PDA

View Full Version : 10 Republicans vote against DHS funding

TaftFan
06-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Just voted NO on FY 2014 funding for Homeland Security. Something must be done about its unconstitutional abuse by Obama.

Joined by nine other Republicans: Amash, Bentivolio, Duncan (TN), Jones, Lummis, Massie, Petri, Sanford, Sensenbrenner.

It passed the House 245-187.-Steve Stockman

Lucille
06-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Hard to believe the Ruling Class has the guts to fund more police statism, today of all days.

compromise
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Sensenbrenner has really improved recently. Maybe he's coming over?

Glad to see Bentivolio voted right too.

Will be interesting to see what happens when this goes to the Senate. Flake has a history of voting against DHS funding. Will he remain principled or flip-flop, like he did on so many other issues?

Spoa
06-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Bump for importance.

Origanalist
06-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Link? I'm currently having a "discussion" with a bunch of neo-cons.

cindy25
06-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Sensenbrenner.voted no?

I thought he was Mr National ID, similar to Peter King or Mike Rogers

why is Raul Labrador voting the wrong way?

AJ Antimony
06-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Sensenbrenner.voted no?

I thought he was Mr National ID, similar to Peter King or Mike Rogers

why is Raul Labrador voting the wrong way?

I haven't read anything about the bill at all, but if it's really nothing more than Yes or No on continued DHS funding, you could probably predict some conservative reasons for voting to continued funding. For example, if you want to abolish or downsize the DHS over time instead of in one fell swoop.

tsai3904
06-06-2013, 11:11 PM
I haven't read anything about the bill at all, but if it's really nothing more than Yes or No on continued DHS funding, you could probably predict some conservative reasons for voting to continued funding. For example, if you want to abolish or downsize the DHS over time instead of in one fell swoop.

It spends more than last year.

Here's the roll call vote:
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll211.xml

DGambler
06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Link? I'm currently having a "discussion" with a bunch of neo-cons.

First they came for the Libertarians, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Libertarian.

Then they came for the Republicans, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Republican.

Then they came for the Democrats, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Democrat.

Then they came for NeoCons, and there was no one left to speak for them.

AJ Antimony
06-06-2013, 11:33 PM
It spends more than last year.

Here's the roll call vote:
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll211.xml

Ok. Still, it looks like the FY appropriations for DHS. If you vote No, then it looks like you are saying 'no funding at all for DHS this FY.' Maybe there are many anti-DHS reps who, instead of voting to completely remove funding, would rather vote now to continue funding, but then work on downsizing the agency, slowly, in the future.

I don't agree with that reasoning and if I were in the House, I'd be the #11 Republican voting No, but again, I'm just trying to answer cindy's question for why some fiscal conservatives would vote to continue DHS funding.

tsai3904
06-06-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't agree with that reasoning and if I were in the House, I'd be the #11 Republican voting No, but again, I'm just trying to answer cindy's question for why some fiscal conservatives would vote to continue DHS funding.

I think Republicans voted for it because they want to spend more on defense and the DHS is part of that. Of the 30 or so real fiscal conservatives, I doubt even half want to decrease military/defense spending.