PDA

View Full Version : Where to gather on the 30th in Des Moines

mdh
06-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Hiya folks. I just wanted to talk real quick about where to gather together on the 30th at the Iowa Events Center.

After looking at some sattelite images on maps.google.com, it looks like the best spot is a courtyard on the north-western side of the center. You can plug "730 Third Street, Des Moines, IA" into maps.google.com to see what I'm talking about. There appears to be a fountain in the center of the courtyard.

I suspect the first of us may arrive around noon. Please be polite to people entering to attend the ITR/ICA forum - they are not the enemy, they are our future friends, treat them as such. Many of them won't know who Dr. Paul is, but they will learn when he speaks to them and us!

Any feedback is appreciated especially with regards to locale. Parking is a good question as well, if anyone's familiar with the lots in the area.

I'd like this to be stickied for the week if at all possible, Josh? I worry that we may have people wandering around what appears to be a *huge* facility!

DavyDuke17
06-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't know how much of this has been planned.. but I think that there needs to be a plan before hand on what all the out-of-state supporters are going to do for the day, because I think they can do better things than actually attend the forum and listen to the other candidates. Now I have never been to Iowa, ran a campaign, ect. so there is absolutely no reason why anyone should listen to me.. but I am going to give my recommendation anyways on how I think you can have the biggest impact.

In the morning, rally outside the forum and meet Iowans as they head in to the forum and tell them about Ron Paul and the free food after it is over at 5 and pass out brochures. That way more Iowans can plan on staying for Paul instead of finding out about it at the last minute and they can read the brochure while they are bored to death by Tommy Thompson.

During the forum I think it would be best for the Ron Paul crowd to hit the streets and canvas the area by visiting houses, rallying at busy intersections and what not. Maybe the Iowa Ron Paul supporters can help them out by directing them through the town.

Then once the forum is drawing to an end go back and hold a rally outside the hall so they can once again see all the Paul supporters and also remind/urge people that are leaving that they can see the Dr. and get free food. Once Paul finishes up with the speech they open the hall up to all the supporters for a huge party to cap off the wonderful day and inspire all the new converts. The faithful Paul supporters can get there chance to meet the guy they've spent all day campaigning for.

I really wish I could go, but I live in New York and am only a poor college student.

MsDoodahs
06-23-2007, 09:01 PM
and they can read the brochure while they are bored to death by Tommy Thompson.

lol

mdh
06-24-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't know how much of this has been planned.. but I think that there needs to be a plan before hand on what all the out-of-state supporters are going to do for the day, because I think they can do better things than actually attend the forum and listen to the other candidates. Now I have never been to Iowa, ran a campaign, ect. so there is absolutely no reason why anyone should listen to me.. but I am going to give my recommendation anyways on how I think you can have the biggest impact.

In the morning, rally outside the forum and meet Iowans as they head in to the forum and tell them about Ron Paul and the free food after it is over at 5 and pass out brochures. That way more Iowans can plan on staying for Paul instead of finding out about it at the last minute and they can read the brochure while they are bored to death by Tommy Thompson.

We are definitly looking at rallying outside primarily. Handing out brochures works.

During the forum I think it would be best for the Ron Paul crowd to hit the streets and canvas the area by visiting houses, rallying at busy intersections and what not. Maybe the Iowa Ron Paul supporters can help them out by directing them through the town.

This is exactly what the old Dean guy said was a bad idea... furthermore, we'll be in a very downtownish area, if you look at the map/sattelite view on google.

Then once the forum is drawing to an end go back and hold a rally outside the hall so they can once again see all the Paul supporters and also remind/urge people that are leaving that they can see the Dr. and get free food. Once Paul finishes up with the speech they open the hall up to all the supporters for a huge party to cap off the wonderful day and inspire all the new converts. The faithful Paul supporters can get there chance to meet the guy they've spent all day campaigning for.

I really wish I could go, but I live in New York and am only a poor college student.

As the forum is drawing to an end, we'll be going in to see Dr. Paul speak. Hopefully after reading brochures, a lot of the forum-goers will want to see him, too!

Scribbler de Stebbing
06-24-2007, 10:21 AM
I heard we were to meet at the Capitol at 11 for marching orders from the Iowa organizers. Can anyone confirm that?

Good to get this nailed down as some of us are making a day trip and need to know exactly when to arrive.

mdh
06-24-2007, 10:56 AM
I'd like to the official campaign folks to say anything before I take it as an order, given the past confusion on the subject - unless we hear something from Joe Seehusen or some other official campaign folk, I'd say lets stick to the plan of aiming for noon-1pm to arrive in that area of the events center.
It's been said that the idea of running around to peoples' doors is a bad one, and it probably is. Random people from out of state knocking at *my* door wouldn't effect me, I know. If that's what the campaign HQ folks want us to do, we'll go for it on their order, but short of that, I'd say let's stick to this plan which the official campaign is definitly aware of and has so far been supportive of. We can't do any harm by being friendly to folks outside an events center.

mdh
06-24-2007, 10:59 AM
I guess I'll call campaign HQ tomorrow for details, since I know I can trust whoever picks up their real phoneline, if we haven't heard anything by then.

meg44
06-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I've been asked by John Kurr to help coordinate people in hotels etc. I've got a couple of groups who have contacted me. They both have hotels already. I was hoping to get us all in one place and get a group rate. So, if anyone has a hotel or needs a hotel please email me.

