PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul interview with National Review re: NSA

Warlord
06-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Ron's been talking to National Review:

http://c4.nrostatic.com/sites/default/files/uploaded/pic_giant_06113_SM_Ron-Paul.jpg

-
He’s concerned about the fate of Snowden, who was last seen in Hong Kong after fleeing the country several weeks ago, and worries that the 29-year-old whistleblower might come to be viewed as a “traitor” for his actions. “If you have a large government, or an empire, a dictatorial government, if you tell the truth, it’s treason, and that has to be reversed,” he says. “I’m concerned about whether the publicity is so strong that the people who are sympathetic will have to be silenced because they find out people are starting to believe, ‘Oh, he’s a communist defector and that’s why he’s in China.’”

Full thing:
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/350696/ron-paul-reacts-nsa-andrew-stiles
-

tsai3904
06-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Ron Paul Reacts to the NSA

The former congressman is not shocked.

Like most people, former representative Ron Paul (R., Texas) learned the details of the federal government’s far-reaching surveillance program when he read about it over the weekend. But as someone who has spent the last several decades warning of government’s encroachment on civil liberties, he wasn’t exactly shocked by the revelations.

“The thought of our government doing this wasn’t a bit of a surprise,” he tells National Review Online. “I assumed they had been doing it. They’ve had the authority to do it. I said that’s what the Patriot Act would end up doing.”

At the very least, the official documents leaked by Edward Snowden, a former intelligence officer and Ron Paul donor, offered “credible evidence” that confirmed Paul’s suspicions. “I didn’t know the details before,” he says. “My immediate reaction was, you know, we’re supposed to be shocked by this?”

More:

TaftFan
06-11-2013, 11:19 PM

purplechoe
06-12-2013, 05:45 PM
one of the comments...

robinbuscato • a day ago

Congressman Paul, I once thought you were a kook: I was very, very mistaken.

PSYOP
06-12-2013, 08:04 PM
one of the comments...

It's comments like these from former sheeple that give me hope for America, and the world. Love it.

phill4paul
06-12-2013, 08:23 PM
“If you have a large government, or an empire, a dictatorial government, if you tell the truth, it’s treason, and that has to be reversed,”

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES.

sailingaway
06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Ron is fantastic.

sailingaway
06-12-2013, 11:52 PM
At the very least, the official documents leaked by Edward Snowden, a former intelligence officer and Ron Paul donor, offered “credible evidence” that confirmed Paul’s suspicions. “I didn’t know the details before,” he says. “My immediate reaction was, you know, we’re supposed to be shocked by this?”

Surely Paul must feel vindicated, after years of having his concerns largely dismissed by politicians in both parties. Right?

Not exactly.

“I never think in terms of vindication — ‘yeah, see, I told you so’ — that doesn’t go over very well anyway,” he says. In fact, it “saddens” him, to some degree, to have his concerns validated by such troubling news.

“Vindication? I think somebody else can use that term, but I don’t,” he adds.

It would be counterproductive, Paul says, for him and other full-fledged civil libertarians to play a prominent role in the national conversation that is likely to emerge in the wake of the revelations.

“I think individuals like myself are the worst ones to be out front right now and saying ‘Alright go do this and this; I told you this would happen,’” he says. “It has to be other individuals saying ‘You know, I was mistaken, I’m going to change my ways, and do something differently.’”

He’s concerned about the fate of Snowden, who was last seen in Hong Kong after fleeing the country several weeks ago, and worries that the 29-year-old whistleblower might come to be viewed as a “traitor” for his actions. “If you have a large government, or an empire, a dictatorial government, if you tell the truth, it’s treason, and that has to be reversed,” he says. “I’m concerned about whether the publicity is so strong that the people who are sympathetic will have to be silenced because they find out people are starting to believe, ‘Oh, he’s a communist defector and that’s why he’s in China.’”

Senator Lindsey Graham (R., S.C.), among others, did not respond favorably to the leak. “I view Mr. Snowden’s actions not as one of patriotism but potentially a felony,” Graham said via Twitter on Monday. John Yoo, former legal adviser to President George W. Bush, wrote that Snowden “should go to jail, as quickly and for as long as possible.” The Department of Justice has launched a criminal investigation.

However, Snowden has his fair share of defenders. An online petition asking President Obama to pardon Snowden has accumulated more than 26,000 signatures since Sunday. Paul is supportive. “I mean, it’s early, but from everything I’ve heard, I’d say it’s a great idea,” he says. “The question is really, who are the criminals? The people who destroy our Constitution, or the people who tell us the truth about the individuals who are destroying our Constitution?”

Indeed.

J_White
06-13-2013, 12:07 AM
a good read