PDA

View Full Version : FL Governor relieves sheriff over concealed carry case

XNavyNuke
06-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Sheriff Finch, elected last year, was suspended and charged over his intervention in a citizens' arrest. The citizen had been carrying concealed without a permit when he was pulled over in a traffic stop. Looks like the arresting deputy got his nose out of joint and reported the sheriff to the state police.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Liberty-County-Sheriffs-Office--210152161.html

Press Release: Office of Governor Rick Scott

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Today, Governor Rick Scott announced the appointment of Carl Causey as Interim Sheriff of Liberty County.

Causey, 53, of Gulf Breeze, has been the Assistant Special Agent in Charge for the Pensacola Region of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement since 2010. Previously, ASAC Causey served 11 years with the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office where he worked in patrol and investigations. Causey served as an agent in the Sebring Field Office of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement from 1993 to 1996, and as an agent in the Pensacola Regional Operations Center from 1996 to 2007. In 2007, he was promoted to Special Agent Supervisor over the Major Crimes Squad. He received his bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Troy State University.

Governor Scott said, “I am confident that Carl Causey will serve the families of Liberty County well during this interim term.”

Causey replaces suspended Liberty County Sheriff Nick Finch, and is appointed for a term beginning June 4, 2013, and ending July 4, 2013.

Good ole Goobener Scott, upholder of freedom and liberty!
XNN

pcosmar
06-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Wait,, Sheriffs are appointed?
I thought they were elected.

I suppose this is what is known as a "workaround" remedy for a constitutional Sheriff.

XNavyNuke
06-05-2013, 06:16 PM

I suppose this is what is known as a "workaround" remedy for a constitutional Sheriff.

Finch ran as an Independent against the Democrat incumbent. Pretty sure there's political enemies involved.

XNN

ClydeCoulter
06-05-2013, 06:39 PM
*shakes head*

edit: They won't allow common sense or upholding the Constitution by an elected official, will they?

nobody's_hero
06-05-2013, 07:59 PM
If Finch is not a felon then he can run again right? That'd be hilarious for the governor to remove him and then the people of his county vote him back in when elections roll around.

Edit: Is that a mistake about the term? Is the interim sheriff only going to serve for 1 month?

Edit 2: Apparently they can charge him with a felony since he may have destroyed paperwork regarding the case to set the man free. That sucks.

TheTexan
06-05-2013, 08:18 PM

I'm sure if we elect a few more people it will resolve this problem, no worries

TheTexan
06-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Finch ran as an Independent against the Democrat incumbent. Pretty sure there's political enemies involved.

XNN

I'm more inclined to believe that he was fired for the exact reason specified in the story: obeying the 2nd amendment

Neil Desmond
06-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Can someone elected to a constitutional office just be tossed out like that? I thought they would have to be impeached or something to that effect. Also my understanding is that a sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer for a county, meaning the governor is not, thus making the state police subservient to the sheriff. Seems like the governor usurped a sheriff. Where am I wrong? What am I missing?

nobody's_hero
06-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm gonna to tattle on Rick to Sheriff Mack.

BAllen
06-05-2013, 08:56 PM
The Sheriff will win this case. His attorney had this to say:
His attorney, Jimmy Judkins, released the following statement:

"The records at the jail show exactly what happened in this case and the records speak the truth. The sheriff looked at the facts and said 'I believe in the second ammendment and we're not going to charge him.' That is not misconduct at all. That is within the Sheriff's perogative whether to charge someone or not."

Reason
06-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Cliff notes anyone?

TheTexan
06-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Cliff notes anyone?

Some dude gets busted with a gun without a permit.

Some asshole deputy charges dude with crime.

Some awesome sheriff guy is all like "2nd amendment, mmk" and tosses the charges out

Some asshole governor is all like "you cant do that derp derp!" and fires the awesome sheriff guy

nobody's_hero
06-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Comments at the link seem to be overwhelmingly positive.

Reason
06-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Some dude gets busted with a gun without a permit.

Some asshole deputy charges dude with crime.

Some awesome sheriff guy is all like "2nd amendment, mmk" and tosses the charges out

Some asshole governor is all like "you cant do that derp derp!" and fires the awesome sheriff guy

Ah, okay.

Well,

FUCK the governor then...

Didn't know the governor could fire a sheriff...