PDA

View Full Version : Why have you people not told me about Thomas Sowell!?

Athan
06-04-2013, 09:18 PM
This guy is a boss!
Here's a vid with him and Charlie Rose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1OOSKBR9O8

supermario21
06-04-2013, 09:19 PM
His essays get printed on Lew Rockwell all the time, I'm a fan.

angelatc
06-04-2013, 09:34 PM
He's really good on economics, but a foreign policy hawk. Sigh.

Occam's Banana
06-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Dammit! Allright, 'fess up! Who let Athan find out about Sowell?

Didn't we have someone in place to prevent this kind of thing from happening?

Well, the damage is done. Let's just hope he doesn't find out about ... OOH! Hey, look, Athan! A squirrel! ...

TaftFan
06-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Have you heard about his friend, Walter Williams?

supermario21
06-04-2013, 09:53 PM

He's even better, a total libertarian. His essays are wonderful.

TaftFan
06-04-2013, 09:57 PM

He isn't a foreign policy libertarian-though leaning more that way than Sowell.

Both oppose the drug war and the Federal Reserve.

heavenlyboy34
06-04-2013, 09:59 PM
He's really good on economics, but a foreign policy hawk. Sigh.
That^^ He's not really a consistent "liberty" person by any measure.

Keith and stuff
06-04-2013, 10:00 PM

They both would score libertarian on the worlds smallest political quiz. Good enough for me. I prefer Williams writing and speaking but like them both.

heavenlyboy34
06-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Much more pro-liberty (and more amusing) than Sowell, but still not on board with everything the "liberty movement" is about. I really only listen to broadcast talk radio when Williams is on.

sailingaway
06-04-2013, 10:02 PM
I posted something he wrote yesterday, I think. I don't know him that well, but I run across his stuff from time to time.

emazur
06-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Extremely libertarian on economics (and in the last couple years he's finally advocating abolishing the Fed). But conservative on other things - most people would probably be surprised to learn that he thinks government should prevent gays from marrying, an issue that is pretty much a slam dunk for real libertarians (with some devise such as whether the government should be involved in marriage at all, though oddly enough you won't find people who are willing to get divorced just to prove that point)

oyarde
06-05-2013, 12:17 AM
I posted something he wrote yesterday, I think. I don't know him that well, but I run across his stuff from time to time.

The books are good .

TaftFan
06-05-2013, 12:18 AM
He should be a Nobel Prize winner for his work on race economics. For some reason (sarcasm), they haven't awarded it to him.

PaulConventionWV
06-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Extremely libertarian on economics (and in the last couple years he's finally advocating abolishing the Fed). But conservative on other things - most people would probably be surprised to learn that he thinks government should prevent gays from marrying, an issue that is pretty much a slam dunk for real libertarians (with some devise such as whether the government should be involved in marriage at all, though oddly enough you won't find people who are willing to get divorced just to prove that point)

That's like saying Catholic schools should refuse tax breaks to prove the point that government should not be involved in the school system. It's a redundant and pointless argument to make.

Nobody refuses being let off the hook a little by thieves because they perceive they are being let off the hook unequally to others.

J_White
06-05-2013, 02:49 AM

Well, the damage is done. Let's just hope he doesn't find out about ... OOH! Hey, look, Athan! A squirrel! ...

LOL.

jkr
06-05-2013, 06:20 AM
you people?

FrankRep
06-05-2013, 06:43 AM
This guy is a boss!
Here's a vid with him and Charlie Rose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1OOSKBR9O8

I post Thomas Sowell articles here often.

Athan
06-05-2013, 07:06 AM
I don't usually post spanish but..

lol que gaucho....

Yes. Whom by the way is widely talked about in our circle. Judging from the responses of Sowell being a foreign policy hawk though, explains why I haven't heard of him up till now.

Athan
06-05-2013, 07:09 AM
you people?

1. Find an offensive way to to phrase it "you people".
2. Phrasing it offensively.
3. ????
4. Profit!

I post Thomas Sowell articles here often.
I'm going to have to start looking more into your posts!

FrankRep
06-05-2013, 07:13 AM
I'm going to have to start looking more into your posts!

This link has tons of Thomas Sowell articles:

Thomas Sowell - The New American
http://www.thenewamerican.com/component/k2/itemlist/user/9314-thomassowell

Athan
06-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks!

AlexAmore
06-06-2013, 12:34 AM
edit: wrong thread

Christian Liberty
06-06-2013, 05:52 AM

Someone who thinks government should PREVENT it, yeah, that would be unlibertarian. But not recognizing it isn't the same as preventing it. I can understand why libertarians would have different views on that. For me, I don't think government's job should be to stop immoral activities that don't have a victim but that doesn't mean I want them endorsing it either. If that means I'm not a libertarian even though I want to pull out of everywhere, legalize all drugs, repeal every gun control law, End the Fed, end minimum wage laws, child labor laws, and price-gouging laws (This is not a complete list) than fine... I'll just call myself a minarchist... but nobody does that.

That's like saying Catholic schools should refuse tax breaks to prove the point that government should not be involved in the school system. It's a redundant and pointless argument to make.

Nobody refuses being let off the hook a little by thieves because they perceive they are being let off the hook unequally to others.

This.

gwax23
06-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Him and Walter are Chicago school economists in the way of Milton Friedman. Though both are now leaning more Austrian. I like them both.

matt0611
06-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Yeah, Thomas Sowell is pretty great.

I've read his "Basic Economics", "The Housing Boom and Bust", "Intellectuals and Society", and "Economic Facts and Fallacies".
They're very good. He's a great writer.

Yeah, he's a foreign policy hawk, but to me it seems like he's talking about economics 90-95% of the time.

There's some great interviews with him with the Hoover Institution on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOMksnSaAJ4

Just search for Thomas Sowell on youtube and you'll come up with tons of great stuff.

Also look for Walter Williams.

Here's Walter Williams testifying in South Carolina to support nullification:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjQ8_BnideI

Christian Liberty
06-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Personally, I like Williams much more than Sowell. Not necessarily because of particular policy positions, but because....

Sowell endorsed Gingrich. That's the same reason I can't stomach Bob Barr. Granted, in a two way race between suckage and greater suckage, endorse who you want and I don't care. If Bob Barr, Tom Sowell, or even Ron Paul himself (Ron wouldn't but that's not the point), endorsed Gingrich against Obama, or Romney against Obama, I wouldn't care.

But to endorse Gingrich in a race that Ron Paul is in? That's just ridiculous, and I don't take anyone who does that seriously as a libertarian or even a libertarian leaning moderate.

Walter Williams, for any foreign policy flaws he may have, actually did endorse Ron Paul.