PDA

View Full Version : Any other mega users out there?

jmdrake
06-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Hello folks. I've been using Kim Dotcom's new "mega" service for a while now and....I absolutely love it. It's fast and easy to use and promises top level security. Now I know what the naysayers will say. "You can't trust Kim Dotcom" or "the NSA can crack anything." Well...we know they can crack Google and Yahoo and worse, both services actively cooperate with national security letters. Plus other low level hackers can bust those sites. (Remember Sarah Palin's Yahoo account?) I think as long as everybody keeps using unencrypted stuff almost exclusively we're only asking for the kind of crap like what's happened lately with the Whitehouse spying on reporters emails. Mega doesn't seem to support emails per say, but there's no reason someone couldn't type messages back and forth in a shared text file.

DamianTV
06-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Hello folks. I've been using Kim Dotcom's new "mega" service for a while now and....I absolutely love it. It's fast and easy to use and promises top level security. Now I know what the naysayers will say. "You can't trust Kim Dotcom" or "the NSA can crack anything." Well...we know they can crack Google and Yahoo and worse, both services actively cooperate with national security letters. Plus other low level hackers can bust those sites. (Remember Sarah Palin's Yahoo account?) I think as long as everybody keeps using unencrypted stuff almost exclusively we're only asking for the kind of crap like what's happened lately with the Whitehouse spying on reporters emails. Mega doesn't seem to support emails per say, but there's no reason someone couldn't type messages back and forth in a shared text file.

This could be a relevant replacement for pretty much any electronic text communication if it evolves...

Bitmessage
http://www.blogtips.com/2013/06/bitmessage-anonymous-digital.html

Think Bitcoin or Bittorrent but for communicating...

kcchiefs6465
06-03-2013, 06:50 PM
There is a market for encrypted communications that I hope someone taps. ETA: (Lmao... just realized, no pun intended)

Hell, even a truly encrypted phone call between two phones over the internet. Is that even possible?

Say a magicjack type service but encrypted?

CPUd
06-03-2013, 06:51 PM
There is a market for encrypted communications that I hope someone taps. ETA: (Lmao... just realized, no pun intended)

Hell, even a truly encrypted phone call between two phones over the internet. Is that even possible?

Say a magicjack type service but encrypted?

You mean like SSH with voice? You can tunnel Skype through it.

kcchiefs6465
06-03-2013, 06:57 PM
You mean like SSH with voice? You can tunnel Skype through it.
I appreciate the response, but please, 'retard' the language just a little. I know what Skype is lol... SSH?

I was thinking perhaps like a magicjack type USB device that allows you to place calls except it is all encrypted. Two people have the device ('magicjack') and can place calls back and forth without being monitored.

I am not clear how plausible that is or isn't but it just seems like an untapped market. Truly unmonitorable phones.

I wonder if it's possible?

CPUd
06-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I appreciate the response, but please, 'retard' the language just a little. I know what Skype is lol... SSH?

I was thinking perhaps like a magicjack type USB device that allows you to place calls except it is all encrypted. Two people have the device ('magicjack') and can place calls back and forth without being monitored.

I am not clear how plausible that is or isn't but it just seems like an untapped market. Truly unmonitorable phones.

SSH is just a network protocol for 2 machines to exchange messages, where the messages are encrypted. The beauty of it is that (because it is a protocol) you can take anything that involves message passing and use the SSH connection. What you could do is have a handler app that basically establishes the connection, then opens a message/voice session with someone else who is also running the app by using the secure connection. The voice app could be Skype or it could be something similar; you could probably get someone to build it for you within a couple weeks

jmdrake
06-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Every time you log into a website using https:// you are using SSH. That's what your bank uses when you log into it.

I'm certain one could write an encrypted messaging app for iPhones and Androids without too much trouble. Extending it for voice is above my skill set, but I don't see why not.

kcchiefs6465
06-03-2013, 07:17 PM
SSH is just a network protocol for 2 machines to exchange messages, where the messages are encrypted. The beauty of it is that (because it is a protocol) you can take anything that involves message passing and use the SSH connection. What you could do is have a handler app that basically establishes the connection, then opens a message/voice session with someone else who is also running the app by using the secure connection. The voice app could be Skype or it could be something similar; you could probably get someone to build it for you within a couple weeks

Every time you log into a website using https:// you are using SSH. That's what your bank uses when you log into it.

I'm certain one could write an encrypted messaging app for iPhones and Androids without too much trouble. Extending it for voice is above my skill set, but I don't see why not.
Thanks for the feed back.

I see a lucrative market available but I'm not too sure how the feds would look at it. There might be some telecommunication laws that I am not aware of.

If I had any idea how to I would myself. Encryption is the future of communication I am sure, especially with the government monitoring everyone with such large nets as Stingray. A simple phone app would make millions. A lawyer would probably be best to talk to first. These laws have no ends it seems.

jmdrake
06-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the feed back.

I see a lucrative market available but I'm not too sure how the feds would look at it. There might be some telecommunication laws that I am not aware of.

If I had any idea how to I would myself. Encryption is the future of communication I am sure, especially with the government monitoring everyone with such large nets as Stingray. A simple phone app would make millions. A lawyer would probably be best to talk to first. These laws have no ends it seems.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any current legal impediments. The government used to bar the export of sophisticated encryption technology, which was pretty stupid considering the algorithms were printed in standard computer science text books, and my comp sci graduate programs are/were mostly filled with Chinese, Pakistani and other students from central and east Asia and from countries that may or may not be friendly to the U.S. at any given time. I guess the gubmint thought these top of the class students couldn't memory a simple algorithm and take it out of the country with them on the next flight home? :rolleyes: Anyway, with the growth of the internet, such export controls became ridiculous. The government still has the regulations, but they aren't enforced.

See: https://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/background/index.html

Also it looks like Phil Zimmerman and company of PGP fame have already taken the idea you're talking about and run with it.

http://zfone.com/

Hmmmm....I bet this could run on an Ubuntu phone. Kind of kicking myself right now that I went with an iPhone. (Though I expect an iPhone version eventually. And Ubuntu phones are still experimental.)

jmdrake
06-10-2013, 11:07 AM
bump to coincide with the ongoing NSA scandal.

kcchiefs6465
06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm pretty sure there aren't any current legal impediments. The government used to bar the export of sophisticated encryption technology, which was pretty stupid considering the algorithms were printed in standard computer science text books, and my comp sci graduate programs are/were mostly filled with Chinese, Pakistani and other students from central and east Asia and from countries that may or may not be friendly to the U.S. at any given time. I guess the gubmint thought these top of the class students couldn't memory a simple algorithm and take it out of the country with them on the next flight home? :rolleyes: Anyway, with the growth of the internet, such export controls became ridiculous. The government still has the regulations, but they aren't enforced.

See: https://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/background/index.html

Also it looks like Phil Zimmerman and company of PGP fame have already taken the idea you're talking about and run with it.

http://zfone.com/

Hmmmm....I bet this could run on an Ubuntu phone. Kind of kicking myself right now that I went with an iPhone. (Though I expect an iPhone version eventually. And Ubuntu phones are still experimental.)
Nice!

kcchiefs6465
06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Does mega have a limit on how much you can store for their free service?

jmdrake
06-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Does mega have a limit on how much you can store for their free service?

50 gigabytes for the free service.