PDA

View Full Version : House rejects amendment to kill all funding for TSA

Warlord
06-05-2013, 03:45 PM
GOP likes to complain about spending but does nothing about spending.

Thanks anyway to Paul Broun. Please consider supporting him for Senate:

https://www.facebook.com/events/189559621193979/

-
The House on Wednesday afternoon defeated a Republican proposal to kill all funding for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in the 2014 Department of Homeland Security spending bill.

Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.) brought up the idea during amendment debate, and said that by eliminating the bloated and ineffective TSA, taxpayers would immediately save about $5 billion.

Broun said the TSA has seen a 400 percent increase in staff since it was established, many of whom are based in the TSA's headquarters earning six-figure salaries. He said despite this increase in staff, many security breaches still occur.

"We have evidence today that terrorists on the no-fly list still have been able to board U.S. aircraft," he said during debate.

In addition, Broun said the agency has shown a lack of professionalism, and many workers have been known to steal things from travelers and harass them as they wait for flights.

"Just about the only thing that the TSA is consistently good at is using its extensive power to violate American travelers' civil liberties," he said.

But Broun's proposal stood little chance of being accepted, given opposition from both Democrats and Republicans.

"This amendment is unnecessary and harmful to national security in my opinion," Rep. John Carter (R-Texas) said.

"Am I happy with TSA? No," Carter added. "Most people who travel have some criticism with TSA. But zeroing out TSA and leaving our airports unsecure is not the the solution to the problem."

After Carter's remarks, the House quickly voted down the amendment by voice vote.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/303685-house-rejects-amendment-to-kill-all-funding-for-tsa#ixzz2VNf1O69n

Seraphim
06-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Total lack of critical thinking skills:

"Am I happy with TSA? No," Carter added. "Most people who travel have some criticism with TSA. But zeroing out TSA and leaving our airports unsecure is not the the solution to the problem."

Root
06-05-2013, 03:48 PM
GOP loves their military industrial complex addiction.

Warlord
06-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Total lack of critical thinking skills:

That's Congress for you. The GOP has absolutely no intention of cutting any government whatsoever.

TaftFan
06-05-2013, 03:56 PM
One more reason to support Broun.

ZENemy
06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
No confidence 2016

Spoa
06-06-2013, 07:23 AM
A roll call vote was taken to limit the TSA (different amendment from this one) to limit TSA:
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll201.xml

You can use this to figure out TSA-loving representatives.(they're the no votes).

Spoa
06-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Another vote to limit TSA will occur today:

Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) proposed a separate amendment that would prevent TSA from spending money to run operations outside airports. Democrats and Republicans said they opposed this idea, which is similar to one the House rejected earlier in the day — this will also get a vote on Thursday.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/303809-last-call-house-approves-a-few-last-dhs-amendments#ixzz2VRUy7k00
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Call now and urge a YES vote.

HOLLYWOOD
06-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Broun said the TSA has seen a 400 percent increase in staff since it was established, many of whom are based in the TSA's headquarters earning six-figure salaries. He said despite this increase in staff, many security breaches still occur.Typical government... the BORG continues to grow and as usual, government spending billions on the symptoms, instead of the cause. We all know is directly related to terrorizing the world through numerous horrifying avenues of; deceit, bribery, sanctioning, starving, confiscating, invading, bombing, killing, overthrowing, occupying, stealing, raping, of foreign countries governments, waters, & lands.

Blackburn Amendment vote FAILED 196 to 225 with 14 no votes
***preventing TSA from operating outside airports***

36 Republicans
189 Democrats

Voted Nay

Some of Homeland Security Budget increases includes:

Increasing 1600 additional CBP officers
Increasing the funding for 'WATCH LISTING' for the 3rd year in a row
Increasing budget for VISA enforcement
Increasing 'First Responders' Grants by $400 Million to a total this year of $2.5 Billion
Doubling the amount for 'BOMB PREVENTION'
$30 Million for 'PRE-DISASTER MITIGATION' Grants

Here's one... $6.5 BILLION for disaster aid recovery, of a $10 Billion FEMA budget. They're spending money on disasters that haven't happen? When has that not stop Congress to fund a disaster when they happen? ...e.g., Katrina $50 Billion or Sandy $60 Billion.

Betcha some of the "Disaster Money' finds it's ways to covert insurgents & weapons funding in foreign lands.

tangent4ronpaul
06-06-2013, 09:03 AM
SHIT! :(

-t

Spoa
06-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Here's the roll call for Blackburn Amdt: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll209.xml

TaftFan
06-06-2013, 02:03 PM
A roll call vote was taken to limit the TSA (different amendment from this one) to limit TSA:
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll201.xml

You can use this to figure out TSA-loving representatives.(they're the no votes).

We need to get Weber off of the liberty candidates list already. Ron only endorsed him because he was replacing him.

Czolgosz
06-06-2013, 02:07 PM
This should not shock anybody here.

compromise
06-06-2013, 02:08 PM
We need to get Weber off of the liberty candidates list already. Ron only endorsed him because he was replacing him.

Normally Weber is a pretty solid conservative. This is a disappointing vote though, he probably should lose a star for it.

ZENemy
06-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Wait a second, did someone think they would defund the TSA?

I laugh at you, you do not pay attention.

TaftFan
06-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Normally Weber is a pretty solid conservative. This is a disappointing vote though, he probably should lose a star for it.

When you get to the one or two star level, there is no point in being on the list. I think he is already two star.

compromise
06-07-2013, 01:15 AM
When you get to the one or two star level, there is no point in being on the list. I think he is already two star.

I don't really agree. There are a lot of strong candidates (e.g. Walsh) with 2 stars, sometimes better than those with 3 stars (e.g. Tisei). Just Tisei would have voted against the Patriot Act while Walsh wouldn't have. Doesn't matter that Walsh was one of the most fiscally conservative members of the House, slept in his office instead of using taxpayer dollars for an apartment, was one of a handful of Repubs who voted to withdraw from Afghanistan immediately and voted against NDAA 2012, while Tisei was a RINO who voted for Romneycare, supported Giuliani and was associated with the centrist "No Labels" group.

TaftFan
06-07-2013, 07:00 AM
I don't really agree. There are a lot of strong candidates (e.g. Walsh) with 2 stars, sometimes better than those with 3 stars (e.g. Tisei). Just Tisei would have voted against the Patriot Act while Walsh wouldn't have. Doesn't matter that Walsh was one of the most fiscally conservative members of the House, slept in his office instead of using taxpayer dollars for an apartment, was one of a handful of Repubs who voted to withdraw from Afghanistan immediately and voted against NDAA 2012, while Tisei was a RINO who voted for Romneycare, supported Giuliani and was associated with the centrist "No Labels" group.

I would have made Walsh a three star. But Weber isn't on Walsh's level IMO.

Here are my rankings so far: http://libertycircle.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html