PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Farage is charming the pants off the ladies

green73
06-02-2013, 07:36 AM
There's something about Nigel: Introducing Nigel Farage, the Ukip leader who's charming the ladies...

It was an apparent late surge by female voters that led to Ukip’s electoral success last month Melissa Kite checks out party leader Nigel Farage’s girl appeal

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/28/article-0-1A09A75A000005DC-110_634x680.jpg

Going to the pub with Nigel Farage is very therapeutic. Within seconds of our drinks arriving, I realise I am telling him my troubles as we sit beneath an umbrella at a table in the street.

He is nodding sympathetically, sipping from a pint of beer and puffing on his trademark cigarette. As I offload my frustrations, he says all the right things. Before long, we are setting the world to rights and I catch myself thinking that I must tell Nigel about that problem I had with my local police because…
Because what, exactly?

Farage has that indefinable quality that makes you believe he is interested in your problems and even that he might be able to put them right. But to be realistic, he can’t possibly put anything right, can he?

He’s the leader of a fringe party that, on the face of it, hasn’t a hope in hell of getting into power. Yet with the UK Independence Party hitting 19 per cent in the council election polls last month, people have started to sit up and take notice.

And they are now looking at its chirpy leader as someone who cannot be as easily dismissed as David Cameron would like.

Most surprising of all, given that Ukip was once a nerdish, male-dominated party, is the fact that Farage, 49, is becoming a hit with women. Indeed, it was apparently a late surge in the female vote that led to Ukip’s stellar performance in last month’s council elections.

A few weeks ago, I asked my circle of friends how they voted in the local elections and one glamorous, wealthy divorcee revealed she had voted Ukip, saying: ‘Nigel Farage is a straight talker. He isn’t surrounded by spin doctors. He’s a real man.’

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/28/article-0-1A09A720000005DC-419_306x423.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/28/article-0-1A09A734000005DC-983_306x423.jpg

Perhaps it’s the pint, the cigarette, the reassuringly macho banter. Perhaps women are tired of the touchy-feely, organic, free-range posturing of Cameron and his Notting Hill metrosexuals.

After all, Farage wouldn’t make a song and dance of telling voters he went home early for bath time.

This is the man who emerged with minor injuries from a serious plane crash while campaigning in the 2010 general election.

He wouldn’t tell us how he loves to cook lasagne, naming his favourite celebrity chef’s recipe.

But is he really becoming a sex symbol? Farage rocks with laughter. ‘Oh, I don’t…ha ha… Oh, no, you are not going to get me to answer a question like that. I very much doubt it anyway. I’m English, for God’s sake.’

And he goes on chuckling, but looking ever so slightly flattered. When he eventually calms down, he says: ‘Look, people see me as approachable. Perhaps they don’t see me as a politician. Perhaps that’s the point.’

But I have obviously planted an idea because Farage develops the sex symbol theme as he sips his pint.

‘Isn’t it funny? It’s the perception thing: how women see men and how men think women see men. Men can never work out why some women find some men interesting or attractive. “Why is he so popular with women?” they say.’

He must be pleased that he is appealing to female voters? ‘I would be a total liar if I said that sometimes, people coming up to me and being nice to me is not a good thing.’

Plenty of people are not nice to him, you see. Protesters in Edinburgh called him a ‘racist scumbag’, and as we left the MEP’s office building to go to the pub just now, an elderly lady tore a strip off him as he lit a cigarette.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/28/article-0-1A09A75E000005DC-626_306x423.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/28/article-0-1A09A751000005DC-307_306x423.jpg

‘I would prefer it if you didn’t smoke outside my window,’ she snapped, before going up to the
sixth floor, where her window was well out of reach of his tobacco vapours.

But Farage is still pondering the sex symbol comment. ‘I’m going to go all shy now,’ he says.

‘Seriously, maybe the others are a bit too polished.’ I put it to him that the others are indeed polished, and that politicians such as Cameron and Clegg make all sorts of slick claims about being good with children and cooking Sunday lunch.

He says: ‘I’m really good with nobody’s children. But I can cook, actually. I’m good at fish.’
What fish? ‘Fish that I’ve caught.’ Macho cooking, you see. His press secretary Annabelle reveals he is a dab hand at gutting sea bass. ‘He’s useless at cooking artichokes, though,’ she adds.

