PDA

View Full Version : Walter Block wants Ron Paul to run for President in 2016

sailingaway
06-09-2013, 12:38 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/138723.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/138292.html

I'd love it, but I think he doesn't plan on it.

Lucille
06-09-2013, 12:39 PM
He's not the only one!

satchelmcqueen
06-09-2013, 01:43 PM
id vote for him again!

Matt Collins
06-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Rand

PSYOP
06-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm voting for Rand, but I would very much prefer Ron.

compromise
06-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Why Ron when we have a better candidate, Rand?

Sola_Fide
06-09-2013, 02:15 PM
I think Ron believes he can change things more by doing what he is doing now, which is probably accurate.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-09-2013, 02:18 PM
I would support him again with everything I had but just let the man enjoy his "retirement".

PSYOP
06-09-2013, 02:19 PM

Good troll.

RonPaulFanInGA
06-09-2013, 02:25 PM
He's run for President three times and will be around 80 years old. Can't some people leave him alone and let him enjoy himself?

speciallyblend
06-09-2013, 02:35 PM
I would become a delegate for Ron Paul again!

LibertyEagle
06-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Let's see, folks. He has started the Peace and Prosperity Institute, a homeschooling program and is the chair of the C4L. To me, that doesn't sound like he's retired.

I seriously doubt he's going to run for President again though. He's moved on to other things.

FrankRep
06-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Let Ron Paul retire in peace. Rand Paul will now carry the torch and has a pretty good chance of winning.

speciallyblend
06-09-2013, 02:38 PM
He's run for President three times and will be around 80 years old. Can't some people leave him alone and let him enjoy himself?

Ron Paul over Rand. I have no interest being a delegate unless it was Ron. I guess there might be a rand delegate or rubio delegate if i am not a delegate.
I am sure there is some gop establishment ready to support rand or rubio in my county.

Peace&Freedom
06-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Why can't we pull a Cheney, and have Rand (the more viable candidate due to age and packaging) run and win, but put in Ron as the VP or Secretary of State, to run the administration?

RM918
06-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Ron's done his best, and unfortunately the media narrative of him being a crazy nutbag has permeated the electorate. In 2008 we had the problem 'Who is Ron Paul?'. Now plenty of people know about him, they were just told who by the typical bullshit that spews out of the media and they believe it. Rand has a far better shot, even if he isn't Ron and there's a lot of things people don't like about him, but he's at least a step in the positive direction. It's been so long since we've even had that be a possibility that it seems like a no-brainer to support him just because of that.

RonPaulFanInGA
06-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Ron Paul over Rand.

Didn't myself say anything about Rand Paul. Even if Rand Paul did not exist, still would be opposed to pushing this. Stop trying to turn Ron Paul into a Republican version of Nader/LaRouche.

cajuncocoa
06-09-2013, 03:48 PM
RON PAUL 2016!!

Boss
06-09-2013, 03:49 PM

I bet he'd beat you in a 25 mile bike race.

Let's assume he would win if he runs. Should he still not run?

supermario21
06-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Walter Block has also written in some of his essays that he supports Rand. Let Ron do his thing, and let's keep Rand under our wings so he stays closer to many of the things that appealed to us about Ron. He will be infinitely better than GJ.

RonPaulFanInGA
06-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Let's assume he would win if he runs. Should he still not run?

What evidence from 2008 and 2012 makes you think he'd win in 2016?

cajuncocoa
06-09-2013, 04:04 PM
What evidence from 2008 and 2012 makes you think he'd win in 2016?
It doesn't matter if he wins. Every time he runs, he wakes up hundreds of thousands of people....that will do so much more in the long run than pandering to Beck's and Hannity's audience without educating them.

phill4paul
06-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Up to him but I would support.

sailingaway
06-09-2013, 04:46 PM
id vote for him again!

I would too, if he ran, I just think he didn't really want to run before.

But I would sure support him!

TaftFan
06-09-2013, 04:47 PM
If he ran there sure would be a lot of "I told you so's"

sailingaway
06-09-2013, 04:49 PM
If he ran there sure would be a lot of "I told you so's"

More than that, as we saw from 2012 with the Fed, suddenly EVERYONE would be a civil libertarian.... and I don't see that being a bad thing...

