PDA

View Full Version : Will Jim Bunning run for president?

Warlord
06-02-2013, 10:32 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8f/Rand_Paul_%26_Jim_Bunning_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg/800px-Rand_Paul_%26_Jim_Bunning_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Credit: Gage Skidmore

Rand seems pretty confident that he is "for sure" runing for US Senate in 2016 with recent comments to reporters.

If that's the case either KY has to change its ballot access law or if Rand runs for president and wins the GOP nomination the KY GOP runs someone else on their line in the state such as Jim Bunning whose Republican electors could then vote for Rand in the electoral college should Bunning carry the state. Bunning would be perfect for this as he's a former two term Republican senator and has familiarity and ability to act as an effective surrogate while Rand campaigns out of state if he's the nominee.

There was also talk in Lexington Herald leader newspaper of a bill in the General Assembly to change the law and allow someone to appear on the ballot twice but since Democrats control everything and might have an eye on the seat these considerations might be outweighed rather than to deliver a favorite son a political favor.

Appearing on the ballot twice in Nov 2016 should Rand be the nominee either through a placeholder like Bunning or if the law was modified is not without its risks as it will open the door to a shameless political opportunist such as Attorney General Jack Conway to make a populist bid for the Senate seat framing a message like "we need a senator from Kentucky". Rand would need to rely on the goodwill of Kentucky's voters, his fame, the constant press coverage and the work of surrogates within the state to make the case that they should elect him (or Bunning) as both president and senator. I think there's a good chance he'll have this goodwill and someone like Conway would fail but you never know.

Jim Bunning 2016!

I'm amazed not many folks have picked up on this angle. Even the Kentucky press and Trey Grayson haven't mentioned it and seem to have confined themselves to debate about various dates and if he can pull out of one or the other. Rand's comments suggests he's not pulling out of any contest and he wants to appear on the November ballot for US senate thus ensuring a good chance that whatever happens he has a political future after Jan 2017. How he achieves this we will soon find out.

Adrock
06-02-2013, 10:37 AM
This was mentioned in another thread awhile back: Rand could file for the Presidential ballot in every state except Kentucky. In Kentucky he could file for Senate, that way he is only on the ballot once,

Warlord
06-02-2013, 10:44 AM
This was mentioned in another thread awhile back: Rand could file for the Presidential ballot in every state except Kentucky. In Kentucky he could file for Senate, that way he is only on the ballot once,

I think this is a good route. Merely raising it might embarrass the Democrat lawmakers in the state to change the law lest we make a mockery of it and embarrass them by running good ole' Bunning for president.

Vastroc
06-02-2013, 10:46 AM
I was under the impression that Rand and Bunning were not seeing eye to eye lately. I don't recall where/when but I could have sworn a read something about Bunning feeling deceived for his endorsement. I could be wrong though.

compromise
06-02-2013, 11:36 AM
It doesn't have to be Bunning. It could be anyone, even Kelly.

TaftFan
06-02-2013, 12:21 PM
I was under the impression that Rand and Bunning were not seeing eye to eye lately. I don't recall where/when but I could have sworn a read something about Bunning feeling deceived for his endorsement. I could be wrong though.

He didn't like Rand's foreign policy I think.

compromise
06-02-2013, 01:02 PM
He didn't like Rand's foreign policy I think.

Anyone got a source for this?

TaftFan
06-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Anyone got a source for this?

I was actually wrong. He didn't say that, but it seems implied. http://fatlip.leoweekly.com/2012/04/25/bunning-says-he-regrets-endorsing-rand-paul/

Debbie Downer
06-02-2013, 05:01 PM
It doesn't have to be Bunning. It could be anyone, even Kelly.

Massie?

Warlord
06-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Massie?

Massie will be running for congressman not president.

Bunning would be ideal if he'd agree to it. He might not but yeah anyone. There's not many GOP politicians known statewide in Kentucky.

They could put his wife on the ballot but harder to justify this is if there's a lawsuit. A judge would find that a bit egregious I think but less so if it was someone unconnected.

thoughtomator
06-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Run a housecat - in the last Senate race here, a housecat came in 3rd place. No reason you can't run Randus Paulicus the Magnificent* in his stead.

*name the cat appropriately of course to minimize voter confusion