PDA

View Full Version : Officer cleared after shooting an entire litter of kittens to death in front of children

sailingaway
06-13-2013, 02:45 AM
AF leaves the kitten shooting stories underserved...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/wkyc_kittens_130612a-615x345.jpg

A police department in Ohio on Tuesday defended a humane officer who shot and killed a litter of feral kittens and told nearby children that the animals would be going to “kitty heaven.”

An executive with the Ohio Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals told the Sun News that Humane Officer Barry Accorti had responded to a complaint from a Vista Lake Way homeowner on Monday about a litter of kittens living in her woodpile.

“He informed her that shelters were full and that these cats would be going to kitty heaven,” Ohio SPCA Executive Director Teresa Landon explained to the paper. “She assumed he would be trapping them or something and taking them to a shelter and they would be humanely euthanized if they were not adopted.”

“Instead, he went to his truck and got a gun, which she thought was a tranquilizer gun, and walked around to the back of the house and approximately 15 feet from her back door shot and killed the 8- to 10-week-old kittens.”

Landon said the officer began shooting the animals in front of the homeowner and within in range of her young children.

“Her children were upstairs in view of the windows. They started screaming and crying because they heard the gunshots. They started screaming, ‘Mommy, he’s killing the kittens,’” Landon noted. “It’s heartbreaking… There is no excuse for it. It’s absolutely shameful that someone with the title of humane officer would do this.”

The SPCA called for Accorti to be fired, but North Ridgeville Police Department Chief Mike Freeman released a statement defending his actions.

“The cats were located within the wood pile and euthanized,” Freeman wrote. “The cats were removed from the wood pile and taken from the residence.”

The police chief added:

The complainant urged better communication in the future. NRPD recognizes the concerns of those who believe feral cats should not be killed for simply trying to survive but also acknowledges other research that recognizes the risks associated with these animals and the need to manage feral cats. Research and other animal organizations accept shooting as an acceptable means of euthanasia.

After visiting the scene, talking with the responding officer and re-interviewing the complainant, I have decided his actions were appropriate and have decided not to impose any disciplinary measures for the incident. We will talk with the humane officers about improving their communications with the public. We are here to help those who seek our assistance. Our agency prides itself on not telling people, “It’s not our problem or there is nothing we can do for you.” This would be the easy way out. To walk away and leave a safety issue unresolved is irresponsible. At no time does this agency condone or allow the indiscriminate killing of animals, but we will continue to assist residents when there is a safety or nuisance condition.

The North Ridgeville Police Department said it was forced to take down its Facebook page for hours on Monday due to “overwhelming abuse.”

See more, and video at link: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/12/officer-cleared-after-shooting-litter-of-kittens-in-front-of-kids/

Mani
06-13-2013, 03:31 AM
" To walk away and leave a safety issue unresolved is irresponsible. "

Thank Goodness the officer was their to make those kids safer, we know what a serious danger 8 week old kittens can be.

Quick! Grab your gun! Look what we found! SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!

http://www.dailykitten.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/1182788482feral-kittens.jpg

tod evans
06-13-2013, 03:40 AM
Another symptom of the moral decline of society.

The disease that manifests symptoms such as this is too much government.

Mani
06-13-2013, 03:44 AM
Another symptom of the moral decline of society.

The disease that manifests symptoms such as this is too much government.

Yes. How did things become so twisted that a government official can take a gun and shoot the brains out of trapped baby kittens in front of children, and the government affirms properly protocol was followed?

It appears the government becomes so big that common sense and normal values of good and bad cease to exist.

Mani
06-13-2013, 03:50 AM
How it used to be:

http://www.sanjuanupdate.com/updatepix07/cat-tree.jpg

and now:

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/338/12/338-1229185609-cat-shoot.jpg

kathy88
06-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Humane officer. Oxymoron.

jkr
06-13-2013, 06:35 AM
FUCKING SCUMBAG

V3n
06-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Are people mad because it was in front of the children? Out in the open? With a gun?
or
Are people mad because the cats were killed?

I love cats. I own a cat. But if the shelters are over-populated, they most likely would have been given a lethal injection anyway. What's the difference between that and the way the officer did it?

It was misuse of a gun; it shouldn't have been in front of the children; but the end result would likely be the same.

(I'm expecting neg reps, but this is one of those times I feel like a robot trying to understand humans, please don't be cross)

moostraks
06-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Are people mad because it was in front of the children? Out in the open? With a gun?
or

I love cats. I own a cat. But if the shelters are over-populated, they most likely would have been given a lethal injection anyway. What's the difference between that and the way the officer did it?

It was misuse of a gun; it shouldn't have been in front of the children; but the end result would likely be the same.

