PDA

View Full Version : Snowden has FOUR laptops full of secrets

Warlord
06-12-2013, 03:42 AM
Woah... Also he's very smart and did his homework. He didn't bother going to the establishment propaganda mouthpieces like the NYT and sought out Greenwald.

-
As he pulled a small black suitcase and carried a selection of laptop bags over his shoulders, no one would have paid much attention to Ed Snowden as he arrived at Hong Kong International Airport. But Snowden was not your average tourist or businessman. In all, he was carrying four computers that enabled him to gain access to some of the US government's most highly-classified secrets.

Today, just over three weeks later, he is the world's most famous spy, whistleblower and fugitive, responsible for the biggest intelligence breach in recent US history. News organisations around the globe have described him as "America's Most Wanted". Members of Congress have denounced him as a "defector" whose actions amount to treason and have demanded he be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

His supporters argue that his actions have opened up a much-needed debate on the balance between security and privacy in the modern world.

So is he whistleblower or traitor? That debate is still raging.

Snowden, aged 29, had flown to Hong Kong from Hawaii, where he had been working for the defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton at the National Security Agency, the biggest spy surveillance organisation in the world. Since Monday morning, he has gone underground. Hong Kong-based journalists, joined by the international press, have been hunting for him. At the height of the search, reporters recruited Twitter followers to see if they could successfully identify the lighting and other hotel furnishings shown in the video in which he went public. They did: the $330-a-night Mira Hotel, on Nathan Road, the busy main shopping drag in Kowloon district.

Knowing it was only a matter of time before he was found, Snowden checked out at lunchtime on Monday. It is thought he is now in a safe house.

What happens now? The US is on the verge of pressing criminal charges against him and that would lead to extradition proceedings, with a view to bringing him back to the US for trial and eventually jail.

If America is planning to jail for life Bradley Manning, who was behind the 2010 WikiLeaks release of tens of thousands of state department memos, what retribution lies in store for Snowden, who is guilty of leaking on a much bigger scale? The documents Manning released were merely "classified". Snowden's were not only "Top Secret", but circulation was extremely limited.

For an American, the traditional home for the kind of story Snowden was planning to reveal would have been the New York Times. But during extensive interviews last week with a Guardian team, he recalled how dismayed he had been to discover the Times had a great scoop in election year 2004 – that the Bush administration, post 9/11, allowed the NSA to snoop on US citizens without warrants – but had sat on it for a year before publishing.

Snowden said this was a turning point for him, confirming his belief that traditional media outlets could not be trusted. He looked around for alternative journalists, those who were both anti-establishment and at home with blogging and other social media. The member of this generation that he most trusted was the Guardian commentator Glenn Greenwald.

In what were to be the last words of the interview, he quoted Benjamin Franklin: "Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."

Snowden recited it slowly. For him, it had a special resonance.

He has gone underground for now. But this saga is far from over.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/11/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-profile

LibertyEagle
06-12-2013, 04:13 AM
Woah... Also he's very smart and did his homework. He didn't bother going to the establishment propaganda mouthpieces like the NYT and sought out Greenwald.

From what I read elsewhere, he did go to them, but they wouldn't agree to his requirements.

AlexAmore
06-12-2013, 04:26 AM
From what I read elsewhere, he did go to them, but they wouldn't agree to his requirements.

I bet they regret that now.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 04:26 AM

Read the profile. He never went to the propagandists. WaPo got their story through Greenwald and his fellow reporter. Although they should never have bothered collaborating. WaPo have not been kind

Warlord
06-12-2013, 04:29 AM
By the way John Boehner calling him a traitor along with other political figures will surely help his case if he claims political asylum. It doesn't get much better than being able to play video of the Speaker of the House accusing you of being a traitor and saying to a judge in Hong Kong:

"See... I'm being persecuted. How can I possibly receive a fair trial?".

Now what's interesting is Boehner would never have said that without knowing the implications he could have in this case by making this charge.

Someone told him to say that and by doing so he's helping Ed indirectly.