But who needs artichokes when you’re a man who can gut bass? Farage, a keen angler, has even written columns for Total Sea Fishing. He enjoys shooting as well. ‘It’s the hunter-gatherer thing,’ he explains, rather extraneously.

The effect of this old-fashioned chauvinism on the numbers is impressive. Female support for Ukip is now only fractionally behind male votes and the party has burgeoning numbers of female councillors, some of whom arrive at the pub later for a drink with Nigel and are really quite chic.

By contrast, while Cameron brags about doing the school run, his female vote continues to plummet.

One might postulate that women, who have keen antennae for authenticity, warm to Farage because he does not put a gloss on things. He is prepared to manfully put his foot in his mouth if the moment requires it. He described the first president of the European Council, Herman Van Rompuy, as having ‘the charisma of a damp rag’ and called Belgium ‘pretty much a non-country’.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/28/article-0-1A09A763000005DC-347_634x421.jpg

Has he consciously cultivated this maverick streak? ‘That’s just the way I am,’ he says, before adding wistfully, ‘I’m an accidental politician.’ For a moment, he looks reflective, almost troubled. ‘I had no plan to do this. It wasn’t my boyhood dream.’ He is staring into the middle distance as he slowly exhales smoke. What was his dream?

‘I had different ambitions and aspirations. I thought in my early teens I would join the army. Then Thatcher got elected. The birth of the yuppie. I thought, “I’d like to be one of those. I want to make lots of money.”’

That’s Nigel, you see. Ask him what he wanted to be and he’ll tell you that he wanted to make lots of money. Cameron would never admit that. He would come out with some guff about how he wanted to serve his country.

Farage says: ‘In my late 20s I didn’t change, the world changed. Maastricht [the 1991 agreement that gave birth to the EU], the ERM [European exchange rate mechanism, a precursor to financial union that went disastrously wrong for Britain in 1992]. These things motivated me to get involved.’

But what else drives him, personally? I ask about his wife and four children, who – unlike other party leaders’ wives and families – are never trotted out for the cameras. I offer him a chance to say what a devoted father he is, but he turns it down.

‘If I was honest with you, I’m not there enough because of the demands of this job. I have sort of failed on that score really.’ Failed? Even by Farage’s standards of straight-talking, a politician using the f-word is astounding. ‘I’ve had four children. I wouldn’t say when they were little that I was particularly brilliant. I try. I have tried. But I’m not very good.’

His German-born wife Kirsten is an elusive figure. They met when he was working in the City and she was a bond dealer. Now she’s works as his PA. She is obviously devoted, yet he refuses to put her on display.

‘I haven’t mentioned my wife because you can’t have it both ways. If you make your family public property… I have tried to make sure there isn’t a single photo of my children.’

It occurs to me that his childhood might have been less than idyllic for him to become so fiercely determined to protect his own kids.

It has been written that his stockbroker father was an alcoholic who left the family home when Nigel was five years old and that he had to help look after his toddler brother Andrew. ‘My childhood wasn’t idyllic, wasn’t perfect.

I had divorced parents. These things are never good. I want my own children to have as much stability as possible and the chance to get on with what they want to do.’

He is matter-of-fact. But the sense of unresolved unhappiness hangs in the air.

Richard North, a fellow Eurosceptic, has said of Farage: ‘He cannot work with people in a long-term relationship. He uses people, and he uses them up.’

One suspects that whatever unhappiness drives this trait also accounts for why there is something childlike about Farage.

When he talks about his hobbies his face lights up.

‘I love the big outdoors. I enjoy watching cricket. Going to Lord’s for the Ashes. I won’t sleep the night before.’

When he outlines his vision for Britain it is tinged with the same excitement and idealism:

‘There is a country out there desperate for success. You see it in the Olympics, in football. People want to belong, to be proud. And we cannot have any sense of pride or self-respect if we are not a self-governing nation. Our entire political class has given up on this country. It’s the concept of managed decline: “Let’s go down the tubes with dignity. We are no bloody good, let’s admit it.” Well, I think we are an extraordinary country. Of course we can turn it around.’

I can almost hear Elgar in the background. And no, I haven’t been drinking pint to pint with Farage. I’m on the mineral water. But does it have to be hokum? Can’t we believe in Farage’s simple, patriotic vision? He makes it sound so straightforward: ‘You can’t pussyfoot around.