(I'm expecting neg reps, but this is one of those times I feel like a robot trying to understand humans, please don't be cross)
Huge difference between legal injection and blowing the brains of kittens out in front of young children as they scream and watch. You have to be pretty insensitive not to realize how much that traumatized those children. Most children are close to nature and do not have the jaded disrespect for life that adults do. So the outrage from me comes from the insensitivity of the officer towards those children and the abuse of power. It seems mocking imo the way he referenced kitty heaven as there appears no forwarning to the family as to the fact the kittens were going to be shot and advice to shield the children from what was to happen. I will leave the robot commentary for someone else to address with you.

tod evans
06-13-2013, 07:07 AM
I hate cats, wouldn't keep one if I were paid.

That said what pisses me off is a government employee shooting any domestic animal that hasn't maimed someone, not one they think might maim, but already has.

Natural Citizen
06-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Most children are close to nature and do not have the jaded disrespect for life that adults do.

Statement of the century.

TonySutton
06-13-2013, 07:12 AM
This happened in my county :(

06-13-2013, 07:22 AM

That said what pisses me off is a government employee shooting any domestic animal that hasn't maimed someone, not one they think might maim, but already has.

In all fairness, they weren't domestic animals. They were feral cats, wild animals.

If he shot rats in the woodpile how would some of you have felt?

They were going to be taken to a shelter and killed anyway. I don't see how a 9mm to the head is any less lethal or instantaneous than an injection.

The guy showed horrible judgement doing this in front of the kids though.

The lady who called obviously wanted them gone, didn't want take care of her problem herself. She learned what happens when you trust the government to do things for you. Tough lesson. Next time she will learn to either take care of them or drive them to a better place and let them go.

amy31416
06-13-2013, 07:23 AM
or

Did someone shoot kittens in front of you when you were a kid?

green73
06-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Come on, Sailing
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?417633-Mom-Officer-shot-kittens-in-front-of-my-kids

tod evans
06-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Cats, dogs ferrets cows, horses, etc. are domestic animals.

Just because someone deems a domestic animal "feral" or "wild" or even mean shouldn't give a government employee authorization to slaughter that animal.

As to your question of "rats in the woodpile"; Nope, there's absolutely no reason what-so-ever for a government employee to even consider shooting them, waste of taxpayer time and equipment...

amy31416
06-13-2013, 07:31 AM
In all fairness, they weren't domestic animals. They were feral cats, wild animals.

If he shot rats in the woodpile how would some of you have felt?

They were going to be taken to a shelter and killed anyway. I don't see how a 9mm to the head is any less lethal or instantaneous than an injection.

The guy showed horrible judgement doing this in front of the kids though.

The lady who called obviously wanted them gone, didn't want take care of her problem herself. She learned what happens when you trust the government to do things for you. Tough lesson. Next time she will learn to either take care of them or drive them to a better place and let them go.

Some gov't loser with a gun out shooting at rats in my woodpile? Yeah--I'd have a problem with that too. But these kids may have actually been watching these kittens grow up and play, etc. Plus, now there's fucking kitten brains and guts in the woodpile--along with bullets. Not to mention screaming kids, who may have learned that same, very important lesson.

Origanalist
06-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Come on, Sailing
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?417633-Mom-Officer-shot-kittens-in-front-of-my-kids

This ones about the officer being cleared.

tod evans
06-13-2013, 07:36 AM

Authorization to pull out their gun and shoot critters at will is what's been given...

Kids/pets/prized registered stock, none of it relevant..:mad:

green73
06-13-2013, 07:38 AM

The other article covered that. This is pure unadulterated malfeasance by Sailing and shall no be tolerated!

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Yah, it's called "NEVER CALL COPS".

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Authorization to pull out their gun and shoot critters at will is what's been given...

Kids/pets/prized registered stock, none of it relevant..:mad:

Yup...

“Her children were upstairs in view of the windows. They started screaming and crying because they heard the gunshots. They started screaming, ‘Mommy, he’s killing the kittens,’” Landon noted. “It’s heartbreaking… There is no excuse for it. It’s absolutely shameful that someone with the title of humane officer would do this.”

Kid, very shortly now, it will not be kittens, it will be mommy getting shot.

And God damn all of us, myself included, who did not do enough to put a stop to it.

I'm sorry child, truly sorry.

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 07:50 AM
AF leaves the kitten shooting stories underserved...

Yah, well, I catch enough shit for my Dead Dog Daily stories...

I regret now, not posting one I came across last week and can't find again.

Something about how a SWAT cop defenestrated some poor bastard's cat while raiding their home.

I didn't post it because, IIRC the guy, at least according to government, was a bad guy, for real, and the cat killing seemed to be an accident.

angelatc
06-13-2013, 07:53 AM

What pisses me off is people calling the government to do things they are chickenshit to do themselves. If you don't want pests living in your woodpile, handle it. It's really not my business you you choose to do that.

Origanalist
06-13-2013, 07:53 AM
The other article covered that. This is pure unadulterated malfeasance by Sailing and shall no be tolerated!

