PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Co-Founder: We Should Throw Edward Snowden a Party

TaftFan
06-11-2013, 09:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rMtKgLMEl8&feature=youtu.be

kcchiefs6465
06-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Great clip.

liberty2897
06-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Nice!

jclay2
06-11-2013, 10:06 PM
He was the same guy who said he wouldn't have been able to start home depot today under current regulations I think. Nice to hear a mainstream fortune 500 ceo talk about the importance of whistleblowers and protecting america's privacy. You can be damn sure that Home Depot isn't linking servers with the dhs.

mad cow
06-11-2013, 10:16 PM
My closest Lowe's and Home Depot are literally next door to one another.I know who is getting my business..

TaftFan
06-11-2013, 10:19 PM
He was the same guy who said he wouldn't have been able to start home depot today under current regulations I think. Nice to hear a mainstream fortune 500 ceo talk about the importance of whistleblowers and protecting america's privacy. You can be damn sure that Home Depot isn't linking servers with the dhs.

That was actually Bernie Marcus. http://www.legalreforminthenews.com/Reports/IBD%20Bernie%20Marcus%20Interview%201-30-06.pdf

economics102
06-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Wow. I like this guy!

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-12-2013, 03:01 AM
My closest Lowe's and Home Depot are literally next door to one another.I know who is getting my business.. from a company that makes you take a drug test to become an employee?

liberalnurse
06-12-2013, 05:29 AM
from a company that makes you take a drug test to become an employee?

The hell of it is, most companies do. I just quit 3 weeks prior to mine. Bought a home test from CVS a few days before and tested negative. What I disagree with more then pre-employment is random testing in the workplace.

06-12-2013, 06:35 AM

So? Employment is at will. They have every right to set terms of employment.

tangent4ronpaul
06-12-2013, 06:58 AM
The next time you shop at HD, ask to speak to a manager and tell them WHY you are shopping there!

Trust me - that kind of feedback gets routed straight upstairs and does make a difference!

-t

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-12-2013, 07:11 AM

This guy is spouting off about privacy and his company's policy is to seize your PISS and test it. This is what we call hypocrisy, young Padawan.

Seraphim
06-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Their perogative. I think it's a bunk policy, but they can do so if they want.

Seraphim
06-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Employement is not mandated. No one forces you to take the test. The gov't is spying on people against their will. Big difference.

This guy is spouting off about privacy and his company's policy is to seize your PISS and test it. This is what we call hypocrisy, young Padawan.

Icymudpuppy
06-12-2013, 07:20 AM

Private agreement with consent. You don't have to work for them, but if you do, you consent to drug testing.

The government violates privacy without consent.

BIG DIFFERENCE!

Also, the government will throw you in prison after THEY violate your privacy without consent. Homedepot will not force you to piss in a bottle if you don't want to. They will likely terminate your employment for breach of contract, though.

06-12-2013, 07:24 AM

No it's not. Don't want to take the test, don't work there then.

ghengis86
06-12-2013, 07:27 AM
We've got a Home Depot, Lowes and Menards within a half mile of each other, not to mention a small True Value and ACE.

While price and quality are my final arbiter, ill swing by the HD first when shopping.

Regarding the piss test, I'm in favor of the employers policy. I don't care how good of a driver you are when you're stoned, I wouldn't want an employee on a fork lift who is high. That's a lawsuit you'll lose every time if you took it to trial. Repealing/decriminalizing drug laws strikes the root.

/rant

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Employement is not mandated. No one forces you to take the test. The gov't is spying on people against their will. Big difference.
It would be nice to see his views reflect his company's policies.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
We've got a Home Depot, Lowes and Menards within a half mile of each other, not to mention a small True Value and ACE.

While price and quality are my final arbiter, ill swing by the HD first when shopping.

Regarding the piss test, I'm in favor of the employers policy. I don't care how good of a driver you are when you're stoned, I wouldn't want an employee on a fork lift who is high. That's a lawsuit you'll lose every time if you took it to trial. Repealing/decriminalizing drug laws strikes the root.

/rant

maybe it's true to protect their company but a policy of not requiring one if you have no history of drug use would be friendly. I find it an invasion of privacy if an employer asks anything like that of me.

ghengis86
06-12-2013, 07:36 AM
maybe it's true to protect their company but a policy of not requiring one if you have no history of drug use would be friendly. I find it an invasion of privacy if an employer asks anything like that of me.

Hmmm...I could agree with some of that. One place I worked at did a drug test upon employment then did not drug test you unless you we're involved in a work place accident (fork lift, delivery truck, company car, etc). It might even be in accordance with OSHA regs, which would tie the employers hands. I think that would be more acceptable and less intrusive. But the problem with drug tests is the residency time in your body; you could test positive but not be remotely high.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Hmmm...I could agree with some of that. One place I worked at did a drug test upon employment then did not drug test you unless you we're involved in a work place accident (fork lift, delivery truck, company car, etc). It might even be in accordance with OSHA regs, which would tie the employers hands. I think that would be more acceptable and less intrusive. But the problem with drug tests is the residency time in your body; you could test positive but not be remotely high.I don't care I don't take drugs or smoke anything, not even advil. Asking me to pee in a cup kinda ruins the employer/employee relationship. When will they start requiring students to pee in cups?

roho76
06-12-2013, 07:44 AM
I don't agree with drug testing as a precondition to employment but t is their PRIVATE company and they are free to run it how they see fit. But the shitty thing is, the drug testing is probably not a decision based on an opinion of a CEO or board member but an insurance company that would be all over them if someone was hurt on their premises due to a drug user. It's to protect them from lawsuits.

ghengis86
06-12-2013, 07:50 AM
I don't care I don't take drugs or smoke anything, not even advil. Asking me to pee in a cup kinda ruins the employer/employee relationship. When will they start requiring students to pee in cups?

