PDA

View Full Version : While working for spies, Snowden was secretly prolific online

sailingaway
06-13-2013, 09:46 PM
http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20130614&t=2&i=741089944&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBRE95D05O800

While working for U.S. intelligence agencies, Edward Snowden had another secret identity: an online commentator who anonymously railed against citizen surveillance and corporate greed.

Throughout the eight years that Snowden worked for the Central Intelligence Agency and National Security Agency contractors, he posted hundreds of messages on a public Internet forum under a pseudonym.

"I can't hope to change the way things are going by overtly complaining, writing letters, or blowing things up," Snowden wrote in 2003 in response to a discussion about corporate greed on the Ars Technica online forum.

"That's not the way a good person does things. I will, however, do what I can with the tools that are available to me."

New information discovered by Reuters about Snowden's employment record, online postings and education comes as U.S. lawmakers grill intelligence officials about how a 29-year-old high school dropout managed to gain access to such top secrets as the NSA's electronic surveillance programs.

According to sources briefed on the matter, Snowden was employed by an unidentified classified agency in Washington from 2005 to mid-2006, by the CIA from 2006 to 2009, when he primarily worked overseas, and by Dell Inc from 2009 to 2013, when he worked in the United States and Japan as an NSA contractor.

He was also a prolific commentator on technology forum Ars Technica, posting approximately 750 messages using the screen name "The True HOOHA" from late 2001 to 2012.

Most of the postings were not political in nature: he dispensed advice about government careers, polygraphs and the 2008 stock market crash. He claimed to own the same gun as James Bond and posted glamour photos of himself. He jokingly compared the video console Xbox Live to NSA surveillance.

One of his postings, however, dealt with the now familiar issue of corporate compliance with government eavesdropping programs. On February 4, 2010, while working for Dell, Snowden commented on a discussion about a major technology company that allegedly was giving the U.S. government access to its computer servers.

"It really concerns me how little this sort of corporate behavior bothers those outside of technology circles," Snowden wrote. "Society really seems to have developed an unquestioning obedience towards spooky types."

More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/14/us-usa-security-snowden-online-idUSBRE95D02320130614

liberty2897
06-13-2013, 09:55 PM
"That's not the way a good person does things. I will, however, do what I can with the tools that are available to me."

With the risk of sounding ... not quite right..., some tools are bigger than others.
Hero.

SpiritOf1776_J4
06-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Wow, the NSA leaks information it wiretapped for the last 12 years. Program works!

SpiritOf1776_J4
06-13-2013, 10:00 PM
With the risk of sounding ... not quite right..., some tools are bigger than others.
Hero.

I'd link a quote from Braveheart, but Hollywood has, yes! censored that particular sound clip..

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 10:00 PM

Hero.

jclay2
06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
I like how he "jokingly" compared xbox live to nsa surveillance.

sailingaway
06-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Wow, the NSA leaks information it wiretapped for the last 12 years. Program works!

Yeah. Oh, goodie.

puppetmaster
06-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Just how do you get such jobs.....he must have been a smooth talker.

enhanced_deficit
06-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Well he wasn't that prolific compared to proliferations taking place on this forum lol

Brian4Liberty
06-13-2013, 10:52 PM
He was also a prolific commentator on technology forum Ars Technica, posting approximately 750 messages

Lol. Prolific? They don't know the meaning of the word!

Constitutional Paulicy
06-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Funny how well the NSA is dong their jobs. He worked for them and was active on-line protesting their very existence. Right under their noses.

kahless
06-13-2013, 11:12 PM
The fact that he went so far as to donate money to Ron Paul and spent time on online discussions, I wonder if he has an account here.

J_White
06-14-2013, 12:11 AM

nails it !

RDM
06-14-2013, 12:16 AM
The fact that he went so far as to donate money to Ron Paul and spent time on online discussions, I wonder if he has an account here.

He did. It was Fire11.

Debbie Downer
06-14-2013, 12:18 AM

I know for a fact he used to post here under the name "Confederate."

He claimed to own the same gun as James Bond

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?398816-Do-Guns-Kill-People-Pistol-Shotgun-Assault-Rifle-Put-To-The-Test!&p=4780676&viewfull=1#post4780676
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?402693-Recommend-a-9mm-handgun&p=4842424&viewfull=1#post4842424

Occam's Banana
06-14-2013, 12:48 AM
He was also a prolific commentator on technology forum Ars Technica, posting approximately 750 messagesLol. Prolific? They don't know the meaning of the word!
I LOLed, too. And at this (cue theme from "Mission Impossible"):

While working for U.S. intelligence agencies, Edward Snowden had another secret identity: an online commentator who anonymously railed against citizen surveillance and corporate greed.
So he posted things online under a pseudonym. Shocking! :eek:

What a devious fellow! Them's some mad espionage skillz, there!

sailingaway
06-14-2013, 12:51 AM

Well, not under the same name....