Well, that's different then. Let the punishment be swift and harsh enough that no other mod even thinks of this type of horrendous transgression!

Origanalist
06-13-2013, 07:55 AM
What pisses me off is people calling the government to do things they are chickenshit to do themselves. If you don't want pests living in your woodpile, handle it. It's really not my business you you choose to do that.

Shit, people call the cops if they can't get a hamburger.

TruckinMike
06-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Y'alls complaints are unfounded! Don't you understand that the officers life was at stake?!? He had to do what he had to do --- Officer Safety ----DUH!

For Officer Safety -- Where every Kitten is a killer Kitten!
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/4/47437/924809-zomg_he_has_a_gun_.jpg

06-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Yah, it's called "NEVER CALL COPS".

I learned that lesson 15 years ago.

This guy was likely within the legal boundaries of his job shooting the cats, but showed piss poor judgement, which seems to be typical.

I handle things myself now.

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 08:22 AM
I learned that lesson 15 years ago.

This guy was likely within the legal boundaries of his job shooting the cats, but showed piss poor judgement, which seems to be typical.

I handle things myself now.

You will almost always be better off for doing so.

LibertyEagle
06-13-2013, 08:34 AM

^^ THIS!

AGRP
06-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Animal cruelty charges, jail time, discharging a weapon within city limits, and fines for you. Not for thee.

VBRonPaulFan
06-13-2013, 08:53 AM
hmm, so all i need to do is round up a bunch of feral cops and stick them in a woodpile, call the local authorities and tell them i have a feral problem on my premises.......

brandon
06-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Who the hell calls the police because their are kittens on their property? WTF else was this officer supposed to do? The shelters are full and no one wants the kittens. A bullet is cheaper than having a vet euthanize them. Was it really too much work for the property owner to set a bowl of food outside for them every night and just let them be?

kahless
06-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Why did this woman not try to find a home for the kittens or call around to see which shelter had room for them. Whether it is a government or private agency, the woman called a service called animal control. What idiot does not know that if the shelter is full (typical with all the shelters where I live) most likely the animals are going to be put down. Why did she allow her children to view the situation from the window knowing dam well there is a possibility they could be put down right then and there. What kind of moron is this woman.

Why did this woman not discuss exactly what was going to happen before hand with the animal control officer and be sure the children do not view what was happening.

"Research and other animal organizations accept shooting as an acceptable means of euthanasia." Did the man even know the children were peaking out the window?
I can see the homeowner calling the animal control, guy shows up, takes care of the job without realizing children were watching in the window.

If the animals were not put down you would be dealing with finding cats that died of starvation all over the neighborhood eventually, possibly getting into fights with rabid animals, rabid cats with children around, etc. Maybe this was the humane way of dealing with it.

I do not like it, it is sad but it is a fact of life when you cannot find a home for the kittens. This woman and people need to get out of fairy tale land and come back to reality.

tod evans
06-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Oh bullshit!

Cops shooting kittens?

What a drama queen..........It's the best thing for the kids/kittens my ass.:mad:

Why did this woman not try to find a home for the kittens or call around to see which shelter had room for them. Whether it is a government or private agency, the woman called a service called animal control. What idiot does not know that if the shelter is full (typical with all the shelters where I live) most likely the animals are going to be put down. Why did she allow her children to view the situation from the window knowing dam well there is a possibility they could be put down right then and there. What kind of moron is this woman.

Why did this woman not discuss exactly what was going to happen before hand with the animal control officer and be sure the children do not view what was happening.

"Research and other animal organizations accept shooting as an acceptable means of euthanasia." Did the man even know the children were peaking out the window?
I can see the homeowner calling the animal control, guy shows up, takes care of the job without realizing children were watching in the window.

If the animals were not put down you would be dealing with finding cats that died of starvation all over the neighborhood eventually, possibly getting into fights with rabid animals, rabid cats with children around, etc. Maybe this was the humane way of dealing with it.

I do not like it, it is sad but it is a fact of life when you cannot find a home for the kittens. This woman and people need to get out of fairy tale land and come back to reality.

Origanalist
06-13-2013, 09:15 AM

Or maybe the cop just really likes shooting kittens.

PaulConventionWV
06-13-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm sure he probably feared for his life.

kahless
06-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Oh bullshit!

Cops shooting kittens?

What a drama queen..........It's the best thing for the kids/kittens my ass.:mad:

Obviously you did not read the article nor what I posted. "Humane Officer .. had responded to a complaint from a Vista Lake Way homeowner He informed her that shelters were full and that these cats would be going to kitty heaven,”

Origanalist
06-13-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm sure he probably feared for his life.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc289/gentjim/Gargoyles/PsychoKitty.jpg

kahless
06-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Or maybe the cop just really likes shooting kittens.

Not a cop. A "humane officer". The woman was told the shelter is full and the animals would be put down. Lazy woman did not try to find a home for the animals nor try to find a shelter that was not full. Then bitches when service does the job they told her they were going to do.

