PDA

View Full Version : Germans accuse U.S. of Stasi tactics

green73
06-12-2013, 06:02 AM
German outrage over a U.S. Internet spying program has broken out ahead of a visit by Barack Obama, with ministers demanding the president provide a full explanation when he lands in Berlin next week and one official likening the tactics to those of the East German Stasi.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel's spokesman has said she will raise the issue with Obama in talks next Wednesday, potentially casting a cloud over a visit that was designed to celebrate U.S.-German ties on the 50th anniversary John F. Kennedy's famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech.

Government surveillance is an extremely sensitive topic in Germany, where memories of the dreaded Stasi secret police and its extensive network of informants are still fresh in the minds of many citizens.

In a guest editorial for Spiegel Online on Tuesday, Justice Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger said reports that the United States could access and track virtually all forms of Internet communication were "deeply disconcerting" and potentially dangerous.

"The more a society monitors, controls and observes its citizens, the less free it is," she said.

"The suspicion of excessive surveillance of communication is so alarming that it cannot be ignored. For that reason, openness and clarification by the U.S. administration itself is paramount at this point. All facts must be put on the table."

cont
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/11/cnews-us-usa-security-germany-idCABRE95A0T820130611

Lucille
06-12-2013, 07:54 AM
LOL Man, the US has lost all credibility.

"Land of the free, Home of the Brave..." Don't make them laugh.

Pericles
06-12-2013, 08:45 AM
The experts know what they are talking about.

belian78
06-12-2013, 09:37 AM
I am a doughnut.

green73
06-12-2013, 09:51 AM
I am a doughnut.

You not just any doughnut. You're a jelly doughnut.

Anti Federalist
06-12-2013, 09:57 AM
The experts know what they are talking about.

You sir, have won today's internet.

Elias Graves
06-12-2013, 10:04 AM
I thought Barry was gonna make everyone love us again.