Could there be a power struggle in the State's security apparatus? Could other agencies be uncomfortable with what the NSA are up to or what they're trying to build in Utah?

Could Boehner have been asked to say this as part of a deal with Ed - via an intermediary - to not leak any more stuff?

'Say this and i'll stop since it's going to help me get political asylum'.

We'll be able to tell if Greenwald produces any more. He's said he has the material but his public statements and bravado could have been designed to put pressure on Boehner and his handlers to make that statement to aid Ed.

Notice no further revelations have come out since Ed went on camera. This whole thing is being carefully controlled.

I also read the Guardian's UK editor is in New York. He could be the one conducting the negotiations. Why does he need to be in NY? All intermediaries would trust the impartial editor to get the best deal possible.

Fascinating.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 04:39 AM
Remember Boehner is majorly tied into the State and its apparatus as Speaker of the House. He's one of the most senior members of the US government. He came out and flat out called Ed a traitor on national TV in a sit down interview with a known propagandist Stephanopoulos. That whole thing was setup.

Boehner rarely gives interviews and everything he ever utters he has to be careful with since he basically represents 230+ members of the GOP conference so for him to say what he did was highly unusual.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 04:59 AM
Notice Obama has been kept away from the press/cameras for a few days. He made a fool of himself on Friday. They forced him to defend these programs.

Basically there HAS been a huge overreach. Members of Congress are saying they want to change the law and do it quickly on a bipartisan basis. None of them were aware of this.

Obama on friday was like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Then as soon as Ed reveals himself Feinstein and Boehner are calling him a 'traitor' LOL. There must have been a deal done for him to stop leaking or to return the FOUR laptops in return for them calling him a traitor on the record so he can secure political asylum. Additional leverage provided by the fact that he's not far from China in an autonomous state and they dont want those laptops getting in their hands. No doubt the DoJ will go through the motions in the coming weeks but there might have been a written assurance provided by the president directly to Ed.

The Chinese PM was in the US meeting Obama when all this happened !!

I'm going to make a timeline later and study it because this whole thing has been interesting.

Now you're seeing the Congress briefed on events and they're horified and want to change the law:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/12/anger-mounts-congress-telephone-surveillance-programmes

Read the quotes. I knew there was problems when Sensenbrenner said the PATRIOT Act was never meant to allow this. Writing's on the wall when he says that.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 05:17 AM
Ed might have also asked for a pay off like $1m in cash for his laptops.

HK was a good choice for him. He's next to China so scares the shit out of the administration and they have full banking facilities to enable the payoff. Ed smirked when he said "we have a CIA station up the road from the hotel. I imagine they're going to be very busy this week".

He was refering to a consulate no doubt and spilt some beans. He's telling us the CIA USE THAT CONSULATE like they do many others under diplomatic cover (think Benghazi).

My god... this man has not only EXPOSED these huge programs, panicked the whole Congress and National security community but he might have also just blackmailed the president AND got away with it.

I wonder how many Bernanke bucks he got out of them!

This is amazing.

Ed is not stupid. He's set this whole thing up to expose their illegal programs and escape. It's brilliant LOL.

CPUd
06-12-2013, 05:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/doZc6aF.gif

Warlord
06-12-2013, 05:36 AM
CPU'd, why don't your post your thoughts on my morning thesis and not some picture?

V3n
06-12-2013, 05:52 AM
CPU'd, why don't your post your thoughts on my morning thesis and not some picture?

I think (s)he's saying, 'you're making quite a leap'. (I'm not saying that, that's just my interpretation of the picture.)

(I'm reserving judgment on what you have written here.)

tangent4ronpaul
06-12-2013, 06:37 AM
Ed smirked when he said "we have a CIA station up the road from the hotel. I imagine they're going to be very busy this week".

He was refering to a consulate no doubt and spilt some beans. He's telling us the CIA USE THAT CONSULATE like they do many others under diplomatic cover (think Benghazi).

It's not exactly a secret that ALL US embassies house CIA field stations...