Jordan Liberty
06-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Ron's not gonna run, and it would be counterproductive to pit him against Rand in the primaries. Ron on the Libertarian ticket, however, would be nice. Just imagine a debate stage with a Democrat crony (probably Hilary), Ron, and then Rand. Then have one of the Pauls conceding and throwing their support to the other. Oh how I wish I could live in my fantasy world...

Cap
06-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm all in for Ron.

krugminator
06-09-2013, 06:49 PM
1. Ron Paul would be in his 80's. 2. Rand Paul is almost certainly running

RonRocks
06-09-2013, 07:30 PM
It doesn't matter if he wins. Every time he runs, he wakes up hundreds of thousands of people....that will do so much more in the long run than pandering to Beck's and Hannity's audience without educating them.

Thank you!

sailingaway
06-09-2013, 07:32 PM

freedom is popular!

MaxPower
06-09-2013, 08:17 PM
I would love it, and it would be an honor to vote for him again, but I expect to settle for Rand, who Ron himself will undoubtedly support.

supermario21
06-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Either way I'm glad that my first presidential ballot in my life was cast for Ron Paul.

Feelgood
06-09-2013, 10:25 PM

Simple.

Ron >> Rand

Your statement reeks of lunacy. However, I think Ron has other plans, and will not run.

Origanalist
06-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Simple.

Ron >> Rand

Your statement reeks of lunacy. However, I think Ron has other plans, and will not run.

Naw, he's just trollin'. But Ron is not running, at least that's my take on it. He got the ball rolling when nobody else could and now he is going to do everything he can to make sure it's picking up steam. That doesn't involve running for president.

ctiger2
06-09-2013, 10:37 PM
No way Ron runs again, even though I'd prefer it.

compromise
06-10-2013, 05:56 AM
Simple.

Ron >> Rand

I didn't say Rand was the better libertarian. I said Rand was the better candidate. He is much more palatable to the mainstream and so much more likely to win in 2016.

HigherVision
06-10-2013, 08:06 PM
freedom is popular!

No it's not.

Simple.

Ron >> Rand

He is more electable, precisely because he's a worse candidate. He's only halfway for liberty and that's why he stands a better chance at winning. Someone like Ron winning is a nice idea but it'll never materialize. He's far too good a person.

lol sorry for my over the top cynicism.

sailingaway
06-10-2013, 11:18 PM
I didn't say Rand was the better libertarian. I said Rand was the better candidate. He is much more palatable to the mainstream and so much more likely to win in 2016.

you equate the nonestablishment voters in the GOP primary with the mainstream? The mainstream doesn't even vote in primaries, by the numbers.

compromise
06-11-2013, 07:47 AM
you equate the nonestablishment voters in the GOP primary with the mainstream? The mainstream doesn't even vote in primaries, by the numbers.

You think Ron would have stood a chance against the MSM? They would have battered him. The GOP establishment would have walked out and some members may even have endorsed Obama. It'd be a repeat of Goldwater '64, maybe even worse. His rhetoric and many of his positions were too radical for most Americans. Ron Paul was running to educate, I think he probably knew he wouldn't win in the end.

I think you're falling into the Gary Johnson trap of thinking most Americans are natural libertarians, when they're not.

whippoorwill
06-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Bitch! Jesus isn't even better than Ron Paul.

fisharmor
06-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Then have one of the Pauls conceding and throwing their support to the other. Oh how I wish I could live in my fantasy world...

Expecting Pauls to support each other is, alas, firmly in the world of fantasy.

Ron >> Rand.

No, more like
Rand = Ron >> neocon

(For the computer dweebs.....)

kathy88
06-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Either way I'm glad that my first presidential ballot in my life was cast for Ron Paul.

My second was. In 1988 :)

jbauer
06-11-2013, 08:31 AM

What makes you think Rand can't do this but appeal to a larger base? Like it or not Ron is pretty far off your normal republican/democrat. Pretty hard to change the entire electorate. It would be much easier and cost effective to run Rand at this point....giving up that he's no Ron but he's not to bad either.

jbauer
06-11-2013, 08:34 AM
freedom is popular!

No its not. Freedom is hard. It takes work, pain, blood and sometimes death. It must be defended, honored and appreciated.

