PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe it is immoral to raise your kids in an area where you can't carry?

Reason
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Do you believe it is immoral to raise your kids in an area where you can't carry a firearm legally to protect your family should the need arise?

*Please don't bother posting all the exceptions of not being able to move due to jobs etc, in this question we assume you have the ability to move to AZ versus CA for example, and still be able to survive, even if there is difficulty involved in making the move.

ie: You and your wife are recently married and planning on having kids, you know that you live in a particular region that is not going to allow you to carry legally.

Your choices then become:

Carry illegally and risk everything, prison time etc.

Move to some other area that allows you to carry legally.

kathy88
06-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Immoral? No. Utterly idiotic? Yes.

Christian Liberty
06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
There is no place where carrying a gun is illegal in the US. There are some places where thugs with guns will threaten you if you do. Dealing with them just as you would any other thug is not immoral, at least constitutionally speaking. That said, I wouldn't say its "Immoral" even if that were not the case.

thoughtomator
06-12-2013, 12:48 PM

I really don't think we need a poll to come to something closely resembling this conclusion.

Reason
06-12-2013, 12:49 PM
There is no place where carrying a gun is illegal in the US. There are some places where thugs with guns will threaten you if you do. Dealing with them just as you would any other thug is not immoral, at least constitutionally speaking. That said, I wouldn't say its "Immoral" even if that were not the case.

The thugs with gun will do a lot more than just threaten.

They will kidnap you and hold you in rape rooms for years...

Sam I am
06-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Your choices then become:

Carry illegally and risk everything, prison time etc.

Move to some other area that allows you to carry legally.

You can also u know... just not carry a weapon.

Anti Federalist
06-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Agreed, not immoral.

I'm assuming you mean immoral in that you would lack the ability to defend them from attack, ie: they are "unsafe".

Then it becomes immoral to let them ride a bike without a helmet, expose them to tobacco smoke, climb trees without a safety harness and so on.

It is not the smartest thing in the world to stay, however, since a state that prohibits personal arms, is likely to prohibit many other things as well, leading to mindset of servitude and compliance.

Anti Federalist
06-12-2013, 12:54 PM
You can also u know... just not carry a weapon.

You could also, u know...just let the government monitor your calls.

Compliance is not what the OP was driving at, IMO.

pcosmar
06-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Immoral,,no.
Unwise, unfortunate reality, Yes.

Though I made the choice years back not to bring children into this screwed up world.

Not an easy decision.

Philhelm
06-12-2013, 01:02 PM
The only logical answer is "no," since the question implies external coersion. However, it is immoral for people to deny others the right to defend themselves as they see fit.

Sam I am
06-12-2013, 01:29 PM
You could also, u know...just let the government monitor your calls.

Compliance is not what the OP was driving at, IMO.

The question was whether or not it was moral to live in an area which doesn't allow you to carry guns, and it pre-supposes that you always carry a gun when you can, but I'm contesting that notion.

I personally don't own a gun, but I'm pretty sure the area I live in allows me to own one. I really just don't need one. It's not like everyone out there is trying to get me.

Now I don't know what horrible neighborhoods that you all live in, but I personally am not afraid of getting mugged in the street, and If it did happen, owning a gun really wouldn't make me feel that much safer anyways.

Christian Liberty
06-12-2013, 01:45 PM
The thugs with gun will do a lot more than just threaten.

They will kidnap you and hold you in rape rooms for years...
True, for some reason I didn't think of that. But you're right. Its not actually illegal though. The constitution makes it legal. As such, I do not believe that it is immoral to treat them exactly as you would robbers breaking into your house. It is no more "Illegal" to carry a gun anywhere in this country than it is to resist a thief. You just might be killed or locked in prison if you do.
I get that, and why, the ancaps reject government as such. But IF there is any legitimate law in this country, its the constitution. Everything else is just thugs with guns.
The question was whether or not it was moral to live in an area which doesn't allow you to carry guns, and it pre-supposes that you always carry a gun when you can, but I'm contesting that notion.

I personally don't own a gun, but I'm pretty sure the area I live in allows me to own one. I really just don't need one. It's not like everyone out there is trying to get me.

Now I don't know what horrible neighborhoods that you all live in, but I personally am not afraid of getting mugged in the street, and If it did happen, owning a gun really wouldn't make me feel that much safer anyways.

We aren't worried about criminals that will actually be punished for their deeds. We're worried about the ones that can legally get away with crime. Ie. Government. And I say that as someone who doesn't own a gun yet, but uses the fact that he's still in high school (technically) as an excuse. And the fact that I live in the Democratic People's Republic of New York. (DPNYK).

Anti Federalist
06-12-2013, 04:36 PM

As a matter of statistical fact, you would be, but I understand that feelings are all that matters these days.

Not that I don't understand of course.

I "feel" the same way about seat belts and motorcycle helmets.

And that is the beauty of living in a "free" state as opposed to a prohibitionist state.

We both get to decide for ourselves.

erowe1
06-12-2013, 04:41 PM
*Please don't bother posting all the exceptions of not being able to move due to jobs etc

This caveat undermines the point of the poll. Any time you consider different places to live you have to weigh all the costs and benefits of all the options. You can't just pick one, unless you're saying that that one by itself outweighs everything else.

Anti Federalist
06-12-2013, 04:42 PM
This caveat undermines the point of the poll. Any time you consider different places to live you have to weigh all the costs and benefits of all the options. You can't just pick one, unless you're saying that that one by itself outweighs everything else.

That one is a bellweather for a whole slew of other choice sets though.

pcosmar
06-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Growing up,, there were guns in every home. Usually prominently displayed is a glass case (unlocked) in the living or dining room.
They were common and ever present.. There was then and now,, very little crime.
At 8-10 years old I had rifles hanging on my bedroom wall, at 13 there was one of my own.

Police were rare. Crime was nonexistent.
I have lived and traveled all across this country. I would prefer to be armed,, at all times.
Not only does it prevent crime, it keeps people polite.

erowe1
06-12-2013, 05:11 PM
That one is a bellweather for a whole slew of other choice sets though.

Yeah, I agree with that. But things like jobs, relationships, and goals factor in too.

I know missionaries who have taken their children to live in places a lot more dangerous than California, and I'd have an easier time calling myself immoral for not doing that than them immoral for doing it.

Reason
06-12-2013, 05:27 PM

I would advise caution for the following reasons.

1. Think twice about the sources you use for information that you then use to determine the potential likelihood of various possible incidents.

What do I mean?

I mean that the mainstream news and even the majority of the alternative news does NOT bother to cover the DAILY news stories from all across the country where average Americans who are gun owners use their guns to protect themselves and their families.

2. I would be willing to wager that neither you nor any of your immediate family has ever been a victim of violent crime.

Why do I say this?

Because once you have been a victim your perspective on defensive planning and the priority you put on it WILL CHANGE.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-12-2013, 05:51 PM
There is no place where carrying a gun is illegal in the US.

You sound like you aren't familiar with the law in various jurisdictions.

torchbearer
06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
if you are an agorist, does it matter?