Origanalist
06-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Not a cop. A "humane officer". The woman was told the shelter is full and the animals would be put down. Lazy woman did not try to find a home for the animals nor try to find a shelter that was not full. Then bitches when service does the job they told her they were going to do.

He was apparently part of the police force;

The SPCA called for Accorti to be fired, but North Ridgeville Police Department Chief Mike Freeman released a statement defending his actions.

The North Ridgeville Police Department said it was forced to take down its Facebook page for hours on Monday due to “overwhelming abuse.”

We used to have one in our town just like that, maybe we still do. She was part of the force. And this is bullshit, you don't pull up, take out your weapon and start shooting. This "Humane" officer has problems.

Pericles
06-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Who on this board could have predicted that?:mad:

Dary
06-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Everybody knows that you don't shoot kittens.

You drown them. :eek:

kahless
06-13-2013, 09:50 AM
He was apparently part of the police force;

According to their webpage the town has two humane officers. What difference does it make that the humane officers report to the police department.

We used to have one in our town just like that, maybe we still do. She was part of the force. And this is bullshit, you don't pull up, take out your weapon and start shooting. This "Humane" officer has problems.

The officer should have explained that the execution was going to happen on site. If doing the job there was unacceptable to her then the officer should have trapped them and taken it care of it back at the shelter.

I just think the outrage is a bit overblown.

amy31416
06-13-2013, 10:14 AM
It's my impression that once the gun came out, that officer wasn't leaving without shooting the cats. I don't want to defend her, but I think if she had any clue how it would be handled she would have chosen another route.

Now she has a clue. If she does it again, then I'd be willing to condemn her for stupidity/laziness.

kahless
06-13-2013, 10:19 AM
I wonder whether she would have been as outraged if it was done in another manner on the property. The media of course runs with it in its campaign to condition the populace against guns.

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 10:45 AM
I wonder whether she would have been as outraged if it was done in another manner on the property. The media of course runs with it in its campaign to condition the populace against guns.

A teaching moment:

"But you said only police and military should have guns."

Tod
06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
or

Exactly. He not only endangered the kids (what if a bullet had ricocheted?) but he needlessly traumatized them too.

kahless
06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Exactly. He not only endangered the kids (what if a bullet had ricocheted?) but he needlessly traumatized them too.

I agree with you and VN. However possibly he did not know they were in the window or expected the Mom to keep them from viewing.

Origanalist
06-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I agree with you and VN. However possibly he did not know they were in the window or expected the Mom to keep them from viewing.

If you're going to pull a gun and start splattering kittens, maybe you should check, just sayin'.

pcosmar
06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
It should have not been done there and like that.

I love animals. and there are times that you have to deal with a pest animal.
This was not humane. This was not wise.
Animal control has many tools available. Using a handgun on kittens is not one of them.

They should have been trapped,, relocated (to a room without children) and injected with sodium pentobarbital.
That is the way it is done in most civilized communities.

Natural Citizen
06-13-2013, 11:27 AM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc289/gentjim/Gargoyles/PsychoKitty.jpg

Blowback...

http://www.catphotos.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/PhotosOfKittens1.jpg

tommyrp12
06-13-2013, 11:33 AM
it's weird that they say he thought his real gun was his airgun w/tranquilizer.so a trained officer does not know the difference,espeacially after firing the first shot?

i would much rather call a "turtle man" type of pest removal service,everyone and the animals, are safe and you get a good laugh.i don't know how common place those are,but the private sector is definitely the better alternative.

Debbie Downer
06-13-2013, 11:45 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-11150-Grumpy-Cat-GOOD-and-NO-memes-pGrc.jpeg

V3n
06-13-2013, 12:10 PM

Alright.. I'm getting it.. it's kind of a combination of in front of children, gun used, and cats killed (with a split on whether or not rats would matter) - with varying degrees of anger put on each variable. The leaders seem to be in front of children, followed by gun used. The fact that it was a cat seems to be trailing, but still significant.

I get it. And I did state all along that I didn't like the gun use or it being in front of the children.. I guess it was the 'cat' part that I was having trouble being angry about since they were likely to be euthanized all along. Thanks for not hating on me!!

kahless
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM

Animal control has many tools available. Using a handgun on kittens is not one of them.

They should have been trapped,, relocated (to a room without children) and injected with sodium pentobarbital.

I feel the same way and totally agree with that. But this does not rise to the level of the typical AF threads of cops show up and blindly shooting or beating down animals and people unnecessarily.