Secondly, on the Texas Convoy. How's that plan going? Are there other groups linking up to the idea? I'd like to meet you guys as you head through Kansas. Josh Lowry..I've been trying to call you, but I think I have your number wrong. Could you email me?
Meg
meg9999@gmx.net

meg44
06-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I've been asked by John Kurr to help coordinate people in hotels etc. I've got a couple of groups who have contacted me. They both have hotels already. I was hoping to get us all in one place and get a group rate. So, if anyone has a hotel or needs a hotel please email me.

Secondly, on the Texas Convoy. How's that plan going? Are there other groups linking up to the idea? I'd like to meet you guys as you head through Kansas. Josh Lowry...I've been trying to call you, but I think I have your number wrong. Could you email me?
Meg
meg9999@gmx.net

LibertyEagle
06-24-2007, 11:16 AM
As the forum is drawing to an end, we'll be going in to see Dr. Paul speak. Hopefully after reading brochures, a lot of the forum-goers will want to see him, too!

I thought we were told we should stay outside until after Dr. Paul gives his speech to the IOWANS and then, the partition between the rooms would be taken down and all of us could go in.

Seems to me, it doesn't make sense for us to flood the room, until Dr. Paul has had a chance to address the Iowans. That is kind of the whole purpose of this thing anyway, isn't it?

Hyzn8r
06-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Has anyone looked into what permits may be needed to rally in this area? (I hate that I even have to ask this question).
I'll get there sometime between 12:00 noon and 1:00 PM. I doubt that it'll be hard to find a group of Ron Paul Supporters.
Is someone organizing brochures and stuff, or are we handling these things individually?
I'll see you guys and gals there.
Hyzn8r

mdh
06-24-2007, 11:49 AM
I thought we were told we should stay outside until after Dr. Paul gives his speech to the IOWANS and then, the partition between the rooms would be taken down and all of us could go in.

Seems to me, it doesn't make sense for us to flood the room, until Dr. Paul has had a chance to address the Iowans. That is kind of the whole purpose of this thing anyway, isn't it?

I have not heard this from the campaign staff at all, no.

Here's the official announcement, in case you missed it.

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul will celebrate life and liberty at a rally in Des Moines, Iowa on Saturday, June 30th.

Dr. Paul will share his message of freedom, peace and prosperity at the Hy-Vee Hall, Room C, Iowa Events Center, 730 Third Street, Des Moines, Iowa. The rally will start immediately following the conclusion of the Presidential Candidates Forum sponsored by Iowans for Tax Relief and Iowa Christian Alliance at approximately 4:30 p.m.

The public is invited. Food and beverage will be provided to the first 500 people who arrive.

I see nothing there elluding at all to what you claim, and in fact it seems contradictory by way of ommission. The only thing it explicitly states is that The public is invited. Food and beverage will be provided to the first 500 people who arrive. Nothing about forum attendees, residents of a specific state, etc - just the public.

JoshLowry
06-24-2007, 11:51 AM
It will work itself out...

Let's just play it by ear for those that show up. Joe the official campaign coordinator for Iowa and others will be there directing us on a few guidelines I am sure.

mdh
06-24-2007, 11:54 AM
It will work itself out...

Let's just play it by ear for those that show up. Joe the official campaign coordinator for Iowa and others will be there directing us on a few guidelines I am sure.

That's good to hear. There seem to be a lot of rumors going around. :(

I'll call campaign HQ tomorrow for more details like I said, unless they release some more details before then, and post here what the official word is. Hopefully that can clear up any rumors we've all heard.

JoshLowry
06-24-2007, 12:04 PM
That's good to hear. There seem to be a lot of rumors going around. :(

I'll call campaign HQ tomorrow for more details like I said, unless they release some more details before then, and post here what the official word is. Hopefully that can clear up any rumors we've all heard.

Yeah, we have a few more days to clear up info as it's all a little foggy at this point. That's part of the excitement though. :D

Scribbler de Stebbing
06-24-2007, 07:16 PM
I see nothing there elluding at all to what you claim, and in fact it seems contradictory by way of ommission. The only thing it explicitly states is that The public is invited. Food and beverage will be provided to the first 500 people who arrive. Nothing about forum attendees, residents of a specific state, etc - just the public.

Whether the campaign says it or not, how would it look if all the rally-goers crowd into the room to eat the 500 meals and hear Ron Paul speak, while the unconverted forum-goers try to peak in over shoulders in the doorway. They'll just go home and we will have wasted Dr. Paul's time and accomplished nothing for all the planning.

It's not about us.

They'll get to see us out on the sidewalk when they leave again.

No one is telling anyone what to do, but let's use our legendary brains.

