PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson Weighs in on NSA, Says He's Open to Running As a Republican Again

compromise
06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2013/06/12/gary-johnson-on-nsa-gop

Yesterday, Gary Johnson, a former two-term governor (R-NM) and Libertarian presidential candidate, hosted a Google Hangout during which he spoke on a range of topics, including the NSA and his own future in politics.

"The government can actually listen to your conversations from your cell phone even if it's not turned on," Johnson claimed when asked what he thought about the NSA's recently revealed data collection program. "If that becomes widely publicized, does that become that rallying 'Holy shit! We can't continue to do this!'?"

Johnson called the FISA Court and the Patriot Act sources of government encroachment, and asked, "Where is the due process? Shouldn't all of this be transparent?" The debate over these powers, he added, "never occurred," because people never questioned the PATRIOT Act's legitimacy. He believes we'll be having that debate soon, thanks to revelations about the scope of the NSA's data collection program.

Johnson predicts that the NSA scandal will lead to more interest in libertarianism. "Especially after the NSA," he said, "if there's going to be a viable third-party, it's going to be the Libertarian Party." He also speculated about a more mainstream presence. "I wouldn't discount a libertarian nominee of the Republican Party....maybe we've got the opportunity for Democrats to start labeling themselves as Democrats-slash-libertarians."

The chairman of The Our America Initiative was questioned about his own future in the political realm. "I'm not the guy" for Senate or Congress, Johnson insisted. He explained his discontent with the role those offices play in racking up debt. However, he is "not discounting running within the Republican party" again for either governor or president.

Watch the full hangout below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bra5qsNCzYM

Gary still apparently lacks the intellectual capability to understand the likes of Ron, Rand, Amash, Massie and Cruz in the House and Senate aren't racking up debt. However, his openness to running for Governor again as a Republican is a good thing. Maybe he can run in 2018 when Martinez is term-limited out.

compromise
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM
bump

John F Kennedy III
06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Fuck Gary Johnson.

stu2002
06-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Fuck Gary Johnson.

Why?

John F Kennedy III
06-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Why?

Well not physically.

But this for starters:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?416045-Gary-Johnson-on-2012-Cites-Paul-movement-and-apathetic-pot-smokers-4-poor-results&highlight=Gary+johnson

supermario21
06-13-2013, 12:21 PM
If Rand's running, I want Gary to stay the F away from running, though he wouldn't get any support anyways.

HOLLYWOOD
06-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Pot + ADHD = Gary Johnson

Gary's all over the place... All he had to do was run for the US Senate seat in New Mexico. He had a very good chance to win it... but he blew it.

trey4sports
06-13-2013, 12:29 PM
i still like Gary. He should run for governor.

compromise
06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
If Rand's running, I want Gary to stay the F away from running, though he wouldn't get any support anyways.

I'm sure all 10 of the Reason libertarians would support Gary.

supermario21
06-13-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm sure all 10 of the Reason libertarians would support Gary.

Yeah, and since Gary worships CATO/Reason he'll be running on a platform of expanded background checks and defending the NSA because "marriage equality" is more important.

alucard13mm
06-13-2013, 01:03 PM
I can see some advantages with Gary Johnson running as well. He can help keep the debates sane and voice his support for Rand...

HOWEVER, I think Gary could siphon enough votes to possibly make Rand lose by a few % =| in some states.

supermario21
06-13-2013, 01:35 PM
I can see some advantages with Gary Johnson running as well. He can help keep the debates sane and voice his support for Rand...

HOWEVER, I think Gary could siphon enough votes to possibly make Rand lose by a few % =| in some states.

Would Gary support Rand? I'd just see him labeling Rand a bigot because he doesn't support federal gay marriage and abortion rights. He would've called Ron a porker if Ron was a frontrunner.

RonPaulMall
06-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Gary's all over the place... All he had to do was run for the US Senate seat in New Mexico. He had a very good chance to win it... but he blew it.

Blowing it implies it was something he would have wanted. Gary Johnson has never been a legislator and any time the prospect has been raised he's responded in a way that suggests he would rather claw his eyes out than spend his time in a state of federal legislative body. A good applicant isn't any good unless he's willing to do the job.

compromise
06-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Blowing it implies it was something he would have wanted. Gary Johnson has never been a legislator and any time the prospect has been raised he's responded in a way that suggests he would rather claw his eyes out than spend his time in a state of federal legislative body. A good applicant isn't any good unless he's willing to do the job.

Seeing how bad the Senate is getting nowadays, maybe it's time for a Senator that doesn't "do their job". Better than a yes vote on all the bad stuff.

PSYOP
06-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Just go away, Gary.

LibertyEagle
06-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Gary should run for U.S. Senate. It just don't see how it would be advantageous at all to the cause for him to run for President again. It would just muddy the water.