belief but this is the 21st century, not the 18th.

It's morons like this woman that our government is so big.

FSP-Rebel
06-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Best comment.

It's morons like this woman that our government is so big.
Yeah, it's like she didn't even read the article or worse, her reading comprehension skillz haven't made it out of junior high. To that I would just respond, "Wat."

supermario21
06-14-2013, 11:19 AM
https://www.facebook.com/joan.tinsley.9

Her facebook reveals her intelligence. She's also a "true-blue" liberal who thinks Snowden is a traitor who is going to lead to lost lives.

torchbearer
06-14-2013, 11:27 AM
https://www.facebook.com/joan.tinsley.9

Her facebook reveals her intelligence. She's also a "true-blue" liberal who thinks Snowden is a traitor who is going to lead to lost lives.

the neocon mentality exist in both parties.

supermario21
06-14-2013, 11:35 AM
the neocon mentality exist in both parties.

I know, but the number of Obama apologists is appalling.

These are exact quotes from her page.

"But insecure politicians and blind-sided commentators and activists love to exact mileage out of happenstance, for they lack the precision to grasp complicated balance a free society must strike between upholding liberty and protecting national security."

This is a great comment by Mr. Malik. Snowden is a criminal and release of this information could lead to people dieing.

On NSA surveillance:

I'm sorry, I just can't get all hot and bothered about this. But then I'm an average Joe/Jane and don't really see how I could be in interest to my government. I'm more interested to Kroger who collects the data on what I buy so that I get coupons in the mail from them.

Perhaps those who travel out of the countental U.S. have to worry, but my understanding is that the papers needed to travel have more personal information on them then any data located at Ft. Meade or elsewhere.

Freedom of the press:

I agree that there should be freedom of the press. But how the press uses that freedom can be the question. Decades ago the fifth estate had a reason for investigating. Now, the press has a meme to work on and cares not for the safety of its citizens. The monster that the cable news has become musts be fed. I have come to believe that it is not the desire of the public to know but the desire of these multinational press organizatiions to expose anyone, person or government.

CaseyJones
06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
promoted OP to home page

Occam's Banana
06-14-2013, 01:22 PM
I know, but the number of Obama apologists is appalling.

These are exact quotes from her page.

On NSA surveillance:

Freedom of the press:

Geez! What an illiterate buffoon! "interest[ed] to" ? "fifth estate" ? etc.

It would be funny if weren't so pathetic.

Elias Graves
06-14-2013, 02:06 PM
"Dieing?" WTF is "dieing?" Is that like dieting for men with the infamous Low T?