-t

Warlord
06-12-2013, 06:52 AM
It's not exactly a secret that ALL US embassies house CIA field stations...

-t

Yeah of course it's kinda of like a joke he'd say that. He's goading them but doing it in an honorable way and not revealing anything specific just like when he revealed Court order/PRISM/Boundless Informant.. And why does he think they're going to be busy?

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Was waiting for something this morning so I unfortunately sat down and saw what was on the news. Kind of disgusted how the news portrays him as some criminal for exposing a crime being done against the American people. No one would feel comfortable with an agent sitting behind them watching everything they do on the internet. Logging everything you do is no different

Lucille
06-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Greenwald said he is definitely going to be publishing more, but it takes time to get it all together. Also, some people think Obama hasn't said much because he's waiting to see what else they have. "Oh what a tangled web we weave..."

Pols are always shooting off their stupid, irresponsible mouths. Obama proclaimed Manning guilty on live television, and it didn't help him.

(I still want to know what O Duce has on Justice Roberts that got him to change his ACA ruling at the last minute.)

Warlord
06-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Greenwald said he is definitely going to be publishing more, but it takes time to get it all together. Also, some people think Obama hasn't said much because he's waiting to see what else they have. "Oh what a tangled web we weave..."

Pols are always shooting off their stupid, irresponsible mouths. Obama proclaimed Manning guilty on live television, and it didn't help him.

(I still want to know what O Duce has on Justice Roberts that got him to change his ACA ruling at the last minute.)

Greenwald is bluffing. There will be no more. That's my bold prediction. The deal is done and the laptops will be returned along with the encryption keys. He'll get political asylum by showing the judge the tape of Speaker Boehner accusing him of a crime punishable by death (treason).

No judge in a common law state like HK will accept extradition when a high ranking politician (third in the US government) is right there accusing you of a crime punishable by death. He wins and we never see him again. The only question is how much Bernanke bucks he got to start his new life. The gf will fly out. He'll need a lot of $$$ to buy a place in HK so that's why I think he's got a pay off too.

erowe1
06-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Today, just over three weeks later, he is the world's most famous spy, whistleblower and fugitive, responsible for the biggest intelligence breach in recent US history.

Biggest breach in US history?

Is that based on stuff Greenwald knows about that hasn't been publicized yet? Or is that supposed to be based on what's already come out? If the latter, it's hard to see how that claim could be true.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Biggest breach in US history?

Is that based on stuff Greenwald knows about that hasn't been publicized yet? Or is that supposed to be based on what's already come out? If the latter, it's hard to see how that claim could be true.

Downloading four laptops worth of shit from the NSA's servers is a pretty big breach (possibly the biggest). The speculation im indulging in suggests he's done a deal and those laptops will be returned or if his conditions aren't met they get handed over to the Chinese..

He's blackmailing Obama and he's going to get away with it.

If I was him i'd ask for at least $10m to be wired to a bank account in HK and say cya later.

Lucille
06-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Greenwald is bluffing. There will be no more. That's my bold prediction. The deal is done and the laptops will be returned along with the encryption keys. He'll get political asylum by showing the judge the tape of Speaker Boehner accusing him of a crime punishable by death (treason).

No judge in a common law state like HK will accept extradition when a high ranking politician (third in the US government) is right there accusing you of a crime punishable by death. He wins and we never see him again. The only question is how much Bernanke bucks he got to start his new life. The gf will fly out. He'll need a lot of $$$ to buy a place in HK so that's why I think he's got a pay off too.

I'll take that bet! I can't wait to see what else they have.

Here is where Greenwald said it takes time to do journalism: https://twitter.com/bcleary09/status/344420218598223874

erowe1
Downloading four laptops worth of shit from the NSA's servers is a pretty big breach (possibly the biggest).

That's just an abstraction unless you know what's in the laptops. For all I know it could just be a huge dump of PRISM data.

And why four laptops anyway? That doesn't seem practical.

jbauer
I don't think our politicians are that smart, maybe I'm not giving them enough credit?

