PDA

View Full Version : Why Ron Paul? Let Me Count the Ways

American
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
This is a great article about Ron Paul, Click the link and lets get this site some traffic!!!
http://www.newuniversity.org/checkDB.php?id=6337

By Christopher George
I recently registered as a Republican for the first time and cringed when I did. It isn’t that I hate Republicans or what they say or stand for, but the idea of identifying myself with a group that has, for 10 years, eroded and compromised the principles that they espouse regularly on right-wing news outlets left a bitter taste in my mouth. I had originally intended to reregister as an Independent from my previous registration as a Libertarian, but I decided to go Republican. Why? Ron Paul. But why Ron Paul? It isn’t the man—it’s the idea.

I hear regularly that we need the federal government to run our health care, run our schools, tell us what what we are allowed to do, invade foreign nations to impose our idea of democracy, decide for us whether or not we can smoke pot, regulate alcohol and tax us as much as they need and/or want in order to do all these things. Why do we need these things? Why can’t we help ourselves, take responsibility and live charitable lives without such an intrusive government? The answer is that we can.

The reason we have such an imposing government is due to our inability to cope with reality and consequences. Someone overdoses on a narcotic: start a prohibition. Someone can’t pay for health insurance: universalize it. Someone gets shot: ban guns. We elect George W. Bush, become dissatisfied with his policies and clamor for more Al Gore in our lives. This sort of reactionary policy may sound alright in these contexts, but where does it end? How about: someone chokes on a piece of broccoli? Should we ban broccoli? When is it that we will begin to take responsibility for ourselves? If you forget to chew your food, you may choke. If you drink too much alcohol, you may have some health problems.

On the other side of the argument, if you work hard and invest well, you should receive the monetary benefits of your actions. These are the consequences of our actions and instead of trying to remove them from the picture, we should embrace them and try to avoid negative outcomes.

continued..
http://www.newuniversity.org/checkDB.php?id=6337