This looks to be the case of all parties using poor judgement.

edit - I wonder what the cost comparison is between a bullet and sodium pentobarbital. If this was done back at the office would the animal really know the difference between a shot in the back of the head whether a bullet or injection.

jmdrake
06-13-2013, 12:26 PM
I sat in on a case once where a man was accused of filing a false police report. His wife had disappeared and they didn't have the evidence to accuse him of murder, though it was clear that they wanted to. Anyway, part of the evidence brought against him was his adult son telling of how the man had killed a kitten in front of him while he was still a child. That was evidence that the man was a psychopath. Enough said! And no, the "Well they would have been lethally injected later" argument doesn't sway me in the least. If the man had lethally injected the kittens in front of little kids that would have been wrong too. And sure, mommy could have handled it without calling the cops. But she probably thought "Oh I might get rabies" or something. People have been conditioned to believe the gubmit is supposed to handle situations like this. Or have we forgotten the family that almost went to prison for rescuing a deer (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?402819-Indiana-officer-and-wife-could-go-to-jail-for-saving-deer&highlight=deer+prison)?

kahless
06-13-2013, 12:37 PM
I sat in on a case once where a man was accused of filing a false police report. His wife had disappeared and they didn't have the evidence to accuse him of murder, though it was clear that they wanted to. Anyway, part of the evidence brought against him was his adult son telling of how the man had killed a kitten in front of him while he was still a child. That was evidence that the man was a psychopath. Enough said! And no, the "Well they would have been lethally injected later" argument doesn't sway me in the least. If the man had lethally injected the kittens in front of little kids that would have been wrong too. And sure, mommy could have handled it without calling the cops. But she probably thought "Oh I might get rabies" or something. People have been conditioned to believe the gubmit is supposed to handle situations like this. Or have we forgotten the family that almost went to prison for rescuing a deer (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?402819-Indiana-officer-and-wife-could-go-to-jail-for-saving-deer&highlight=deer+prison)?

"in front of", keeps being said over and over again. "Her children were upstairs in view of the windows". I cannot get into this guys ahead but maybe he did not know they were up there looking out the window.

The mother however knew this guy was there to deal with the cats. You would think she would have kept the kids from the windows.

V3n
06-13-2013, 12:51 PM
I feel the same way and totally agree with that. But this does not rise to the level of the typical AF threads of cops show up and blindly shooting or beating down animals and people unnecessarily.

This looks to be the case of all parties using poor judgement.

edit - I wonder what the cost comparison is between a bullet and sodium pentobarbital. If this was done back at the office would the animal really know the difference between a shot in the back of the head whether a bullet or injection.

This is most like what I'm saying too..

And the cops didn't shoot the kittens out of 'self-defense'; it was population control. Folks need to listen to Bob Barker!

moostraks
06-13-2013, 01:17 PM
"in front of", keeps being said over and over again. "Her children were upstairs in view of the windows". I cannot get into this guys ahead but maybe he did not know they were up there looking out the window.

The mother however knew this guy was there to deal with the cats. You would think she would have kept the kids from the windows.

First read pcosmar's response again if necessary. Most folks don't expect animal control to use a hand gun on kittens as a means of dealing with the situation. It is excess and unnecessary force when a lethal shot is available. Of course I abhor glue traps for rats so guess my respect for animals makes me "different".

The woman stated she thought he was going to tranquilize them and did not realize until it was too late what he was doing. It was the officers responsibility to inform the woman he was using lethal force to kill the animals on the spot. She learned the hard way that government when called will then do as it sees fit and clear itself of all wrongdoing. The citizens safety and her children's mental anguish were irrelevant. Anyone with half a soul would have made sure that the adult knew exactly what was going to occur and told her to see to the children. He did not wait or inform her of exactly how the situation was being handled.

Only people who are socially maladjusted would have handled a situation such as this one was handled. The people that work in animal control generally are of two sorts. Depending on how long this person has been doing this job, they may have burned out but they no longer need to be left in that position.

buck000
06-13-2013, 01:23 PM
He's just doing God's work. ;)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2096/2234692181_d18da8d4a4.jpg

heavenlyboy34
06-13-2013, 01:31 PM
or

Aside from animal cruelty and disregard for children present, blowing away kittens for no good reason is a symptom of sociopathy.

Red Green
06-13-2013, 01:31 PM
The don't call it 'litter' for nothing.....

V3n
06-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Aside from animal cruelty and disregard for children present, blowing away kittens for no good reason is a symptom of sociopathy.

A clean shot and the cat feels nothing. I agree about the children. Population control is a good reason.

Becoming a cop is a symptom of sociopathy. :)

tangent4ronpaul
06-13-2013, 01:45 PM
And no one has posted a target with this A-Holes mug on it yet??? WTF???

-t

Xenliad
06-13-2013, 01:48 PM
We need a picture of the scumbag just so people know to keep away from it.

kahless
06-13-2013, 02:22 PM
First read pcosmar's response again if necessary. Most folks don't expect animal control to use a hand gun on kittens as a means of dealing with the situation. It is excess and unnecessary force when a lethal shot is available. Of course I abhor glue traps for rats so guess my respect for animals makes me "different".

