PDA

View Full Version : Snowden Wrote 700-Plus Posts on Chat Boards About Everything From Government to Girls

tangent4ronpaul
06-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Snowden Wrote 700-Plus Posts on Chat Boards About Everything From Government to Girls
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/06/13/edward_snowden_ars_technica_nsa_leaker_s_internet_ commenting_past_uncovered.html

So much for Edward Snowden's lack of an online profile. In the immediate aftermath of his self-outing over the weekend, reporters fired up their computers and went looking for the obvious—Twitter, Facebook, and other social media accounts—with no luck. But after a little more digging, it looks like the Internet has stumbled across Snowden's rather extensive commenting past on Ars Technica message boards. The trove of comments—roughly 750 of them in all—provides us with our best (and, no doubt, most unfiltered) peek to date into the 29-year-old former defense contractor's life and worldview.

The comments offer plenty of evidence to suggest that the handle does indeed belong to the now-famous Snowden, as already noted by BuzzFeed, Ars Technica and others. The posts describe the author as a male with the same age (22 in 2006), educational background (no high school degree) and profession (working for the government in IT) as Snowden. If that weren't enough, there are even photos of what certainly looks like a young Edward Snowden posted back in 2006.

Snowden's comments on the tech website were discovered by Anthony DeRosa after Reuters reported that the now-famous leaker had previously used the online handle "The True HOOHA" on an anime site. From there, it wasn't exactly a leap to his Ars username of "TheTrueHOOHA." This being an online message board we're talking about, many of his comments can be a little hard to follow and most are even more mundane. Still, they span a relatively wide range of topics, from online anonymity to the NSA, and from where he'd like to live to his love life. Here are few of the highlights.

On society's "unquestioning obedience towards spooky types," from a 2004 post in a thread about wiretapping:

It really concerns me how little this sort of corporate behavior bothers those outside of technology circles. Society really seems to have developed an unquestioning obedience towards spooky types.

I wonder, how well would envelopes that became transparent under magical federal candlelight have sold in 1750? 1800? 1850? 1900? 1950? Did we get to where we are today via a slippery slope that was entirely within our control to stop, or was it an relatively instantaneous sea change that sneaked in undetected because of pervasive government secrecy?

On countries he wouldn't mind moving to, from a 2006 post (a topic that's still relevant):

My list, in order (just like in the poll!) would be:

Japan
Thailand
Korea
China
Australia

China, Korea, and australia might be swapped, though. They’re sort of nebulous.

Later in that same thread:

WINNAR!

Although I’m not a diplomat, I work for the Department of State. I actually signed up because of the opportunity for foreign travel, so I’m not bent out of shape at all. All of the inflexible terms in the OP were to establish some sort of ground rules for the hypothetical so it didn’t veer off into insanity.

That said, I’m surprised by the showing Australia made in the poll. I have to wonder if it’s really the paradise Arsians seem to think it is, but being that this is a nerds’ forum, I’m suprised ANYTHING beat out Japan. I also don’t see the allure of “Scandinavian” countries, but that’s simply because I don’t want to live in a country where warmth and comfort are only spoken of in bedtime stories.

China is definitely a good option career-wise, and I’ve already got a basic understanding of Mandarin and the culture, but it just doesn’t seem like as much “fun” as some of the other places. Who knows where the “needs of the service” will actually end up placing me, though.

Azerbaijan, anyone?

On working for the State Department, from a 2006 post:

Work yourself up to Europe.

Say, Department of State. They're understaffed right now, but Europe posts are competitive, but you can get in the door much easier if you express an interest in going to near-east hellholes. Once you're in, tough out the crappy tour and you should be able to pick from a list of preferred posts.

Alternately, get a clearance. If you're cleared, have a lifestyle, and have specialized IT skills, you can go anywhere in the world right now.

Thank god for wars.

His love life, from a 2006 post:

My [ex?] girlfriend is the most amazing girl I’ve ever dated. She’s one of those who even wanted it more than me, sometimes, and would kind of sadly paw at my man-totem like a cat after it has killed the prey. Some of it comes from natural sex drive, yes, but this same girl took like six months to get into bed the first time.

