PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: "The Morton Downey Jr. Movie" features episode with Ron Paul

Constitutional Paulicy
06-08-2013, 03:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw0cbBQrnDk

An unaccountably gentle portrait of a pioneering TV asshole, Évocateur: The Morton Downey Jr. Movie posits its namesake’s short-lived talk show (1987–1989) as the template for the subsequent outrage-baiting of Jerry Springer, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck—not to mention a natural successor to the paranoia-mongering of Joe McCarthy. Downey wasn’t the first media demagogue, but his legacy, as one interviewee optimistically puts it, was his “passion,” as well as what another calls his ability to make it cool for a host to berate his guests. The film trots out vintage footage of Downey fighting with Ron Paul over drug legalization and the epic shouting matches he engineered after Tawana Brawley’s rape allegations hit the news, during which time he and Al Sharpton became partners in mutual exploitation. As Downey’s numbers began to slip, he eventually crafted his own sensationalizing charges, fabricating an incident in which he claimed skinheads had beat him up in an airport restroom.

more here.... http://www.avclub.com/articles/evocateur-the-morton-downey-jr-movie,98659/

Warlord
06-08-2013, 04:08 AM
A ranting demagogue. Springer is probably the closest thing with the lynch mob and O'Reilly when he decides to viciously attack his own guests reminds me of him.

Constitutional Paulicy
06-08-2013, 04:24 AM
A ranting demagogue. Springer is probably the closest thing with the lynch mob and O'Reilly when he decides to viciously attack his own guests reminds me of him.

I cant even begin to watch Springer. When Downey was on TV I avoided it as well. There are people in other countries who get the impression that the guests on these shows are average Americans. Since I have lived abroad for nearly 20 years now, I have fielded more than enough questions from non-Americans and their curiosity about this kind of nonsense.