The woman stated she thought he was going to tranquilize them and did not realize until it was too late what he was doing. It was the officers responsibility to inform the woman he was using lethal force to kill the animals on the spot. She learned the hard way that government when called will then do as it sees fit and clear itself of all wrongdoing. The citizens safety and her children's mental anguish were irrelevant. Anyone with half a soul would have made sure that the adult knew exactly what was going to occur and told her to see to the children. He did not wait or inform her of exactly how the situation was being handled.

Only people who are socially maladjusted would have handled a situation such as this one was handled. The people that work in animal control generally are of two sorts. Depending on how long this person has been doing this job, they may have burned out but they no longer need to be left in that position.

See underlined. I agree, but who does not ask these questions.

1. “He informed her that shelters were full and that these cats would be going to kitty heaven,”

So he already establishes with her that the kittens would be euthanized. Does he even know she had children and they were looking out the upstairs windows. Not enough information. He should have at this point told her that he would be euthanizing them on the spot.

2. “She assumed he would be trapping them or something and taking them to a shelter and they would be humanely euthanized if they were not adopted.”

So even after he tells her they are going to "kitty heaven" she still thinks they would be "adopted". Hmmm.

She also "assumes", big mistake since you never know who you are dealing with. Granted most people would assume them being trapped and euthanized offsite but just be sure and with kids watching, if it was me I would ask to be sure. (personally I would be finding a no kill shelter or families to adopt them but thats me)

3. “Instead, he went to his truck and got a gun, which she thought was a tranquilizer gun, and walked around to the back of the house and approximately 15 feet from her back door shot and killed....

She sees the guy coming around the house with a gun. 2nd chance to ask what he planned to do but did not.

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 02:29 PM
She sees the guy coming around the house with a gun. 2nd chance to ask what he planned to do but did not.

You do not question a member of the Enforcement Class, Mundane.

Had she made much of a fuss, those kids would have watched Mommy get shot instead of stray cats.

Origanalist
06-13-2013, 02:31 PM

Had she made much of a fuss, those kids would have watched Mommy get shot instead of stray cats.

Officer safety.

tod evans
06-13-2013, 02:36 PM
I'll never understand city folk....

kahless
06-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Nah, as long as she bowed and while bowing asked, it would have been alright. ;)

Sam I am
06-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Cats, dogs ferrets cows, horses, etc. are domestic animals.

Just because someone deems a domestic animal "feral" or "wild" or even mean shouldn't give a government employee authorization to slaughter that animal.

As to your question of "rats in the woodpile"; Nope, there's absolutely no reason what-so-ever for a government employee to even consider shooting them, waste of taxpayer time and equipment...

Cows are domestic animals too, but we kill them all the time

heavenlyboy34
06-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Cows are domestic animals too, but we kill them all the time
They are bred to be killed for food and are slaughtered in a humane manner.

moostraks
06-13-2013, 03:07 PM
See underlined. I agree, but who does not ask these questions.

1. “He informed her that shelters were full and that these cats would be going to kitty heaven,”

So he already establishes with her that the kittens would be euthanized. Does he even know she had children and they were looking out the upstairs windows. Not enough information. He should have at this point told her that he would be euthanizing them on the spot.

2. “She assumed he would be trapping them or something and taking them to a shelter and they would be humanely euthanized if they were not adopted.”

So even after he tells her they are going to "kitty heaven" she still thinks they would be "adopted". Hmmm.

She also "assumes", big mistake since you never know who you are dealing with. Granted most people would assume them being trapped and euthanized offsite but just be sure and with kids watching, if it was me I would ask to be sure. (personally I would be finding a no kill shelter or families to adopt them but thats me)

3. “Instead, he went to his truck and got a gun, which she thought was a tranquilizer gun, and walked around to the back of the house and approximately 15 feet from her back door shot and killed....

When one thinks rationally they do not question irrational individuals about their irrational potential especially when they assume the person they are talking to is not irrational. She called the government because she believes them to be rational people. Most rational people would not believe that going to kitty heaven means they will be killed in the backyard, much less be shot by a gun. As for not knowing about the children, who talks to a grownup by saying they are going to kitty heaven? Potential lies heavy on the officer knowing about the children and that is a snarky statement no matter how you slice it. The officer needs to be removed from their job.

kcchiefs6465
06-13-2013, 03:26 PM
They are bred to be killed for food and are slaughtered in a humane manner.
No they are not.

At least not in most cases.

Same goes for pigs, chickens, or anything else.

You can find humanely treated meat but it will cost you more. Family farms would be your best bet, I'd say.

nobody's_hero
06-13-2013, 03:31 PM
You have to be pretty insensitive not to realize how much that traumatized those children.