I think they already do. A lot of schools around my parts make all the kids take a breathalyzer before being admitted to dances.

So, how would an employer ensure the integrity of their employees, especially with regard to workplace safety, as OSHA would shut them down or fine them as soon as there's an inkling of 'unsafe conditions'? What if some business just doesn't want to employ pot smokers or oxy addicts? Can an employer discriminate in their hiring practices, just as customers and employees can discriminate with their money and labor? Curious...

Cleaner44
06-12-2013, 07:56 AM

False.

When the government invades our privacy without due cause, they violate our rights as guaranteed by the 4th Amendment. The government does not have the authority for such actions.

When an employer makes an offer to purchase my time, they have conditions and I have conditions that must be met in order for us to enter this voluntary relationship. Home Depot can not force me to take any drug test. If I choose to take a drug test in order to have a business relationship with them, that is my choice.

The government does not give me a choice before violating my rights. In fact they have no place in the relationship between me and my cell phone company.

pcosmar
06-12-2013, 08:04 AM

Except that it is mandated by Insurance Companies,, who are in collusion with the Government.

They have to do so to stay in Business. They have to know that they are losing a lot of quality employees.

jbauer
06-12-2013, 08:25 AM

Really? A drug test? You don't think the company has the right to give or deny employment based on your use of controlled (currently) substances? Hell if you're really believe in libertarianism a company should have the right to ask for pretty much anything as a condition of employment. Just like you'd have the choice to work or not work for them.

Furthermore, the people that work at these big box home stores are driving heavy loads with forklifts around customers. There is liability bleeding from the ears if someone high on anything hurt a customer.

jbauer
06-12-2013, 08:27 AM

He's the founder. I'm quite sure that drug testing is mandatory via their insurance policy.

Glad to see others hit on the insurance thing.

Pericles
06-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Langone was one of the guys who put the Home Depot concept together and got the financing - not the guy who ever ran the company.

Langone was also a big Perot supporter in 1992.

Christian Liberty
06-12-2013, 08:35 AM

I see nothing wrong with that. Its their business, they can discriminate any way they please. Personally, for a position like that I'd like to be able to say what you do on your personal time is your business, but honestly, I can understand not particularly wanting to have an employee who is likely to be arrested at any time. Even if drugs were legal though, as they should be, a private company could still not hire users if it didn't want to. Just because the State doesn't impose moral standards at the point of a gun doesn't necessarily mean they shouldn't be culturally expected.

pcosmar
06-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Glad to see others hit on the insurance thing.

One of the best shops I worked in (with a reputation for high quality work) II was told on my first day "I don't carry insurance,, don't hurt yourself."

The guy was also "Blackballed" by insurance companies,, because he had busted a crooked Insurance Adjuster. We were busy with repeat customers and people that chose the shop due to reputation. Very little insurance work. (auto-body shop)

If you don't think you can hurt yourself there,,,,?

We had "safety breaks" in the Paint booth and there was beer in the fridge. No One incapable of doing the job and doing it safely was tolerated.

Substances of choice were irrelevant.

Pericles
06-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Insurance is a major PITA in my business right now. It seems I can't just shop it and say ere is the list of people I want covered with X coverage. They want to know all kinds of shit about the people that I don't know because we just have people who are paid to do their jobs without BS.

mad cow
06-12-2013, 10:02 AM
A company can insist that you have a particular degree in a certain field to get a job.Or wear a stupid vest with their logo on it.Or shave your beard and cut your hair.Or have a valid commercial drivers license.Or run a 4.4 forty.Or be able to hit a major league curveball...

Or a whole pile of other stuff you either don't want to or are unable to do.Such is life.However,all transactions in a free society are voluntary.
Forget OSHA,Forget Insurance,if a person wants to have you pee in a bottle as a condition of employment,that is his right.And you have the right to refuse to work there.

William R
06-12-2013, 10:07 AM
bump

thoughtomator
06-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Now there's a man who made sure his taxes were in order before he spoke up.

ZenBowman
06-12-2013, 10:24 AM

No. They ask you to take the test, they don't force you to do it. With them you have the option to refuse the test and subsequently not be employed there, with government snooping you do not have a choice.

JoshLowry
06-12-2013, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTQqpYBHQ8

PaulConventionWV
06-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Am I missing something or don't most companies do that? Someone who fails a drug test obviously can't keep their habit under control, so I would say it's a wise thing to do.

PaulConventionWV
06-12-2013, 10:37 AM

What part of "at will" don't you understand? Also, what part of "most companies do this" don't you understand? Maybe it's just me because I've been going through piss tests for much of my life as a college athlete, but it seems like pretty standard procedure to me.

PaulConventionWV
06-12-2013, 10:43 AM

The company's policies don't have to match that of a minarchist government for the same reason that a family usually doesn't run like a democracy or anarchy. The simple fact is that employment is completely voluntary, so if you don't like the company's policies, you don't have to work there. The company actually has a reason for these policies, unlike government, so take it for what it is: completely voluntary and based on sound economic practices. Stop trying to tell people the "right" way to run their business.

PaulConventionWV
06-12-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't care I don't take drugs or smoke anything, not even advil. Asking me to pee in a cup kinda ruins the employer/employee relationship. When will they start requiring students to pee in cups?

Man, you must be out of your mind. Those two are nothing alike.

FSP-Rebel
06-12-2013, 10:55 AM
After HD got aboard the internet sales tax issue I was going to write them off but they've redeemed themselves quite a bit in my eyes.

PaulConventionWV
06-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Now there's a man who made sure his taxes were in order before he spoke up.

Yeah, you're probably right. I would too. There's no sense in being a damned fool.