A great deal of a successful sexual relationship is taking the time to properly build up to things and establish their comfort level. After the honeymoon phase, things do slack off sometimes, but the more sex you have, the longer you should last and the better you should be for one another. vafarmboy is not shitting you. There have been times when I’ve have sex marathons from sundown til sunrise.

Once you establish the comfort zone where you don’t care when or how many times or how long or who climaxes when or what they’re wearing, the sex will be better, longer, and more available. You and her will BOTH know when it’s no longer about being horny. The only down side is coming to terms with the idea of losing it.

Damn, I miss her.

He said he owns a gun in a 2006 post:

I have a Walther P22. It’s my only gun, but I love it to death. It’s super cheap to shoot (to the tune of $15/500rds), and I don’t intend to be in combat anytime soon.

I could still use it put ten tiny holes in important parts of a home invader if necessary, though.

And in his last post on the site, on May 21, 2012, in response to a question about creating a "Dead Man's Switch," a program that would automatically clear a computer's contents if its owner did not log within a set amount of time:

You could write one. There are also plenty of orphaned Open Source ones out there you could pick up that need to be finished, if you want a head start.

We'll update with any others of particular note as people continue to sift through the message boards.

-t

Warlord
06-13-2013, 02:03 PM
I wanna see the Ron Paul ones. There will be some around the campaigns about politics no doubt.

Warlord
06-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Any updates on his posts yet?

Warlord
06-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Here's an update from the Independent. They say his posts weren't political in nature but I cant believe he never mentioned Ron and they also said he posted about the 2008 stock market crash but didn't include any quotes.

Can someone find his posts?

-
"I can't hope to change the way things are going by overtly complaining, writing letters, or blowing things up," Snowden wrote in 2003 in response to a discussion about corporate greed on the Ars Technica online forum.

"That's not the way a good person does things. I will, however, do what I can with the tools that are available to me."

Snowden was also a prolific commentator on the technology forum Ars Technica, posting approximately 750 messages using the screen name "The True HOOHA" from late 2001 to 2012.

According to Reuter's sources Snowden was employed by an unidentified classified agency in Washington from 2005 to mid-2006, by the CIA from 2006 to 2009, when he primarily worked overseas, and by Dell Inc from 2009 to 2013, when he worked in the United States and Japan as an NSA contractor.

The revelations came as intelligence officials were grilled by US lawmakers about how the 29-year-old high school dropout managed to gain access to such top secrets as the NSA's electronic surveillance programs.

Most of the postings were not political in nature: he dispensed advice about government careers, polygraphs and the 2008 stock market crash. He claimed to own the same gun as James Bond and posted glamour photos of himself. He jokingly compared the video console Xbox Live to NSA surveillance.

One of his postings, however, dealt with the now familiar issue of corporate compliance with government eavesdropping programs. On February 4, 2010, while working for Dell, Snowden commented on a discussion about a major technology company that allegedly was giving the U.S. government access to its computer servers.

"It really concerns me how little this sort of corporate behavior bothers those outside of technology circles," Snowden wrote. "Society really seems to have developed an unquestioning obedience towards spooky types."

It is not clear if his former employers knew about his online persona. The CIA, NSA, Dell and Booz Allen Hamilton - which most recently employed Snowden - declined to comment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/revealed-whistleblower-edward-snowden-posted-comments-attacking-citizen-surveillance-while-working-for-cia-8658988.html

Cap
06-14-2013, 09:03 AM
I would wager that he has/had and account and has posted here. Just a guess.

CPUd
06-14-2013, 09:05 AM
700 posts? we have people here who can do that in 1 day.

WM_in_MO
06-14-2013, 09:12 AM
I definitely have more than that from my internet history.

Warlord
06-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Warlord has got his posts.