Or be a cop. Maybe I'm being redundant.

kahless
06-13-2013, 03:36 PM
When one thinks rationally they do not question irrational individuals about their irrational potential especially when they assume the person they are talking to is not irrational. She called the government because she believes them to be rational people. Most rational people would not believe that going to kitty heaven means they will be killed in the backyard, much less be shot by a gun. As for not knowing about the children, who talks to a grownup by saying they are going to kitty heaven? Potential lies heavy on the officer knowing about the children and that is a snarky statement no matter how you slice it. The officer needs to be
removed from their job.

If someone you do not know uses the term "kitty heaven" then that is about the time you start asking questions and not assume how the person is going to proceed. We do not know if he knew the children were there since he is dealing with kittens so I can very well see mr tough guy using the phrase 'kitty heaven' when dealing with a female.

moostraks
06-13-2013, 03:54 PM
If someone you do not know uses the term "kitty heaven" then that is about the time you start asking questions and not assume how the person is going to proceed. We do not know if he knew the children were there since he is dealing with kittens so I can very well see mr tough guy using the phrase 'kitty heaven' when dealing with a female.

I'd think the guy was ridiculous if he started talking to me like that and would assume he saw the children and was phrasing it as such for that purpose. You seem to be making all sorts of leaps to further justify an unjustifiable action as being somehow an external parties fault for being subjected to witness the act. Even you seem willing to think burly guy may talk in such a patronizing manner to a female. At that point he has rendered her childlike and should then not be shooting the kittens in front of her to shield her from the action.

heavenlyboy34
06-13-2013, 04:03 PM
No they are not.

At least not in most cases.

Same goes for pigs, chickens, or anything else.

You can find humanely treated meat but it will cost you more. Family farms would be your best bet, I'd say.
They are killed with a single industrial shotgun shot to the head. At least, I have been led to believe this is the norm. I don't know about the other industries mentioned except WRT chickens-my grandmama raised them and slaughtered them. Sometimes they're killed by wringing the neck, sometimes the farmer chops off the head with the appropriate blade.

At any rate, thanks for piquing my curiosity. I will look into this.

newbitech
06-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Bad judgement to euthanize in front of children. As far as safety issue, feral cats and dogs carry all kinds of diseases that can spread to the domesticated pet population. I believe it is a safety issue for humans as well because they carry fleas, lice, and ticks.

I lived in an apartment complex at one point in my life that was infested with feral cats because the property manager refused to call the humane society since she knew the cats would be euthanize. There were a couple of people in the complex that argued that it was inhumane to call the animal control because the animals would just be killed.

It got to a point where one of the neighbors started putting out traps and "disappearing" the cats. My dog that I have up to date on all shots and monthlies became infested with fleas because of these cats. I estimate there was 40-50 adult cats running around and who knows how many juveniles and kitten litters up under the stair wells.

It became much more than a nuisance. One of the alpha cats I know became rabid and finally animal control came out and began rounding them up.

Feral cats if allowed to bread will create a safety concern. Not necessarily directly in the form of attacking or biting like a rabid dog, but in the form of spreading disease to domestic pets, and disease carrying pests that can bite humans and spread things like plague, typhus, Lyme, and in children who would play with feral cats, the infamous cat scratch fever.

When I was a kid, I watched my dad take down chickens for dinner. It was horrifying, but he didn't even use a gun, he used his bare hands.

The parent should have had an opportunity to shield the children from that action I suppose, but really in this case I would say that the animal cop didn't really do anything to hurt anyone.

He did probably act cruel tho and he should have save the bullets and just used his bare hands.

kahless
06-13-2013, 04:55 PM
I'd think the guy was ridiculous if he started talking to me like that and would assume he saw the children and was phrasing it as such for that purpose. You seem to be making all sorts of leaps to further justify an unjustifiable action as being somehow an external parties fault for being subjected to witness the act. Even you seem willing to think burly guy may talk in such a patronizing manner to a female. At that point he has rendered her childlike and should then not be shooting the kittens in front of her to shield her from the action.

Not justifying anything you are also making allot of assumptions. Neither one of us were there and we are speculating.

By her own admission she knew they were going to be euthanized so this outrage is all about the kids seeing it and that he used a gun.

Just saying some of this might be over blown and there are assumptions that he knew the kids were looking out the top floor window. How do we know he knew the kids were in the 2nd floor window? We don't and are making assumptions. She did not even know the kids were in the window until after she heard them scream mommy he is shooting the kittens.

moostraks
06-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Not justifying anything you are also making allot of assumptions. Neither one of us were there and we are speculating.

By her own admission she knew they were going to be euthanized so this outrage is all about the kids seeing it and that he used a gun.

Just saying some of this might be over blown and there are assumptions that he knew the kids were looking out the top floor window. How do we know he knew the kids were in the 2nd floor window? We don't and are making assumptions. She did not even know the kids were in the window until after she heard them scream mommy he is shooting the kittens.