Also, if the forum starts at 1, the forum attendees will be arriving between 12 and 12:30 at the latest. To accomplish our mission, we may want to be in formation before noon.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

mdh
06-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Whether the campaign says it or not, how would it look if all the rally-goers crowd into the room to eat the 500 meals and hear Ron Paul speak, while the unconverted forum-goers try to peak in over shoulders in the doorway. They'll just go home and we will have wasted Dr. Paul's time and accomplished nothing for all the planning.

I don't get the impression that there are meals; I get the impression that there are snacks/sodas... Meal service requires a lot more to-do than the campaign folks have made known here. I also don't know that there's only room for 500 folks in the room, or how many forumgoers there are. For all we know, there could be 200 Ron Paul fans and 200 forumgoers. :)

Lots of unanswered questions, and every attempt to figure out how many real supporters are going seems to get whacky tallies. We won't know how many of *us* there are until the day of the event, I'll bet. The campaign's "official" site for gathering RSVP's seems to be eventful - according to eventful only some 50 people total are coming, and only 4 of them want to see Dr. Paul speak inside of the room. :p

Also, if the forum starts at 1, the forum attendees will be arriving between 12 and 12:30 at the latest. To accomplish our mission, we may want to be in formation before noon.

Hmmmm... I would think most people would try to be arriving at around 1230 at the earliest for something like this, but it's hard to say. It may be good to gather earlier just so that we can all meet and say hi to eachother before the forumgoers begin arriving, too, though... I'm looking forward to meeting old friends and making new ones among supporters there, too.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2007, 09:26 PM

It's not about us.

They'll get to see us out on the sidewalk when they leave again.

No one is telling anyone what to do, but let's use our legendary brains.

Pure common sense. I agree. Thank you. :)

Shink
06-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Any feedback is appreciated especially with regards to locale. Parking is a good question as well, if anyone's familiar with the lots in the area.

I'd like this to be stickied for the week if at all possible, Josh? I worry that we may have people wandering around what appears to be a *huge* facility!

I'm from Iowa and I've been there...twice, I believe. It is pretty big, but isn't too hard to navigate around in there. There are signs around inside, sort of like a hospital. Inside it's just a fancy nice-carpeted building with long hallways and doors on the sides. Those doors are numbered. I don't remember the number we're looking for, but I imagine you can just listen for all the hubbub and it'll be there. As for parking, the place itself has some parking, but seems like a bad idea, because it's in front of the entrance, I believe. We don't want to be blocking anyone. There are parking lots nearby, just find a spot a block or two away if you don't see any space. There might also be one way streets around there, so be mindful of signs.

I also don't know that there's only room for 500 folks in the room, or how many forumgoers there are. For all we know, there could be 200 Ron Paul fans and 200 forumgoers.

The event I went to (Magic state championships, as if you care) had room for probably 50-75 long tables and at least 250 people were in attendance. I think it all depends on how the room is set up. They'll probably have one long table along a wall with the food/drinks. I don't know if they want people standing or sitting. Sitting, you could probably wager that 4 or 500 could fit decently, but since the FIRST 500 get food/drinks, it could be a standup event and fit a lot more people. It's highly possible, also, that there are bigger rooms.

david.griffus
06-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone! My first time posting here. I'm from the Southeast Michigan Meetup group and I know for sure that at least two of us will be coming out to Iowa for the event. I've been in contact with Meg and I think we're going to stay at the Ramada. I second the opinion to get there BEFORE noon.

I'd love to be involved in the planning process as much as possible, so I'll keep checking back here as much as I can. In the meantime, pleae call me at 517-914-5611 if you need to chat about anything.

Dave

simon jester
06-27-2007, 02:06 PM
There is a free outdoor Art Festival in the downtown area fri. 6/29 thru sun 7/1. Arts and Music, and Fireworks even (or at least they have had fireworks in the past)

http://www.desmoinesartsfestival.org

If I'm not mistaken it is less than a couple of miles from the event.

It might be a good place for someone or group to just carry a sign around
with the info on the particulars of the forum.

Not sure what the Art Festival people would think of that so please go
with the guidance of R.P. Headquarters and maybe Joe can give some guidance.

I do hope every one is friendly and non-confrontational, especially to the "other" forum participants. If you get the chance listen to the MP3 of Mr. Failor and Ken, on Jan Mikelsons' show on WHO radio I think about the last 10 minutes.

http://www.mickelson.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=227326

Yeochh!, not a happy camper.

As an Iowan, if I were a member of the Fair Tax Group, I would cancel my membership pronto!

I actually thought about joining, just so I could cancel.

s.j.

netmasta10bt
06-29-2007, 02:36 PM
I do hope every one is friendly and non-confrontational, especially to the "other" forum participants. If you get the chance listen to the MP3 of Mr. Failor and Ken, on Jan Mikelsons' show on WHO radio I think about the last 10 minutes.

http://www.mickelson.libsyn.com/inde...post_id=227326

Thanks for the link. The interview begins at 1:01:20

nevesis
06-29-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't get the impression that there are meals; I get the impression that there are snacks/sodas... Meal service requires a lot more to-do than the campaign folks have made known here. I also don't know that there's only room for 500 folks in the room, or how many forumgoers there are. For all we know, there could be 200 Ron Paul fans and 200 forumgoers. :)

It's burgers, chips, and pops.