PDA

View Full Version : The Atlantic: Should We Trust Economists ?

J_White
06-05-2013, 02:29 AM
They're fractious, frequently wrong, and have lost much of the public's faith. But their insights are still valuable -- as long as you don't expect them to predict the future.

Finally, though mainstream economists may not have it all figured out, they are far better than most of the groups who lurk outside the mainstream. For example, spend an afternoon reading the ideas of so-called "Austrian" economists, who believe that we only need logic to understand how the economy works, and that data and evidence are useless. Absurd. But that's the kind of alternative that's out there, and some people really believe that stuff.

Ahem, feel free to post some comments there.

So he is basically saying that even if the economists cannot predict the future - like the housing and financial crisis in 2007/08, or like the coming currency crisis, we should just go on printing money and giving it to few banks. it will eventually work.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/06/should-we-trust-economists/276497/

Warlord
06-05-2013, 02:49 AM
The same BS is being spoken in the economics forum by kozel:

"We must model the economy and trust these great professional economists who have all been wrong for the past decade,.. keep listening to them and doing what they suggest"

In other words the definition of insanity.

Occam's Banana
06-05-2013, 03:24 AM
OK. So let me make sure I've got this straight. We are to sneeringly dismiss Austrian economics as "absurd" because it rejects "data and evidence" *as* "useless." But at the same time, we are to embrace "mainstream" economics - while rejecting all the "data and evidence" that it *is* useless (it is, by the author's own admission, fractious, frequently wrong, has lost the public's faith, can't be expected to make successful predictions, etc., etc.).

I detect the stench of special pleading ...

J_White
06-05-2013, 03:38 AM
if u can't understand or logically debate something, just call it "absurd" !

otherone
06-05-2013, 04:21 AM
I detect the stench of special pleading ...

Kinda like when Obama mentioned during a commencement speech to not listen to the "conspiracy theorists" who question government.
It all means we are being heard.

A Son of Liberty
06-05-2013, 05:09 AM
As with most things in the world today, their premises are all wrong. Thus, inevitably, they come to the incorrect conclusions. And not just 'incorrect', but to destructive and deadly conclusions.

Adjusting ones premises requires a paradigm shift... no small matter. That is why it is my view that nothing will change until people recognize that the way they have learned to look at the world is all wrong. We're literally living in a conjured reality, completely out of touch with foundational truths.

But to say such things is to be a mad man.