Would a person of morals stop after the children start screaming? The children were screaming while the kittens were shot. His recourse to shoot animals on the premise was wrong. Do you think if one of us did this we would not get animal cruelty charges? When he said kitty heaven, 1)he knew the children were there, or 2)was talking to the woman in a childlike manner so as not to offend her, or 3)was mocking her. The first two ways would then usually incline the man to shield those who are sensitive from what is to transpire, the third is just ruthless. So what was the final outcome? What was done was ruthless in todays day and age with the resources stolen from taxpayers for these services.

Sorry but your views give cover for the moralless to be absolved of their immorality at the expense of those who have witnessed their irrational violence.

kahless
06-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Would a person of morals stop after the children start screaming? The children were screaming while the kittens were shot. His recourse to shoot animals on the premise was wrong. Do you think if one of us did this we would not get animal cruelty charges? When he said kitty heaven, 1)he knew the children were there, or 2)was talking to the woman in a childlike manner so as not to offend her, or 3)was mocking her. The first two ways would then usually incline the man to shield those who are sensitive from what is to transpire, the third is just ruthless. So what was the final outcome? What was done was ruthless in todays day and age with the resources stolen from taxpayers for these services.

Sorry but your views give cover for the moralless to be absolved of their immorality at the expense of those who have witnessed their irrational violence.

Nonsense, I am giving cover. I certainly do not approve of shooting kittens in front of screaming children.

My first belief if I phone pest control is that there will be a very good possibility of animal death on-site. I personally would make sure the kids were not in view of it and also ask how exactly the officer is going to proceed on arrival. But then again I would not be in that situation since I would use a no-kill shelter, finding homes for them or use have-a-heart traps to relocate other animals.

I am just skeptical of your version. I already said I did not agree with the way he handled it especially if it when down by your assumptions, children watching and her word. That was pretty cold then and I agree with you.

Did he hear the children screaming? After he fired the first shot why did she not say, wait STOP not here, not in front of the children. Maybe she did, maybe she did not. I am just skeptical of the story and that the outrage might be over blown because a gun was involved.

Mani
06-13-2013, 11:54 PM

I was actually wondering about this.

If a neighbor sees someone take out a gun and start shooting cats brains out in the backyard, and calls the police....Would the person who decided to "Take care of it on his own" now but fucked with Animal Cruelty charges, discharging a weapon, blah blah blah.

TonySutton
06-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Here is an update, this happened in my county.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2013/06/21/poll-continues-to-favor-dismissal-discipline-of-humane-officer/

NORTH RIDGEVILLE — The shooting of kittens by one of the city’s humane officers continues to overwhelmingly elicit overwhelming calls for his dismissal or discipline.
Protesters applaud Monday as members of the Ohio SPCA walk into the North Ridgeville City Hall to attend a Council meeting in North Ridgeville.

Protesters applaud Monday as members
of the Ohio SPCA walk into the North Ridgeville City Hall to attend a Council meeting in North Ridgeville.

That is according to continuing responses to The Chronicle-Telegram’s unscientific straw poll received in the past two days that asked readers whether they felt Humane Officer Barry Accorti should be fired or disciplined for the June 10 incident.

Since a report Wednesday, 17 additional respondents have favored Accorti’s dismissal or discipline, while three supported his actions.

“Just another trigger-happy (expletive),” said one anonymous respondent. “Overpaid and under-educated.”

“I have no problem with euthanasia, but with discretion and dignity to God’s creatures,” said another.

A third poll-taker wrote: “Thank You City of North Ridgeville. I was shopping for a new home, but now after hearing about the quality of your city employees, you’re off my list.”

Of the 577 readers whose answers were tabulated for Wednesday’s story, 442 favored firing or discipline for Accorti, who shot the kittens when responding to a call to a Vista Lake Way home from a woman who said she wanted to be rid of a feral cat and its kittens that were living in a backyard woodpile.

About 135 supported Accorti. more at the link

tod evans
06-22-2013, 09:14 AM
About 135 supported Accorti.

Are there 135 government employees in your county who can read the paper?

TonySutton
07-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Another update

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2013/07/02/council-sets-policy-on-feral-cats/

NORTH RIDGEVILLE — Renewed calls for the firing of Humane Officer Barry Accorti and changes in the way the city deals with feral cats were partially answered at Monday night’s City Council meeting.

After hearing from approximately a dozen people, most opposing Accorti’s fatal shooting of five feral kittens June 10, Mayor David Gillock announced the city will no longer respond to calls for help in dealing with cats with police or city humane officers.

Instead, the city will provide traps for residents who wish to try to take care of feral cats themselves, or provide assistance through local animal shelters and animal rescue groups.

opal
07-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Here's my issue - what the hell is an animal control officer doing with an actual firearm on kitten call????? I can see having one in the vehicle because well.. yeah.. but bringing it to the house for kittens? WTF .. was it his plan all along?

Now if the call had been from a women trapped in her house by a 10' gator.. sure.. break out the firearms