By the way John Boehner calling him a traitor along with other political figures will surely help his case if he claims political asylum. It doesn't get much better than being able to play video of the Speaker of the House accusing you of being a traitor and saying to a judge in Hong Kong:

"See... I'm being persecuted. How can I possibly receive a fair trial?".

Now what's interesting is Boehner would never have said that without knowing the implications he could have in this case by making this charge.

Someone told him to say that and by doing so he's helping Ed indirectly.

Could there be a power struggle in the State's security apparatus? Could other agencies be uncomfortable with what the NSA are up to or what they're trying to build in Utah?

Could Boehner have been asked to say this as part of a deal with Ed - via an intermediary - to not leak any more stuff?

'Say this and i'll stop since it's going to help me get political asylum'.

We'll be able to tell if Greenwald produces any more. He's said he has the material but his public statements and bravado could have been designed to put pressure on Boehner and his handlers to make that statement to aid Ed.

Notice no further revelations have come out since Ed went on camera. This whole thing is being carefully controlled.

I also read the Guardian's UK editor is in New York. He could be the one conducting the negotiations. Why does he need to be in NY? All intermediaries would trust the impartial editor to get the best deal possible.

Fascinating.

erowe1
06-12-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't think our politicians are that smart, maybe I'm not giving them enough credit?

I agree.

And it's not just that. If they want to assassinate him, they still will.

I almost wonder if he'd be better off returning to the US, remaining in the public eye, and going to prison.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Boehner would not accuse an individual of a crime punishable by death like that.

Politicians are smart. Boehner is extremely experienced and has risen to the top. Everything he says in a sit down interview with Stephonpolous is carefully thought through. He rarely gives interviews let alone accuse people of crimes. He could have said "i'm not going to comment..." as he would surely know he's prejudicing an investigation

Warlord
06-12-2013, 08:39 AM
I agree.

And it's not just that. If they want to assassinate him, they still will.

I almost wonder if he'd be better off returning to the US, remaining in the public eye, and going to prison.

If they touch him the chinese get 4 laptops full of NSA information (potentially 1tb or more of top secret data). He's planned this very carefully. He has no intention of being killed or spending any time in prison. He's done a deal for the laptops.

angelatc
06-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Read the profile. He never went to the propagandists. WaPo got their story through Greenwald and his fellow reporter. Although they should never have bothered collaborating. WaPo have not been kind

He went to WaPo, but WaPo wouldn't agree to his terms. http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/code-name-verax-snowden-in-exchanges-with-post-reporter-made-clear-he-knew-risks/2013/06/09/c9a25b54-d14c-11e2-9f1a-1a7cdee20287_story.html?hpid=z2

And I think Greenwald said he was in contact with Snowden in Feb, while the WaPo article says that the contact with that reporter was in May.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Just think and put yourself in his shoes.

If he's a Ron Paul supporter think of what he could demand while blackmailing Obama, Boehner and McConnell. The 2 Republican leaders are calling him a traitor. When was the last time they called anyone a traitor. Think about it. No judge in their right mind in a common law jurisdiction will accept the extradition to a country where the leaders are accusing you of crimes punishable by death.

He will claim political persecution and they will give it him. Maybe that's part of the deal. Of course the DoJ will put on a dog and pony show for the public and mass (propaganda) media. Ed will surely play his part while counting his millions wired to him thanks to Ben Bernanke and looking for a nice new HK pad.

Think of what he could have blackmailed Obama and Boehner with...

As an RP supporter i'd ask for Rand to be the 2016 GOP Nominee and Biden to the Democrat nominee and i'd make them sign a piece of paper affirming this and delivery of the last laptop some time in 2016.

Why is Greenwald helping? Because he wants to see the illegal spying programs shut down.

