PDA

View Full Version : Snowden: The US government are hypocrites!

Warlord
06-12-2013, 01:17 PM
“We hack network backbones — like huge Internet routers, basically — that give us access to the communications of hundreds of thousands of computers without having to hack every single one,” he told the newspaper.

According to Snowden, the NSA has engaged in more than 61,000 hacking operations worldwide, including hundreds aimed at Chinese targets. Among the targets were universities, businesses and public officials.

Snowden told the Hong Kong newspaper that he was describing what he says are U.S. cyber attacks on Chinese targets to illustrate “the hypocrisy of the U.S. government when it claims that it does not target civilian infrastructure, unlike its adversaries.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/snowden-wants-people-of-hong-kong-to-decide-my-fate/2013/06/12/a69e94ee-d370-11e2-a73e-826d299ff459_story.html?hpid=z1

/Hero

Cap
06-12-2013, 01:24 PM
The establishment and their media minions have the long knives out today for Snowden. In response and like a boss, he fires back with this shot across the bow.

Varin
06-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Bad PR move.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Bad PR move.

Brilliant more like. Huge sympathy for him now in China. No way they extradite him

Warlord
06-12-2013, 02:17 PM
The Chinese newspaper's website is down!

Warlord
06-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Rally planned

-
Hong Kong activists are planning a rally in support of Edward Snowden, in an indication of the legal and social controversies that could unfold in the city as the NSA whistleblower's case unfolds.

Snowden, whose identity was revealed by the Guardian on Sunday, arrived in Hong Kong on 20 May and spent three weeks holed up in a luxury hotel before checking out on Monday afternoon. Snowden's location is unknown, but he is widely thought to still be in the city.

Hong Kong, a city of 7 million people, is technically a part of China but maintains an independent judiciary, media and education system. The territory has an extradition agreement with the US, but it can offer protection for fugitives who face political persecution or torture at home.

A group of 11 local organisations, many of them human rights NGOs, plans to hold the rally at 3pm on Saturday, according to a press release posted online on Wednesday afternoon. "We call on Hong Kong to respect international legal standards and procedures relating to the protection of Snowden; we condemn the US government for violating our rights and privacy; and we call on the US not to prosecute Snowden," it said.

Experts say that if the US does issue an extradition request, which it probably will do, Snowden could lodge a series of appeals, causing the resulting legal battle to stretch on for months or years.

Snowden told the Guardian he had fled to Hong Kong because of its "strong tradition of free speech". In doing so he galvanised local activists and politicians who claim that the territory's press freedom has eroded in recent years under pressure from Beijing.

"The environment is being changed very slowly, with self-censorship in media and so on," said Charles Mok, a member of Hong Kong's legislative council who will give a speech at the rally. "We definitely see this trend, with more and more people trying to behave and not upset Beijing.

"Making that comment: that's a good thing for us to hear, from somebody who is in the middle of a story like this."

The rally's press release said the participants would march past a Hong Kong government office and the city's US consulate, and suggested that they bring posters reading: "defend free speech, protect Snowden", "no extradition", "respect Hong Kong law", "shame on NSA", "stop internet surveillance" and "betray Snowden = betray freedom".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/12/hong-kong-rally-edward-snowden

TheTexan
06-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Looks like this guy knows how to play the game. Hopefully he continues to play his cards right

Warlord
06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Paging Frank. Where are TNA writers?

Related: Snowden at 18: Public education failed me (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?417688-Snowden-at-18-Public-education-failed-me)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
“We hack network backbones — like huge Internet routers, basically — that give us access to the communications of hundreds of thousands of computers without having to hack every single one,” he told the newspaper.

As far as the US goes, I thought it was common knowledge that the companies willingly provided access to the backbones.

TheTexan
06-12-2013, 04:01 PM
As far as the US goes, I thought it was common knowledge that the companies willingly provided access to the backbones.