I checked when I posted this.... :p

UWDude
06-14-2013, 01:00 AM

That's not proof. In fact, I call bullshit.

UWDude
06-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Anyways, all hail the True HOOHA!

Hail!

(anybody getting all his posts saved now, so they don't get edited and used to demonize him?)

HOLLYWOOD
06-14-2013, 01:32 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Starship-Troopers-by-Robert-A-Heinlein-1959-/03/%21B8Bu-6%21%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqYOKk%21EzMV2VJqcBM11z%21FLyQ% 7E%7E_35.JPG (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=SfE3cL0iOw35rM&tbnid=JaMIOvnURSOQbM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FStarship-Troopers-by-Robert-A-Heinlein-1959-%2F110611859507&ei=WsW6UdOwKubLyAGHm4CIDQ&bvm=bv.47883778,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNED2T0DbmcvTUS4fJMTWEWs5n_ERQ&ust=1371281104307103)

Bill Clinton & company used the NSA's Echelon system to gain all foreign corporate secrets overseas and turned respective secret info over to US corporations. Oh that 90s boom, well it had a bit of a boost via American Fascism & International espionage against the competition worldwide.

anaconda
06-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Well he wasn't that prolific compared to proliferations taking place on this forum lol

What's his RPF username?

RickyJ
06-14-2013, 01:58 AM
What's his RPF username?

Who cares? He revealed a program and most Americans don't give a crap. That is very scary and quite honestly could have been planned to work exactly this way. They had to know beforehand that few Americans really cared about privacy with the advent of facebook and other social online networks becoming so popular. Not to mention that they claim to be doing this in the name of security and the public has already bent over backwards for that with TSA searchers in airports happening daily. The conditioning the last 11 years to this has worked, the majority doesn't care and they now have proof of that after this "leak" has come out.

He may indeed be a hero, but we can't be 100% sure this leak wasn't part of the CIA/NSA plan all along.

newbitech
06-14-2013, 02:42 AM
The article title annoys the shit out of me.

"secretly prolific online". really?

and then

"another secret identity: an online commentator who anonymously railed against"

so?

While working as a spy, Snowden had a metal plate on the back of his car with a cryptic sequence of 6 alpha numeric characters. Booga booga BOO!

While working as a spy, Snowden never used his real name for identification purposes in public. Instead he used a pair of of 60mm x 92mm "cards" with apparently random sequences of numbers that when combined give him access to banks! Ohhhh so clever!

While working as a spy, Snowden would frequently be found taking showers at odd hours. Something must not be right with the guy.

This one time, someone bagged Snowden at work and took a picture of it, i mean OMG what a traitor! For real!

Fucking pathetic "journalist".

Occam's Banana
06-14-2013, 03:37 AM
The article title annoys the shit out of me.

"secretly prolific online". really?

and then

"another secret identity: an online commentator who anonymously railed against"

so?

While working as a spy, Snowden had a metal plate on the back of his car with a cryptic sequence of 6 alpha numeric characters. Booga booga BOO!

While working as a spy, Snowden never used his real name for identification purposes in public. Instead he used a pair of of 60mm x 92mm "cards" with apparently random sequences of numbers that when combined give him access to banks! Ohhhh so clever!

While working as a spy, Snowden would frequently be found taking showers at odd hours. Something must not be right with the guy.

This one time, someone bagged Snowden at work and took a picture of it, i mean OMG what a traitor! For real!

Fucking pathetic "journalist".

Have you seen the "Edward Snowden: 10 Things to Know" article at Politico? It's even more pathetic.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?417279-Pathetic-smear-article-on-Snowden-by-Politico

Brian4Liberty
06-14-2013, 07:38 AM

I thought he used the name "Eduardo".

That's not proof. In fact, I call bullshit.

You would be correct. Just another one of Debbie's old names. He was Eduardo until his sex change.

UWDude
06-14-2013, 05:52 PM
You would be correct. Just another one of Debbie's old names.

That's what I figured.

Debbie Downer
06-14-2013, 06:22 PM
That's what I figured.

You're quite the detective:

http://cdn0.cosmosmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/20080314_sherlock_holmes.jpg