Read the links from the guardian. There are congressman saying this is crazy, we knew nothing about. One of them says he wants to repeal the PATRIOT act. when the f**k have you ever heard that? They say they will change the law, quickly and on bipartisan basis. The lawmakers are reeling this in.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 08:49 AM
He went to WaPo, but WaPo wouldn't agree to his terms. http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/code-name-verax-snowden-in-exchanges-with-post-reporter-made-clear-he-knew-risks/2013/06/09/c9a25b54-d14c-11e2-9f1a-1a7cdee20287_story.html?hpid=z2

And I think Greenwald said he was in contact with Snowden in Feb, while the WaPo article says that the contact with that reporter was in May.

WaPO are telling lies. Greenwald tweeted that its false and the Guardian's account is more believable. They have the best coverage of this story and direct access to Snowden with multiple reporters who have interviewed him and written about their time with him. Read the links

angelatc
06-12-2013, 08:53 AM
WaPO are telling lies. Greenwald tweeted that its false and the Guardian's account is more believable. They have the best coverage of this story and direct access to Snowden with multiple reporters who have interviewed him and written about their time with him. Read the links

At no point have I seen Greenwald say that WaPo is lying. Here's what your link said about WaPo:

T
he Prism story was also published independently by the Washington Post after Poitras, a freelance journalist, had earlier approached the investigative reporter Barton Gellman, who took the story to the paper. Once on the ground working in Hong Kong, Poitras began worked with the Guardian team.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 08:56 AM
At no point have I seen Greenwald say that WaPo is lying. Here's what your link said about WaPo:

[COLOR=#333333]T

Look on Greenwald's twitter feed. He tells you that everything [FONT=arial]Gellman said about him in his report is false i.e they're lying. WaPo are establishment mouthpieces and if you believe anything in there then more fool you.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Yea angel, they went to Gellman wth the story. What Gellman wrote about conditions is false. They were in contact with Snowden long before Gellman, probably by a month or two. The only reason they went to Gellman was to either spook the establishment in the US and spread wider coverage. I've no idea why else they would do it. Why not just keep it all for the Guardian? Anything Gellman and WaPo editors get will go straight to the White House and the highest levels of the US government. Greenwald probably knows this and wanted this.

angelatc
06-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Look on Greenwald's twitter feed. He tells you that everything Gellman said about him in his report is false i.e they're lying. WaPo are establishment mouthpieces and if you believe anything in there then more fool you.

You really need to be such a jerk while we're sorting through this? I didn't accuse you of being a jerk, or an idiot. I just figured you missed the WaPo story.

Why in the world can't you just post a link to the tweet you're talking about? I've been watching this on Twitter pretty consistently. But I do sleep, clean, and do other things so perhaps I did miss something.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
You really need to be such a jerk while we're sorting through this? I didn't accuse you of being a jerk, or an idiot. I just figured you missed the WaPo story.

Why in the world can't you just post a link to the tweet you're talking about? I've been watching this on Twitter pretty consistently. But I do sleep, clean, and do other things so perhaps I did miss something.

To busy in other windows to go through his twitter feed but I assure you he tweeted what Gellman said is false.

I'm going to compile a proper timeline later with more links etc... this s just a working thesis. Congress was briefed yesterday and that has provided a lot of info.

UtahApocalypse
06-12-2013, 09:09 AM
In the interview he stated that could have released names, locations, and other details about US assets worldwide. That is what is on the insurance laptops.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 09:14 AM
In the interview he stated that could have released names, locations, and other details about US assets worldwide. That is what is on the insurance laptops.

Indeed. 4 laptops x 250-300gb per laptop. That's a lot of names, information, maps, facilities, blueprints, communications, emails and god knows what else.

This is what he;s doing a deal for LOL... he's not going to prison or being killed. He was so cool and calm in his interview. He is playing them all and in return he will deliver the laptops back to them.

brushfire
06-12-2013, 09:15 AM
I'd have to believe that one would think these things out before jumping in. He's obviously very intelligent, and a great threat to the CIA.
I dont know what to make of his "going underground", if that's such a good idea. Stepping into the shadows may not make you visible to the CIA and its goons, but it also takes out you out of the eye of the public too. He must be buying time so that he can distribute more. I'm betting he has more to his plan than simply running from the CIA.

brushfire
06-12-2013, 09:16 AM
He was so cool and calm in his interview. He is playing them all and in return he will deliver the laptops back to them.