Yes im sure he was referring to hacking less cooperative countries

llepard
06-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Looks like this guy knows how to play the game. Hopefully he continues to play his cards right

This guy has brains and balls. 29 years old and does not like what he sees. Others of his generation will join him. Time to go long freedom, flat organizations and sound money-- short hierarchical governments, statists, and fiat.

Being an optimist this guy made my day, week and year.

Potential to be a historic figure.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 05:31 PM
This guy has brains and balls. 29 years old and does not like what he sees. Others of his generation will join him. Time to go long freedom, flat organizations and sound money-- short hierarchical governments, statists, and fiat.

Being an optimist this guy made my day, week and year.

Potential to be a historic figure.

Will you help with his legal fee's? :D

llepard
06-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Yes.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Yes.

Excellent :) I am sure he won't be short of offers but we have no way of contacting him yet. If he puts the call out I am sure he will get what he needs.

This will be epic.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Your move Obama.

llepard
06-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Your move Obama.

This one is going to be tough for Barry. No good choices from where he sits. The kid has outmaneuvered him.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 06:09 PM
This one is going to be tough for Barry. No good choices from where he sits. The kid has outmaneuvered him.

DNC polling it as we speak. We'll know the answer soon.

llepard
06-12-2013, 06:14 PM
DNC polling it as we speak. We'll know the answer soon.

Brilliant. LOL. If there were such a poll I'm thinking Snowden wins. Have to be a real statist asshole to support Big Brother. Even sheep have some self preservation instincts in a poll.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Brilliant. LOL. If there were such a poll I'm thinking Snowden wins. Have to be a real statist asshole to support Big Brother. Even sheep have some self preservation instincts in a poll.

That's why you've not seen Barry for about 3 days. They're trying to figure this one out.

Old cricket saying from Pakistan: "stumped".

AuH20
06-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Snowden emerges, declares his case and then waits while the howitzers are rollled out, only to withhold the most damaging aspects of his "investigation" for last. I think he's keenly aware how the game is played.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Some more comments from the interview:

-
“I will never feel safe.

“Things are very difficult for me in all terms, but speaking truth to power is never without risk,” he said. “It has been difficult, but I have been glad to see the global public speak out against these sorts of systemic violations of privacy.

“All I can do is rely on my training and hope that world governments will refuse to be bullied by the United States into persecuting people seeking political refuge.”

Asked if he had been offered asylum by the Russian government, he said: “My only comment is that I am glad there are governments that refuse to be intimidated by great power”.

The interview comes on the same day NSA chief General Keith Alexander appeared before Congress to defend his agency over the leaks. It was his first appearance since the explosive revelations were made last week. Alexander’s prepared remarks did not specifically address revelations about the Prism program.

Snowden's revelations threaten to test new attempts to build US-Sino bridges after a weekend summit in California between the nations' presidents, Barack Obama and Xi Jinping.

If true, Snowden's allegations lend credence to China's longstanding position that it is as much a victim of hacking as a perpetrator, after Obama pressed Xi to rein in cyber-espionage by the Chinese military.

Tens of thousands of Snowden’s supporters have signed a petition calling for his pardon in the United States while many have donated money to a fund to help him.

“I’m very grateful for the support of the public,” he said. “But I ask that they act in their interest – save their money for letters to the government that breaks the law and claims it noble.

“The reality is that I have acted at great personal risk to help the public of the world, regardless of whether that public is American, European, or Asian.”

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1259508/edward-snowden-us-government-has-been-hacking-hong-kong-and-china

Warlord
06-12-2013, 08:03 PM
(Reuters) - Roughly one in three Americans say the former security contractor who leaked details of top-secret U.S. surveillance activity is a patriot and should not be prosecuted, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Wednesday.

Some 23 percent of those surveyed said former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden is a traitor while 31 percent said he is a patriot. Another 46 percent said they did not know.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/12/us-usa-security-poll-idUSBRE95B1AF20130612
-

46% dont know/don't care, fast asleep while liberties are stolen.

Anti Federalist
03-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Has anybody seen or talked to Larry Lepard?

Ronin Truth
03-02-2015, 08:18 AM
It's much worse than that, Ed.