PDA

View Full Version : Would It Be Illegal To... mailboxes

Biodemocracy
11-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Give your mailman/lady a stack of Ron Paul flyers to put in every individual mailbox on their route?

I presume it would be but it's such an excellent idea! :)

OptionsTrader
11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Give your mailman/lady a stack of Ron Paul flyers to put in every individual mailbox on their route?

I presume it would be but it's such an excellent idea! :)

No, it would not be illegal to give the mailman/lady the stack.

Yes, it would be illegal for her to drop them off in mailboxes however.

Biodemocracy
11-26-2007, 03:32 PM
No, it would not be illegal to give the mailman/lady the stack.

Yes, it would be illegal for her to drop them off in mailboxes however.

Why would it be illegal? Could I drop them off in people's mailboxes?

Wendi
11-26-2007, 03:51 PM
It is illegal for anyone to place anything in someone else's mailbox that wasn't sent through the mail, basically.

You can't drop them off in people's mailboxes. But you can put them on everyone's door :)

Alternatively, you can mail them to everyone in an area (check with your local post office for bulk rates, like they use for those ads that come every week... but I'm guessing this isn't a cheap option).

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Why would it be illegal? Could I drop them off in people's mailboxes?

I don't know why, but it definitely is. That's why newspapers don't go in mailboxes. If anyone could have ever made a question of that, it would have been newspapers.

ConstitutionGal
11-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Having helped in several campaigns I can tell you that it is ILLEGAL to put anything in or on a mailbox that was not sent through the U.S. Mail (even stuck under the flag). The laws, however, to NOT pertain to the mailbox POST nor to any newspaper boxes. We do 'drive-bys' here and stick flyers in those fancy little curleques on some mailbox posts and in the newspaper boxes. You're fine with either of those but make sure you place items somewhere that they will not be blown out/off, thus creating litter which will be bad for the campaign.

DaronWestbrooke
11-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Illegal, yes, but if you can find a mailperson who is symphateic and can keep things quiet, it is a good idea.

Dr.3D
01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I've seen plastic bags with info hung on the outside of mail boxes.

rp08orbust
01-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Does anyone know why it's illegal? The US Post Office doesn't want competition?

ConstitutionGal
01-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I've seen plastic bags with info hung on the outside of mail boxes.

If they're hung on the mailbox POST or some appendage, they're fine. If they're hung on the mailbox itself or the flag, they're illegal and you can get in LOTS of hot-water over it or get the organization/company/person they are promotting in LOTS of hot-water. Stay on the safe side - be legal.

ConstitutionGal
01-05-2008, 05:06 PM

The feds take the mail very seriously. Whether it has more to do with fearing any compeition or whether they consider it tampering remains to be seen, however, the actual mailbox and flag attached to same are considered property of the U.S. Mail and only AUTHORIZED persons (the address owner and the mail carrier) are considered authorized. This is why even the FBI and such (excluding Patriot Act provisions) must obtain a duly executed warrant to touch your mail.

hopeful
01-14-2008, 10:58 AM

having worked for the USPS, and if you go exactly by the bylaws of the USPS, when delivering mail, you're suppose to remove any "paraphernalia" from any mail receptacle and deliver back to the post office for processing and delivery. Finding no postage on such material(s), it's then returned for postage due. Having no return address it must then go to the lost or undeliverable department of your regional office and examined by "hand" to determine what/who it is. In short....you can see why this is a law. Of course most mail carriers use common sense and wouldn't/couldn't touch and deliver any of this material back to their respective PO. Alas........ still ILLEGAL