PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the "Access Problem" ...

Occam's Banana
06-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Hello, Ben! Thanks for everything you've done.

One often hears of an "access problem" in modern journalism - i.e., that journalists who have a reputation for being "problematic" (e.g., for not lobbing "softballs", or for not merely regurgitating the "spin" and "talking points" of politicians, government officials, public relations offices, etc.) are routinely "shut out" of access to sources, information, etc. that other more "compliant" journalists enjoy.

The hypothesis is that reporters who are percieved (for whatever reason) as being "too critical" of their sources will lose "access" to those sources, and will thus be unable to do their jobs effectively. One example I have seen given of this on the local level is the tendency of "crime beat" reporters to frame their stories in a way that tends to soften, blunt, "play down" (or outright exonerate) local police & police departments of criticisms for any wrongdoing (corruption, brutality, etc.) of which they might be accused. The suggestion is that "crime beat" reporters do this because they will not be "crime beat" reporters (or at least, not very effective ones) for very long if they don't.

To what extent, if any, have you witnessed or encountered this "access problem" in the past?

To what extent, if any, do you anticipate that you will encounter it in the future? (Especially as your fame grows and your reputation for not lobbing "softballs" - and not allowing "duck & weave" prevarications to go unchallenged - becomes more widespread. I am specifically thinking of things like your excellent interview of Barack Obama.)

And what means, if any, can be employed to get around or neutralize it?

Ben Swann
06-13-2013, 08:13 PM
this is a very good question. the truth is, it is a risk but one worth taking. the main way to get around this is for the people to stand with a journalist. when politicians realize the only way to the voter is by standing in for those tough questions, they will be willing to do it. we are actually working on something to employ in the 2014 election cycle to help the liberty movement in that way

Occam's Banana
06-14-2013, 05:04 AM
this is a very good question. the truth is, it is a risk but one worth taking. the main way to get around this is for the people to stand with a journalist. when politicians realize the only way to the voter is by standing in for those tough questions, they will be willing to do it. we are actually working on something to employ in the 2014 election cycle to help the liberty movement in that way

Excellent! I am very much looking forward to finding out more about this.