PDA

View Full Version : The_Purge

aGameOfThrones
06-04-2013, 04:18 PM
In the year 2022, the United States is prospering with an unemployment rate at 1% and crime at an all-time low. To keep this prosperity the government creates an annual 12-hour period from the evening of March 21 to the morning of March 22 in which all criminal activity, including murder and rape, becomes legal. Targeting level 10 Government officials as well as using anything above a class 4 weapon are still prohibited during this event. During this time, police and hospitals suspend all assistance services. This event, known as "The Purge", is designed to serve as a catharsis for people, giving them a chance to vent all negative emotions however they desire, with the ultimate goal of keeping unemployment and crime at extremely low levels for the rest of the year.

During this night of violence and crime, a stranger (Edwin Hodge) screaming for help is let into James Sandin's (Ethan Hawke) fortified house during their yearly lock down. The family is then forced into conflict between their beliefs of right and wrong, and a sequence of events involving the stranger's pursuers puts the family's survival in danger. Now, it is up to James, his wife Mary (Lena Headey), and their kids Zoey (Adelaide Kane) and Charlie (Max Burkholder) to make it through the night without turning into the monsters from whom they hide. [3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Purge

AuH20
06-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Even their films of fantasy have a statist slant to them. LOL

RM918
06-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Even their films of fantasy have a statist slant to them. LOL

I wouldn't say it has a statist 'slant', it makes perfect sense that the government would of course still want to protect themselves and try to control how much damage people do.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-04-2013, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't say it has a statist 'slant', it makes perfect sense that the government would of course still want to protect themselves and try to control how much damage people do.

It's a very statist slant. The main premise is that without their "laws," everyone would be out killing each other. Utter bullshit.

CaptUSA
06-04-2013, 05:14 PM
It's a very statist slant. The main premise is that without their "laws," everyone would be out killing each other. Utter bullshit.
Why does this make me think of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_OqKxxy7ko

We all live by rules and regulations... But without those rules and regulations, where would we be now?

PierzStyx
06-05-2013, 04:31 AM

Serious. This entire movie is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard about.

madengr
06-05-2013, 05:52 AM

Yes, and I think criminals would be taken care of quickly by armed citizenry. So in reality the cops are there to protect the criminals. Really stupid looking movie though.

aGameOfThrones
10-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Bump for government shutdown. Purge, purge, purge.

CPUd
10-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Yes, and I think criminals would be taken care of quickly by armed citizenry. So in reality the cops are there to protect the criminals. Really stupid looking movie though.

That is actually what they do. There are groups of suburbanites who go into the cities heavily armed, and go hunting for vagrants and street criminals. Their idea is to remove unproductive members from the communities, but in reality, it turns out they just like killing people.

The majority of families who are middle - upper middle class can afford security systems, and lock their houses down. they spend the night watching live feeds from all over the country of people killing people.

Demigod
10-01-2013, 02:03 AM
That is actually what they do. There are groups of suburbanites who go into the cities heavily armed, and go hunting for vagrants and street criminals. Their idea is to remove unproductive members from the communities, but in reality, it turns out they just like killing people.

The majority of families who are middle - upper middle class can afford security systems, and lock their houses down. they spend the night watching live feeds from all over the country of people killing people.

The notion that suburban rich kids will enter urban areas to hunt the poor people is a pretty dumb idea to base a movie on,it would not even be a fight.The whole idea behind the movie makes no sense after 10 minutes.Laws are not what is stopping people from killing people,only man who bow before the throne of government would ever assume otherwise.

CPUd
10-01-2013, 02:17 AM
The notion that suburban rich kids will enter urban areas to hunt the poor people is a pretty dumb idea to base a movie on,it would not even be a fight.The whole idea behind the movie makes no sense after 10 minutes.Laws are not what is stopping people from killing people,only man who bow before the throne of government would ever assume otherwise.

The first 30 minutes or so is dedicated to the characters justifying the purge; no, I don't agree with it either, and it's a bit painful to sit through the intro when everything they are saying, you think is wrong.

But I don't think you are supposed to agree with it. The young boy questions it throughout the film, and by the end of the film, destroys their entire argument.

The rest of the film is pretty damn creepy though.