You have got to get the hell out of the EU political union. You have got to have an amicable divorce and replace it with a trade deal.

‘But we have got these spineless, pathetic, weak politicians and this weak prime minister who says, “Sorry, it makes me sick to my stomach, but there is nothing I can do about it.”’

Farage, a former Tory who resigned from the party during John Major’s leadership, clearly does not have much time for David Cameron.

The most damaging insult he levels at the prime minister is an aside that comes out casually as he poses for photographs. As he reaches into his pocket for his Rothmans, he reveals something Cameron used to do when the two were between takes on TV debate shows: ‘He was always nicking my ****. He never had his own.’

Authenticity. Cameron cultivated his wholesome image while sneaking cigarettes from his adversary. Farage may be flawed. But at least he wears his vices on his sleeve.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2332184/Introducing-Nigel-Farage-Ukip-leader-whos-charming-ladies-.html

sluggo
06-02-2013, 07:38 AM
It's the pinstripes. Classy.

luctor-et-emergo
06-02-2013, 07:54 AM
He says: ‘I’m really good with nobody’s children. But I can cook, actually. I’m good at fish.’
What fish? ‘Fish that I’ve caught.’ Macho cooking, you see. His press secretary Annabelle reveals he is a dab hand at gutting sea bass. ‘He’s useless at cooking artichokes, though,’ she adds.

But who needs artichokes when you’re a man who can gut bass? Farage, a keen angler, has even written columns for Total Sea Fishing. He enjoys shooting as well. ‘It’s the hunter-gatherer thing,’ he explains, rather extraneously.

Cool, I didn't know Farage is an angler.
I should go fishing with him sometime, before the European Common Fisheries Policy has destroyed all the stocks.
No seriously, it's cool to see that a politician actually has a hobby... It's a rare thing.
But it's also quite easy to explain, sea-bass is so tasty. Dab's are only good for frying, better to catch some sole's.

Warlord
06-02-2013, 07:58 AM
‘Nigel Farage is a straight talker. He isn’t surrounded by spin doctors. He’s a real man.’

-

Careful now... those who don't like political candidates to tell it straight might be offended.

amy31416
06-02-2013, 08:28 AM
I'd spank him.

green73
06-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I'd spank him.

http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/oops-jon-stewart-300x180.jpg

compromise
06-02-2013, 08:53 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/28/article-0-1A09A763000005DC-347_634x421.jpg
I know 3 of them from Facebook, encourage you guys to add them too.
https://www.facebook.com/victoria.ayling.98
https://www.facebook.com/sanyajeet
https://www.facebook.com/alexandra.l.swann

Debbie Downer
06-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Perhaps it’s the pint, the cigarette, the reassuringly macho banter. Perhaps women are tired of the touchy-feely, organic, free-range posturing of Cameron and his Notting Hill metrosexuals.

Meanwhile the US is moving in the opposite direction. The most manly candidate in the GOP primaries, a good husband and father, a man who served his country, a gentleman whose word actually means something lost to a liberal douchebag with good hair.

Warlord
06-02-2013, 09:11 AM
The Ron Paul from the Morton Downey Jnr clip is more like Farage now. He'd have done a lot better with that posture and if he was 15 years younger in my opinion but Ron himself said he didn't like the Morton Downey appearance and admitted he played up for the cameras.

JK/SEA
06-02-2013, 09:13 AM
I'd spank him.

youtube.

compromise
06-02-2013, 09:54 AM
The most manly candidate in the GOP primaries, a good husband and father, a man who served his country,

Rick Perry? :D

gwax23
06-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Rick Perry? :D

lol.

mad cow
06-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Coz' every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

Distinguished Gentleman
06-02-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm assuming this is brought up in relation to the GOP and especially libertarians trouble with females.
Paul Ryan was supposed to be a seducer of the ladies but lacked the personality to do it. Being fairly handsome won't win female votes alone. For my money, empathy, a good backstory and people skills are better at winning female votes. While I'm not crazy about his positions, Scott Brown would be a juggernaut if he ran for president.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TR0FLfkmMbM&feature=relmfu

nobody's_hero
06-02-2013, 03:17 PM
So I'm thinking . . .