McDonalds, Iphones and food stamps are popular. Take them away from the masses and you'll get your great awakening.

mrsat_98
06-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Ron for President Rand for vice president. The dream team.

cajuncocoa
06-11-2013, 08:35 AM
What makes you think Rand can't do this but appeal to a larger base? Like it or not Ron is pretty far off your normal republican/democrat. Pretty hard to change the entire electorate. It would be much easier and cost effective to run Rand at this point....giving up that he's no Ron but he's not to bad either.
Because you don't wake people up by simply telling them what is safe for them to hear. The have to be shaken out of their comfort zone. Ron did that; Rand does not.

mrsat_98
06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Bitch! Jesus isn't even better than Ron Paul.

Give him credit, he runs a close second.

HigherVision
06-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Yeah but even the more grassroots conservatives didn't get behind Ron. They still like some war and some authoritarianism, they're not libertarians. They like the Jim DeMint type of candidates more. That's what I observed anyway working the polls last year.

ChristianAnarchist
06-11-2013, 05:45 PM
I dearly love Dr. Paul and wish he would run again, but I'm sure it will not happen. That said, Rand would have my support as he's the closest thing to his dad. I'm a bit confused by some of Rand's stances as I know he had the greatest teacher so either a) he missed some of the lessons, or b) he's trying a sly move to get a greater number of sheeple to "accidentally" vote for a liberty candidate. I hope it's "b"...

Mini-Me
06-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Someday, we're going to have radically life-extending medical technology that stops or even reverses the aging process. It sure would be nice if Ron Paul lived to see that day. ;)

Lord Xar
06-12-2013, 02:43 AM
They are already planning for Rand to run. They will promote the running of 2-3 liberty minded candidates to dilute the vote. The preordained neo-con, rubio / Ryan, will move forward.

sailingaway
06-12-2013, 02:58 AM
Yeah but even the more grassroots conservatives didn't get behind Ron. They still like some war and some authoritarianism, they're not libertarians. They like the Jim DeMint type of candidates more. That's what I observed anyway working the polls last year.

That was then, this was now. His numbers grew hugely, he was in second place nationally -- GOP ONLY (his worst polling group) in February. As with the economy in 2008 he has just now been proven right on drones and civil liberties and government overreach in that regard. Rand will be building on TOP of what Ron already created, and if Ron did that, Ron would inspire much more again.

I don't think he will run, but I think he would do extraordinarily well, and would fight for our issues every step of the way.

compromise
06-12-2013, 05:03 AM

A few did. The Paul campaign got a bump in the polls after Cain and Bachmann dropped out.

Ron did manage to appeal to some mainstream conservatives who liked his fiscal stances, but Rand can broaden the base much further.

damiengwa
06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
How bout a Paul/Paul ticket....

Paul/Paul 2016!

Christian Liberty
06-12-2013, 05:36 PM
No. Just no. Rand isn't anywhere near as good as Ron.

Walter Block has also written in some of his essays that he supports Rand. Let Ron do his thing, and let's keep Rand under our wings so he stays closer to many of the things that appealed to us about Ron. He will be infinitely better than GJ.
Where else has he mentioned Rand? Link? This is the first time I remember him ever mentioning Rand. I'd actually probably give Rand more like an 85% than a 70%, but I'm not an ancap so that might play a role in that.

Ron's not gonna run, and it would be counterproductive to pit him against Rand in the primaries. Ron on the Libertarian ticket, however, would be nice. Just imagine a debate stage with a Democrat crony (probably Hilary), Ron, and then Rand. Then have one of the Pauls conceding and throwing their support to the other. Oh how I wish I could live in my fantasy world...
Ron won't run against Rand. Ever.

Bitch! Jesus isn't even better than Ron Paul.Being a Christian, Ron Paul would disagree with you. Even being mindful of where I am, I still disagree with you as well. God >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ron Paul. Sorry, but its true.

How bout a Paul/Paul ticket....

Paul/Paul 2016!

Ron on top, Rand in back!

supermario21
06-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Kind words for Rand here- http://lewrockwell.com/block/block181.html

He also wrote an essay on Ron's supreme court appointees and mentioned them being appointed in a possible Rand administration.

And here's his essay talking about support.

http://lewrockwell.com/block/block212.html

Post election commentary

Now that the election is over, perhaps a bit of stock taking is in order. My own strategy is that if a Ron Paul or even a Gary Johnson or a Rand Paul is running for the nomination as president on the GOP ticket, I would support that person in the nominating process, and certainly in the general election.