This

erowe1
06-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Indeed. 4 laptops x 250-300gb per laptop. That's a lot of names, information, maps, facilities, blueprints, communications, emails and god knows what else.

This is what he;s doing a deal for LOL... he's not going to prison or being killed. He was so cool and calm in his interview. He is playing them all and in return he will deliver the laptops back to them.

How does he not get killed after the laptops are returned?

erowe1
06-12-2013, 09:26 AM
I'd have to believe that one would think these things out before jumping in. He's obviously very intelligent, and a great threat to the CIA.

It isn't obvious to me how much of a threat he is.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 09:31 AM

Good question. Either he's relying on public notoriety to not be killed (when was the last assassination of a public figure allegedly by intelligence agencies? They stopped in the 70's) or he has taken further steps to ensure his own safety i.e he can hold back one laptop or encryption key, or whateve.r

brushfire
06-12-2013, 09:31 AM
It isn't obvious to me how much of a threat he is.

He has sensitive information, and an audience.

erowe1
06-12-2013, 09:32 AM
He has sensitive information, and an audience.

How do you know what he has?

nbruno322
06-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Yea angel, they went to Gellman wth the story. What Gellman wrote about conditions is false. They were in contact with Snowden long before Gellman, probably by a month or two. The only reason they went to Gellman was to either spook the establishment in the US and spread wider coverage. I've no idea why else they would do it. Why not just keep it all for the Guardian? Anything Gellman and WaPo editors get will go straight to the White House and the highest levels of the US government. Greenwald probably knows this and wanted this.

Lol what kind of buffoon would believe a neocon warmongering establishment rag with no credibility like the WaPo over a principled journalist with an obvious integrity like Glenn Greenwald??

Uriel999
06-12-2013, 09:35 AM
He's freaking Jason Bourne!

Except not Matt Damon...

Warlord
06-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Lol what kind of buffoon would believe a neocon warmongering establishment rag with no credibility like the WaPo over a principled journalist with an obvious integrity like Glenn Greenwald??

And why did GG give Gellman the PRISM scoop? He knew it'd go straight to the White House and spook them. The only condition he wanted was "you will publish a story based on this during the week we choose". The week they broke it the Chinese PM was meeting Obama about cybersecurity LOL come on now... this is too much !!

Meanwhile our hero is in Hong Kong with laptops full of data.

Obama got totally blind sided and owned. He must have been so stunned and embarrassed. Then they made him do a deal.

Obama = Ed's bitch.

You got to wonder what he asked for apart from $10m from Ben Bernanke. Maybe he's just happy with that. He could have asked for other things. We'll never know.

kcchiefs6465
06-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Downloading four laptops worth of shit from the NSA's servers is a pretty big breach (possibly the biggest). The speculation im indulging in suggests he's done a deal and those laptops will be returned or if his conditions aren't met they get handed over to the Chinese..

He's blackmailing Obama and he's going to get away with it.

If I was him i'd ask for at least $10m to be wired to a bank account in HK and say cya later.
You watch too many movies.

I'm talking about things far worse than waterboarding should he make such a statement.

VBRonPaulFan
06-12-2013, 11:13 AM

because they won't know if he copied the data and set up contingency plans on his death.

erowe1
06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
because they won't know if he copied the data and set up contingency plans on his death.

Then what incentive would they have to make a deal in the first place?

kcchiefs6465
06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
If they pulled off his fingernails with pliers they could get a pretty good idea of what contingency plan, if any, he has.

Seriously...

This isn't the Bourne Identity. He'd be best not to make threats about selling the information to anyone. (and for God's sake don't try to blackmail the USG) All that will do is put him on the fast track to being labelled an enemy combatant.

