PDA

View Full Version : 'Don’t worry, Canada will take care of you'

enhanced_deficit
06-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Injured Afghan vet testifies about struggle for benefits, despite warning

Published Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:02PM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:04PM EDT A fourth-generation solider who served in Afghanistan said he felt compelled to disobey orders and speak out about his experience as an injured veteran, regardless of the consequences he may face.
Vancouver-native Cpl. Glen Kirkland barely survived a Taliban ambush in the Zhari district of Afghanistan five years ago, and said he fears he’ll have no pension when he’s discharged, or be given adequate assistance for covering his medical bills for a long list of injuries.
The 29-year-old recalled the terrifying attack during a parliamentary hearing on Wednesday.

Cpl. Glen Kirkland testifies at a Senate committee on Wednesday, June 6, 2013.

“My tour was one of bloodshed, constant fighting and on the second last day of my tour, my platoon was ambushed by an estimated 120 Taliban fighters,” an emotional Kirkland recalled.
He said the rocket that hit his vehicle missed him by “inches.”
Three of the five soldiers in the vehicle died in the attack.
“I had to pull myself while on fire, and through gunfire, to try to extract my dead and dying brothers-in-arms.”

The attack, Kirkland said, resulted in the loss of 75 per cent of his hearing, the loss of some sight and a brain injury that left him forever dependant on insulin.
“I suffer from PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) so badly that I haven’t been able to visit my home in Vancouver for years,” he said, with tears in his eyes. “I can’t handle the anxiety of being around crowds. Survivor’s guilt haunts me every day.”
Kirkland recalled the phone call he made to his father while in the hospital in Afghanistan.
“My dad said, ‘Don’t worry, Canada will take care of you,’” he said. “My dad was wrong.”

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/injured-afghan-vet-testifies-about-struggle-for-benefits-despite-warning-1.1313295 (http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/injured-afghan-vet-testifies-about-struggle-for-benefits-despite-warning-1.1313295#ixzz2VPLlMh5s)

Petar
06-05-2013, 10:45 PM
The mentality of most soldiers is just insane.

Go ahead and risk your life killing a bunch of brown people, and then everyone will worship you as a hero.

I'm sorry that this guy was on fire and stuff, but these people seriously need to be knocked off of their high horse.

When has Canada ever participated in a war to protect its own borders?

Precisely zero times.

otherone
06-06-2013, 04:46 AM
The mentality of most soldiers is just insane.

Go ahead and risk your life killing a bunch of brown people, and then everyone will worship you as a hero.

It is the naive statism of the father that is the problem here. It seems certain dad encouraged son to do his "duty". How can Canada take care of you while putting you in harm's way? If dad raised his boy to know the truth, Glen would be whole today.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SyqwPKnPPCg/TlYfpMW5UjI/AAAAAAAAAMs/kJqZqQjRUU0/s1600/leadersgetyoukilledpatch.jpg