PDA

View Full Version : Children’s media use cuddly animals to reinforce ‘racist’

mad cow
06-08-2013, 08:26 PM
and 'socially dominant norms' researcher says

More than 7,000 academics are gathered in Victoria, B.C., this week for the annual Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, presenting papers on everything from the errant lessons of Grey’s Anatomy to Justin Trudeau’s political brand power. In this week-long series, the National Post showcases some of the most interesting research.

HAndoutFranklin the friendly turtle.
Parents who read their kids stories about happy, human-like animals like Franklin the Turtle or Arthur at bedtime are exposing their kids to racism, materialism, homophobia and patriarchal norms, according to a paper presented at the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Most animals portrayed in children’s books, songs and on clothing send a bad message, according to academics Nora Timmerman and Julia Ostertag: That animals only exist for human use, that humans are better than animals, that animals don’t have their own stories to tell, that it’s fine to “demean” them by cooing over their cuteness. Perhaps worst of all, they say, animals are anthropomorphized to reinforce “socially dominant norms” like nuclear families and gender stereotypes.

Young children’s media reproduces and confirms racist, colonial, consumerist, heteronormative, and patriarchal norms

More hilarity at link:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/06/childrens-media-use-cuddly-animals-to-reinforce-racist-and-socially-dominant-norms-researcher-says/

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-08-2013, 09:10 PM
this lady is an idiot

Anti Federalist
06-08-2013, 09:13 PM
this lady is an idiot

Yup.

And millions like her are in charge of indoctrinating children, especially boys, every day in government schools all across AmeriKa and Kanada.

Government schools are child abuse.

Origanalist
06-08-2013, 09:15 PM
and 'socially dominant norms' researcher says

More hilarity at link:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/06/childrens-media-use-cuddly-animals-to-reinforce-racist-and-socially-dominant-norms-researcher-says/

It would be funny, but somehow I think this crap is coming soon to a child near you.

MelissaWV
06-09-2013, 12:04 PM
that animals don’t have their own stories to tell

Well if they had stories to tell, she'd just stop them from being told, so...

James Madison
06-09-2013, 12:36 PM
More than 7,000 academics are gathered in Victoria, B.C., this week for the annual Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences...

Academics and humanities and the Social Sciences in the same sentence does not compute.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-09-2013, 03:15 PM
it's racist to put a dog on a leash

Dr.3D
06-09-2013, 03:19 PM
it's racist to put a dog on a leash

ehhh.... you shouldn't tell him to get back on the porch either.

mad cow
06-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Well,I would like to encourage her.I am looking forward to her children's book:
Hubert,The Anti-Colonial,Heteroabnormative Hog.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Well,I would like to encourage her.I am looking forward to her children's book:
Hubert,The Anti-Colonial,Heteroabnormative Hog.

Hubert is a human name, you human supremest!!!

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Most animals portrayed in children’s books, songs and on clothing send a bad message, according to academics Nora Timmerman and Julia Ostertag: That animals only exist for human use

I share that view. The same kinds of people who view animals as "things" often view other people as "things." This is why there's a correlation that serial killers often have a history of animal abuse.

I think it's a sign of good mental health to have concern for fellow animals, just like it's a sign of good mental health to have concern for fellow humans.

As far as mixing all of those other things in with that, meh.

Occam's Banana
06-09-2013, 04:26 PM
They are absolutely right! To this day, I hate purple dinosaurs with a burning blue passion ...