Many people consider him a hero, that should ensure him at least a farce of a trial. And while that may still be unjust it should at least save him the fate of electrodes or waterboarding or any of the other torture methods they use. Or should I say the people they've trained use.

UWDude
06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
At the height of the search, reporters recruited Twitter followers to see if they could successfully identify the lighting and other hotel furnishings shown in the video in which he went public. They did: the $330-a-night Mira Hotel, on Nathan Road, the busy main shopping drag in Kowloon district.

I was dismayed a guy who put a blanket over himself to protect from hidden cameras did not think that the curtains in the video could give him away. whenever making a video, change the background to make it look like you are somewhere you are not. Anything from paint color, to trim, to curtains, to the view outside, can be used to pinpoint your location.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 11:26 AM
I was dismayed a guy who put a blanket over himself to protect from hidden cameras did not think that the curtains in the video could give him away. whenever making a video, change the background to make it look like you are somewhere you are not. Anything from paint color, to trim, to curtains, to the view outside, can be used to pinpoint your location.

I dont thnk he cares. He checked out in the morning after the big reveal and is in a "safe house". They likely had the safe house rented/paid before he was even in the hotel and this is where the laptops are. This has been planned you sense.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 11:29 AM
If they pulled off his fingernails with pliers they could get a pretty good idea of what contingency plan, if any, he has.

Seriously...

This isn't the Bourne Identity. He'd be best not to make threats about selling the information to anyone. (and for God's sake don't try to blackmail the USG) All that will do is put him on the fast track to being labelled an enemy combatant.

Many people consider him a hero, that should ensure him at least a farce of a trial. And while that may still be unjust it should at least save him the fate of electrodes or waterboarding or any of the other torture methods they use. Or should I say the people they've trained use.

He's far too public now. He's too public for them to try anything. Dude knows what he's doing. He's also probably taken precautions.

He made Obama look like an utter fool. Why wouldn't he blackmail them. They either give him what he wants or 4 laptops get published on a blog somewhere or handed over to the Chinese. I'd think given the circumstances Obama and his handlers would give in pretty quickly. He's probably figured this and planned it for a long time.

kcchiefs6465
06-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Because he would be hunted the rest of his life with the only glimmer of a good outcome being a painful, cancerous death in a decade or two.

Not to mention as soon as they said he is trying to sell our secrets to the Chinese public support would dramatically end. It would open him up for rendition (not that he already isn't) or worse, assassination. And as much as the people would forget about it now, they would applaud it then.

This isn't some spy movie. What you are speculating is absurd.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Because he would be hunted the rest of his life with the only glimmer of a good outcome being a painful, cancerous death in a decade or two.

Not to mention as soon as they said he is trying to sell our secrets to the Chinese public support would dramatically end. It would open him up for rendition (not that he already isn't) or worse, assassination. And as much as the people would forget about it now, they would applaud it then.

This isn't some spy movie. What you are speculating is absurd.

Nothing happens by accident. The deal is done. Ed is not stupid. He had no intention of going to prison or being killed/hunted. He has been an intelligence officer for 10 years and knows what he's doing. He will have taken all kinds of precautions and is super-relaxed.

Warlord
06-12-2013, 12:03 PM
angela:

Gellman is a paid liar:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/343960115227025408

kcchiefs6465
06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Nothing happens by accident. The deal is done. Ed is not stupid. He had no intention of going to prison or being killed/hunted. He has been an intelligence officer for 10 years and knows what he's doing. He will have taken all kinds of precautions and is super-relaxed.
John Kirakou is in prison.

You are playing out fantasies that are not there. This man will eventually be found. Trying to blackmail or threaten the USG will only make his situation exponentially worse. This isn't a movie. He will be lucky to get a fair trial, open to the public. (not gonna happen, I'd add) The worse case scenario would be banned from theaters.

brushfire
06-12-2013, 12:31 PM
How do you know what he has?

I would only know what you know.

However, when the NSA says that they are determining the extent of the security breach, that means they're looking at audit data to find out what he could have accessed. So I'm sure the NSA will have a good idea of what he could be in possession of.