He's posting a lot in Dow Jones threads and showing an understanding of Austrian economics:

Here's an example:

-
> Does anyone see the recession becoming worse than the Great Depression? Besides hugodrax, of course? Razz

Ed:

It's possible, but it would have to be for entirely different reasons. Back then, they didn't intervene in bank failures. Now we do. Back then, they were on the gold standard and couldn't simply inflate their way out of deflation. Now we aren't, and can.
-

Will update and see what else I find. Can't rely on the corrupt media to tell you without editing etc.

Warlord
06-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Ed:

Frown

PPT wins today.

>I've been meaning to find out: what is PPT ?

Ed:

Plunge Protection Team
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plunge_Protection_Team#Plunge_Protection_Team

The guys using your TSP / Social Security Fund to prevent the markets from crashing.

moostraks
06-14-2013, 09:29 AM
I would wager that he has/had and account and has posted here. Just a guess.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Would be amusing to find at whom but I still have high hopes if so he'd stick around so wouldn't really want him outed if he does/did.

moostraks
06-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Ed:

Frown

PPT wins today.

>I've been meaning to find out: what is PPT ?

Ed:

Plunge Protection Team
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plunge_Protection_Team#Plunge_Protection_Team

The guys using your TSP / Social Security Fund to prevent the markets from crashing.:D heeheehee

Warlord
06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Most of his posts aren't interesting and about gaming/computer stuff

He doesn't seem to be a fan of the RIAA when they were suing P2P users or of IP in general.

This one is funny when someone tried to post a (youtube?) of SNL:

Ed:

-
>This video has been removed due to copyright infringement.

Yeah, gee. Let's not try to get the word out that SNL might be funny again or anything.

I hate people.
-

Warlord
06-14-2013, 09:41 AM
This from April 2006. Looks like he was aware of the housing bubble and that a crash was due:

Ed:

-
My life is great except for the fact that while I'm making twice the average income, I could not afford a house in my zip code without robbing a bank.

I'm praying the interest rate skyrockets and ARMs are as popular as rumored.

tangent4ronpaul
06-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Gotta link so we can read them for ourselves?

-t

Warlord
06-14-2013, 09:54 AM
This one is interesting. Thread from 2003 where he's asking some questions about proxies to stay "anonymous". T

He said he was an MCSE:

Ed:

Nice replies, thanks. And for the record, I actually am an MCSE (Win2k)...

Someone else:

I'm somewhat curious as to what the hell you are so paranoid about here...

Ed:

Patriot Act. If they misinterpret that actions I perform, I could be a cyb4r terrorist and that would be very fucking bad.

The obvious solution is don't get caught -- and this is the only thing I can figure, as HTTP, SMTP, and SSL are all involved. If you've got a better method, I assure you that I'm all ears.

Seriously, the reason I'm so concerned is because of the lack of understanding -- that's why I made this thread. I don't want to be paranoid, I want to be protected, but I'm not sure where to draw the line.
-

Someone asks him what he does for a living (Dec 2003):

I'm an MCSE without a degree or clearance who lives in Maryland. Read that as "unemployed." Thanks, tech bubble! I'm currently going back to college to refine my programming skills while I wait for hiring to pick back up.

Someone else posts:

In anycase, if whatever it is you are thinking about doing is likely to be interpreted as hostile to the national security of the United States, well, this thread alone is enough to get you investigated already. So I think were past the point of anonymity really. I happen to have a friend who works on Canine Road there in MD. He reads Ars regularly too. Be careful.

Ed responds:

Canine road, eh? That's on Fort Meade. I used to work there. (grin)

-

Unfortunately i'm more interested in posts between 07-12 and he seems to have been only sporadically posting around then with nothing of interest apart from references to trades in the stock market and Dow predictions.

He started with the CIA in mid 2006 so that explains why there's a ton of posts before then but only a handful after that.

Warlord
06-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Here's a good summary of his posts covering gaming/career advice. In one of them he talks about working in IT for the State department:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/edward-snowdens-online-past-revealed

Warlord
06-14-2013, 10:29 AM
The weird thing is for someone who donated $500 to Ron you'd think there would be something linking him to RP online but can't find anything under his known nicknames even remotely political.

Either he was very careful expressing political opinions online after 2006 due to his work for the CIA or he's using different nicknames.