Ron Paul with a pint, and a cigarette. Someone photoshop that and let's get some ladies voting for liberty.

jtstellar
06-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Most surprising of all, given that Ukip was once a nerdish, male-dominated party, is the fact that Farage, 49, is becoming a hit with women. Indeed, it was apparently a late surge in the female vote that led to Ukip’s stellar performance in last month’s council elections.

two things to take away from this. one is that uk is much smaller than the us, a lot of people probably took to the streets, knocked on doors etc after they heard about farage on the internet, 2nd being that women tend to be bandwagon voters.

awareness of ukip's presence in the uk, even though it's a 3rd party, spread much more quickly than here in the us where it's not just the pauls, the entire us population in fact have trouble staying informed with any political event, some can't even name the vice president. we've often seen reporters go around to scout regular street pedestrians' degree of political knowledge, and the results are miserable. i remember ukip started much the same way ron paul did back in 08, since both are internet based. they also had supporters scattered all throughout england but had trouble with gathering enough votes in specific places for local victories

we're not really bandwagon voters, if that's not an understatement. most women are. they need someone personal in their life to speak about it, and they need a sense of momentum, that this is 'possible, doable, not too hard, within reach already' etc to actually get on a cause and feel slightly passionate. after 2~3 years of gradual preaching to my mother, she still habitually says things like 'well what does it all matter anyway, it is too hard, most voters won't know' even just spewing those lines on a subconscious level. when we keep rising in the polls and message begins to spread on a social level about this movement to regular people and our candidates are spoken about by other people in these women's lives who have personal connections with them, these women will then be a bandwagon group we manage to get in. it's just their nature. but the point is i think ukip is our trend forecast and we will get there eventually. this is why it's important to keep track of uk politics, it very much mirrors our own a few steps into the future

Debbie Downer
06-03-2013, 03:15 AM
I'd spank him.

I think you misread the article. It says he's 49 years old, not 19.

green73
06-03-2013, 04:48 AM
I think you misread the article. It says he's 49 years old, not 19.

Damn, he looks old for his age.

Debbie Downer
06-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Damn, he looks old for his age.

Smoking, drinking, and philandering will do that to you.

heavenlyboy34
06-03-2013, 07:59 AM
I'd spank him.
Spank me first! ;):D

Debbie Downer
06-03-2013, 08:01 AM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ewface.gif

kathy88
06-03-2013, 08:04 AM

Bet she passes on that one.

talkingpointes
06-03-2013, 08:10 AM
British politics are so harsh make American politics civil and this guy always goes full-throttle. I have never seen him censor himself, or try to sound pc. He is like Peter Schiff and Ron Paul in one. Why is it that his plan is working over there but we can't do it here. (even though we are all mostly here because of Ron)

PaulConventionWV
06-03-2013, 08:35 AM
British politics are so harsh make American politics civil and this guy always goes full-throttle. I have never seen him censor himself, or try to sound pc. He is like Peter Schiff and Ron Paul in one. Why is it that his plan is working over there but we can't do it here. (even though we are all mostly here because of Ron)

Well, his plan isn't necessarily "working" just yet. Remember, Ron has had the kind of numbers that Nigel has right now. I wouldn't necessarily say that his "plan" is working any better yet.

jllundqu
06-03-2013, 09:27 AM
There needs to be like a Nigel Farange (and Daniel Hanaan) 'best hits' youtube vid....

heavenlyboy34
06-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Bet she passes on that one.
I bet she would. She's the daring and raucous punk type. (and I mean that in a very good way :) ~hugs amy~)

Warlord
06-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Godfrey Bloom MEP doesn't hold back either.

Behold:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?416194-Godfrey-Bloom-%28UKIP%29-Fractional-reserve-banking-is-a-SCAM

The reason he speaks so frankly is because there's no political consequences. The Members of the European Parliament are elected by Proportional Representation so % of the vote = number seats you win. There's no district to worry about or those back home to please since their "home" is a carved up region where they're just one of a number of representatives.

