PDA

View Full Version : Drone Purchase Could End German DM’s Political Career

sailingaway
06-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Everybody the world over knows that drones are the next big thing militarily, so it probably seemed like a safe bet when German Defense Minister Thomas de Maiziere signed off on investments in the “Euro Hawk” drone. That’s just the sort of thing a DM, especially one who’s been tapped as the next Chancellor, would do.

Five years and €600 million later, de Maiziere’s ministry, as well as his political future look to be in serious jeopardy because the Euro Hawk is ridiculously unsafe, even by the standards of robotic planes that routinely careen out of the sky. The opposition has called the investment a waste “to an unimaginable degree” after it was revealed that the EU had announced the thing was so unsafe that they couldn’t legally fly it in European airspace.

De Maiziere’s problem goes even deeper, because apparently his reaction to learning about this potential embarrassment was to order all data on the Euro Hawk “classified” and then order the German Army’s testing complex to destroy all the files detailing the failure.

http://unofficialnetwork.org/2013/06/drone-purchase-could-end-german-dms-political-career/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I posted a thread with a video that just came out because it was just unclassified, of a drone almost hitting an Afghan passenger plane. I'll get the video.

When I say close, I don't mean 'two hundred feet away' like that one that was near a passenger flight here, either.

sailingaway
06-04-2013, 12:31 AM
The previously classified video below was filmed in 2004 by an unmanned German Luna drone. The 9-year-old video, which was taken over Kabul Afghanistan, shows the 88 lb drone narrowly miss striking the engine of an Afghan passenger plane carrying 100 people. The drone became caught in the air turbulence created by the large passenger plane, causing it to lose control and pass only a few feet underneath the wing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjcBey_6dzQ&feature=youtu.be

The shocking video is causing outrage in Germany, nine years after the incident occurred. Unfortunately for the German Minister of Defense, Thomas de Maiziere, the video is going viral at a rather inconvenient time. Maiziere faces intense public scrutiny over scrapping the ‘Euro Hawk’ surveillance drone project two weeks ago due to excessive cost overruns.

http://lionsofliberty.com/2013/06/03/video-german-drone-narrowly-misses-afghan-passenger-plane/

h/t daily paul

UWDude
06-04-2013, 01:16 AM
€600 million later....

....so, what is the prison term for stealing €600 million from the German people because your friends wanted a contract?

luctor-et-emergo
06-04-2013, 01:38 AM
€600 million later....

....so, what is the prison term for stealing €600 million from the German people because your friends wanted a contract?

Prison term ? It may be Europe, where sometimes people are held accountable, but such a thing won't happen with anything big or with ministers, they will be promoted to some European office nobody cares about but everybody pays (too much) for. Worst thing that really happens here to politicians is to step down in disgrace.

UWDude
06-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Prison term ? It may be Europe, where sometimes people are held accountable, but such a thing won't happen with anything big or with ministers, they will be promoted to some European office nobody cares about but everybody pays (too much) for. Worst thing that really happens here to politicians is to step down in disgrace.

I know, but I think people need to start thinking in terms of the gravity of all the crimes being committed by those in power. He should suffer far more than the end of his political career.