PDA

View Full Version : Democrats and Republicans Defend NSA Snooping

Origanalist
06-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Katie Pavlich | Jun 10, 2013

Over the weekend, NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden publicly revealed his identity and told the world he was the guy who exposed vast snooping on U.S. citizens by the U.S. government. Naturally, the White House and Congress have been asked to respond to NSA actions. Both Democrats and Republicans are defending the secret monitoring of hundreds of millions of American phone calls each day.

Republican Senator John McCain on CNN Sunday:

Arizona Senator and former GOP Presidential candidate John McCain said Sunday the threat of terrorism in the United States “is getting worse,” and this validates the government’s controversial monitoring of all telephone calls and emails placed in the country.

Appearing on CNN’s “State of the Union” McCain responded to host Candy Crowley asking if McCain had a problem with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) program, he answered, “No, not really.”

“I think we have to understand this issue in the context of what also has been going on,” McCain said. “I believe that the FISA Court system is an appropriate way of reviewing some of these policies. If this was Sept. 12, 2001, we might not be having the argument that we are having today.”

McCain continued to dismiss any concerns over privacy, saying it’s a “balancing act” and then targeted his fellows Senators.
Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein and Republican Senator Saxby Chambliss last week:

Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Saxby Chambliss also defended the National Security Agency’s request to Verizon for all the metadata about phone calls made within the U.S. and from the U.S. to other countries. They said the information gathered by intelligence on the phone communications is “meta data” used to connect phone lines to terrorists and that it did not contain the content of the phone calls or messages.

“I know that people are trying to get to us,” she said. “This is the reason why the FBI now has 10,000 people doing intelligence on counterterrorism. This is the reason for the national counterterrorism center that’s been set up in the time we’ve been active. its to ferret this out before it happens. “It’s called protecting America.
President Obama last week, "Nobody is listening to your phone calls."

President Barack Obama issued a strong statement in support Friday for the controversial National Security Agency surveillance programs that have been disclosed to the press in recent days.

“You can shout Big Brother or program run amok, but if you actually look at the details, I think we’ve struck the right balance,” Obama said in his first remarks on the subject since the issue arose this week.

”Nobody is listening to your telephone calls,” Obama said repeatedly. “That’s not what this program is about.

But the good news is, at least one Senator isn't very happy about this whole thing.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said Sunday that he is weighing a Supreme Court challenge to the National Security Agency's controversial surveillance programs, calling the organization's collection of records an "extraordinary invasion of privacy."

"I'm going to be seeing if I can challenge this at the Supreme Court level," Paul said on Fox News Sunday. "I’m going to be asking all the internet providers and all of the phone companies: Ask your customers to join me in a class action lawsuit. If we get 10 million Americans saying we don’t want our phone records looked at, then maybe someone will wake up and something will change in Washington."

"The irony is that people voted for President Obama hoping for something different," Paul said in a statement. "That's why a lot of people I think are disappointed in the president. They're disappointed in him targeting reporters. There's just a lot to be disappointed about."

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/06/10/democrats-and-republicans-defend-nsa-snooping-n1616657

Origanalist
06-10-2013, 08:10 AM
There are some real battle lines being drawn over this, much more so than wikileaks. It's a sad statement about our fellow citizens that they are much more up in arms about being monitored (like we didn't already know) than they were about the things we were committing overseas, but not really surprising. Rands star is rising like a rocket right now.

talkingpointes
06-10-2013, 08:23 AM
There are some real battle lines being drawn over this, much more so than wikileaks. It's a sad statement about our fellow citizens that they are much more up in arms about being monitored (like we didn't already know) than they were about the things we were committing overseas, but not really surprising. Rands star is rising like a rocket right now.

Anyone that isn't a democrat right now is rising.

talkingpointes
06-10-2013, 08:25 AM
http://votesmart.org/public-statement/172807/statement-of-us-senator-mitch-mcconnell-on-nsa-surveillance-program#.UbXhmZx3VDs

"Some people seem to have lost sight of the fact that we are fighting a war on terrorism and that the President needs good intelligence data at his disposal to root out al Qaeda cells. The President has made it clear that the NSA is acting within the law and is doing what needs to be done to protect America from future attacks."

This is Rand's best friend in the senate you better wake up. After Mcconnell wins his election it's back to business as usual.

ghengis86
06-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Anyone that isn't a democrat right now is rising.

And therein lies the problem. As long as people see the 'other' team as the solution, we're still fucked. When everybody unites against the system/state together, then there will be some progress.

Origanalist
06-10-2013, 08:36 AM
http://votesmart.org/public-statement/172807/statement-of-us-senator-mitch-mcconnell-on-nsa-surveillance-program#.UbXhmZx3VDs

"Some people seem to have lost sight of the fact that we are fighting a war on terrorism and that the President needs good intelligence data at his disposal to root out al Qaeda cells. The President has made it clear that the NSA is acting within the law and is doing what needs to be done to protect America from future attacks."

This is Rand's best friend in the senate you better wake up. After Mcconnell wins his election it's back to business as usual.

You may be right, this has always been the case. But right now anybody who is defending this is being savaged, boobus is pissed.

Origanalist
06-10-2013, 08:37 AM
And therein lies the problem. As long as people see the 'other' team as the solution, we're still fucked. When everybody unites against the system/state together, then there will be some progress.

I believe were starting to see that right now.