PDA

View Full Version : Information control

asurfaholic
06-08-2013, 11:50 AM
The administrations past and current display a trend towards shutting down Internet free speech and anonymous use.

In the coming years, assuming the trend continues, how will alternative media compete with the mainstream when the Internet, the last frontier, is being censored and dissenting voices are shut down routinely.

Of course, this is a hypothetical question, but I do not trust congress to vote correctly on future CISPA type legislation.

Ben Swann
06-13-2013, 07:06 PM
That is a great question. I think any reasonable person would say that considering what the current and past administrations have done to cut down on free speech and to suppress whistleblowers... the internet is the next great battleground of American liberty. the goal will be to stop alternative media

maxxgraphix
06-18-2013, 07:25 PM
They can't stop the internet. No crazy laws or filtering or ISP blocking will stop alternative media. Just imagine an ADHOC wireless network in your community where every system was a content server. How do you stop that? Send the police to confiscate all the WiFi routers? What about those with HF radios that can transmit data over thousands of miles? I've done 802.11 over 1 mile using nothing more than a hacked Linksys.

Natural Citizen
06-18-2013, 07:59 PM
That is a great question. I think any reasonable person would say that considering what the current and past administrations have done to cut down on free speech and to suppress whistleblowers... the internet is the next great battleground of American liberty. the goal will be to stop alternative media

You have Zuckerberg and others like him who are in positions of technological/social control polishing politicians to provide for his/their interest in using the H1-B to bring in young immigrants to literally monitor free speech on the web. Media is hardly the nuts and bolts when placed into such vague perspective. Terms of controversy are broad and a lot of legislation is running abreast.

I had posted a rather well written paper on what zuckerberg and others like him were specifically trying to do from one of the most respected people in the technology industry....specifically the internet having had a part in it's existence going all the way back to darpanet. Like other relevant scribbles we don't always want to acknowledge because it makes our favorite politicians look bad should all of the facts be addressed, it remains buried as usual as the political paradigm regarding immigration goes full blown political romper room and the terms of controversy are spun six ways from Tuesday.

Is a big old glass of water. Can have all of the alternative media in the world but if the people lack perception in scope then is just another venture in my opinion.

asurfaholic
06-19-2013, 02:25 PM
I was super stoked to see my question was the first to be answered...

But I am pretty disappointed to see he only acknowledged what we already knew, and didn't answer my question.

The question was
how will alternative media compete with the mainstream when the Internet, the last frontier, is being censored and dissenting voices are shut down routinely.

I guess I missed a question mark, but this was the heart of my post...