Remember because of First Past the Post in the UK parliament (which is also used for Congress) UKIP could get 30% of the vote and win 0 seats if its spread out all over the place

green73
06-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I bet she would. She's the daring and raucous punk type. (and I mean that in a very good way :) ~hugs amy~)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/robitusson1/bth_1252938065_squirting-vomit.gif

heavenlyboy34
06-03-2013, 09:50 AM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/robitusson1/bth_1252938065_squirting-vomit.gif
lolz :D You kids these days. SMH.

jtstellar
06-03-2013, 10:03 AM

funny you would say that since on numerous occasions people here had bashed farage for his anti-EU immigration rhetorics, calling it 'not libertarian enough', and neither has he (yet) introduced any long term plan to move away from their national healthcare services.

some people really see him as rino-light here, and not just here but many other gathering places/forums where i read the comments. it almost sounds like people are really saying 'why won't you say the things i want to hear and the way i want to hear you say them, because anything else to me is you holding back your tongue/lying/compromising' while the irony is at any moment there will be two simultaneously self righteous commentator, both self-identified libertarian, thinking him/herself is on the right saying simultaneously opposite things on ideas and strategy.

both would criticize 'mainstream libertarian thoughts' but in totally opposite directions

one would argue farage is totally establishment/not for drastic enough change for us, the other would be all in on him and complain why we aren't doing it here. i really don't know if it's an intellectual issue at this point for failure of these people on self-irony detection or really just.. staying in a basement too much, or something. another funny thing is it's usually the heaviest contributor like rand paul that gets whined to by both sides. and he will be at fault for taking into account of both as well, likely getting blamed by both for compromise during the process.

gwax23
06-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Behold:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?416194-Godfrey-Bloom-%28UKIP%29-Fractional-reserve-banking-is-a-SCAM

The reason he speaks so frankly is because there's no political consequences. The Members of the European Parliament are elected by Proportional Representation so % of the vote = number seats you win. There's no district to worry about or those back home to please since their "home" is a carved up region where they're just one of a number of representatives.

Remember because of First Past the Post in the UK parliament (which is also used for Congress) UKIP could get 30% of the vote and win 0 seats if its spread out all over the place

Exactly thats one of the advantages of Proportional voting systems over first past the post.

Though even with district based systems a instant run off system would be leaps and bounds better than first past the post.

HOLLYWOOD
06-03-2013, 01:56 PM
It's the pinstripes. Classy. The RED socks and the PINT in his hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TYv2PhG89A

compromise
06-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Behold:

PR in many countries also means:
- Liberal and centrist are almost always in power
- People vote for a collective list, not an individual and so are forced to vote for both politicians they do like and politicians they don't
- Unpopular politicians at the top of their lists keep being re-elected by pandering to the party establishment and topping the lists
- Politicians care more about voting the way their party leaders want more than their constituents want
- Cartel democracy: parties begin to always cooperate instead of competing, leading to permanent coalitions, see present day Austria and pre-Berlusconi Italy
- People have no idea who their elected representatives are because they're voting for a party, not a person

If PR was in the US, sure, the Libertarian Party might have a couple of seats, but there would be no Libertarian Republicans, as Boehner & co. would just deselect them when they voted against big gov't initiatives. As our executive branch is the President and the LP would never win a presidential race, they would never be in government.

I prefer responsibility for poor voting to lie with the individual rather than the party. If I see a representative of mine who's consistently voting poorly, I want to be able to get him out. I don't want him to just suck up to the leader and ask to be moved up the list so he can stick around.

gwax23
06-03-2013, 02:51 PM
PR in many countries also means:
- Liberal and centrist are almost always in power
- People vote for a collective list, not an individual and so are forced to vote for both politicians they do like and politicians they don't
- Unpopular politicians at the top of their lists keep being re-elected by pandering to the party establishment and topping the lists
- Politicians care more about voting the way their party leaders want more than their constituents want
- Cartel democracy: parties begin to always cooperate instead of competing, leading to permanent coalitions, see present day Austria and pre-Berlusconi Italy
- People have no idea who their elected representatives are because they're voting for a party, not a person

If PR was in the US, sure, the Libertarian Party might have a couple of seats, but there would be no Libertarian Republicans, as Boehner & co. would just deselect them when they voted against big gov't initiatives. As our executive branch is the President and the LP would never win a presidential race, they would never be in government.

I prefer responsibility for poor voting to lie with the individual rather than the party. If I see a representative of mine who's consistently voting poorly, I want to be able to get him out. I don't want him to just suck up to the leader and ask to be moved up the list so he can stick around.

THis is all true. I think a mixed system with one chamber of the legislature being elected on a proportional basis and another on a Instant Run Off vote basis (representing districts) would be the best solution.

Spikender
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM
I hope he's charming them with policies and vision rather than looks or swagger.

That's what's important, really.