PDA

View Full Version : Romney 2016?

wormyguy
06-01-2013, 07:25 PM
hxxp://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324682204578515422189492536.html

More than half a year after his election loss, Mitt Romney is putting a tentative foot back onto the public stage.

Restless, a little wistful and sharply critical of President Barack Obama's second term, Mr. Romney said in an interview that he plans to re-emerge in ways that will "help shape national priorities."

As a first step, the former Republican presidential nominee plans to welcome 200 friends and supporters to a three-day summit next week that he will host at a Utah mountain resort.

Interestingly, Rand, Christie, and Ryan have been invited to the Romney confab, but Rubio has not.

DamianTV
06-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Romney is the Enemy of Liberty, just like about every other candidate that we are instructed to endorse. Those that are not endorsed however are the ones we should be considering voting for. Basically, if they say so and so is a whack job, they deserve more attention to find out whether or not they are a worty candidate. Some that arent endorsed (which is usually the endorsement for me, the opposite of what I am told) are actually total shitbombs, but each candidate needs to be considered on an individual basis.

Then we have Romney. His supporters think they are being lead by example. They think it is A-Okay to lie, cheat, and steal. They think the rules dont apply to them. They think that changing the rules to serve the Status Quo and prevent the voice of the people from being heard is the best thing to do. Many Romney supporters follow their leaders example and behave just as despicably as their Glorious Leader.

Romney needs to go play in high speed oncoming traffic in some place where people truly care about each other, like The Bronx.

sailingaway
06-01-2013, 07:40 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1863&d=13701372091863

sailingaway
06-01-2013, 07:41 PM
I suspect he's shopping for a VP.

Anti Federalist
06-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Oh god, no please, no fucking way.

TaftFan
06-01-2013, 08:03 PM
No and he isn't signaling that either; quite the opposite.

Michigan11
06-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Looks like were all going to be voting for Romney againnnnnn.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1863&d=13701372091863

kcchiefs6465
06-01-2013, 08:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7muuxlP.jpg?1

..... and then some.

angelatc
06-01-2013, 08:07 PM
I suspect he's shopping for a VP.

Why - did Bob Dole turn him down?

Anti Federalist
06-01-2013, 08:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7muuxlP.jpg?1
..... and then some.

It's...it's hell, frozen over and pigs are flying.

LOLOLOLOL

RickyJ
06-01-2013, 08:13 PM
hxxp://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324682204578515422189492536.html

Interestingly, Rand, Christie, and Ryan have been invited to the Romney confab, but Rubio has not.

Rubio is running, of that I have little doubt. I doubt Ryan will run, and Christie is not going to win a national election, so he's irrelevant. Why he invited Rand I don't know. I am thinking he either doesn't see him as a threat, or is hoping to be a VP of Rand in 2016. Romney has the money to fund a candidate, so getting his support would help a lot, but he can't be trusted, making a deal with him is like making a deal with the devil.

Michigan11
06-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Just get used to voting for Romney every 4, while hiding in your home

Sola_Fide
06-01-2013, 08:15 PM
This would be hilarious. Ugh

talkingpointes
06-01-2013, 08:24 PM
I was thinking of how funny it was the last time this happened. Romney couldn't beat Obama in ONE poll. He didn't even come to par until Ron was out. Who did they pick unanimously BEFORE, Romney.

Why do some people here just think this is all fun and these people are going to be nice? I just don't get it, they are vicious like rabid dogs. They called Ron and old man and talked to him like he was a punk kid and a crazy one at that. In the least he had the most honorable profession amongst the vipers, and their vitrol couldn't even be stilled by that.

shane77m
06-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Anyone but Obama!

Michigan11
06-01-2013, 08:29 PM
It's better than voting for McCain or Bob Dole every year as we have all been doing these years

DamianTV
06-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Why - did Bob Dole turn him down?

Why did the Mormon Church denounce any association with him as well?

DamianTV
06-01-2013, 08:42 PM
I was thinking of how funny it was the last time this happened. Romney couldn't beat Obama in ONE poll. He didn't even come to par until Ron was out. Who did they pick unanimously BEFORE, Romney.

Why do some people here just think this is all fun and these people are going to be nice? I just don't get it, they are vicious like rabid dogs. They called Ron and old man and talked to him like he was a punk kid and a crazy one at that. In the least he had the most honorable profession amongst the vipers, and their vitrol couldn't even be stilled by that.

And who was it that didnt want Ron Paul to appear at the RNC even though he was fully qualified?

James Madison
06-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Unlikely he would win the nomination a second-go-round He benefited big-time from Obama running unoppose. A Democratic primary means fewer independents and moderates, which hurts Romney and helps mainline conservatives. As much as I hate to say it, states like Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois (all of which Romney won in 2012) could swing for a candidate like Santorum.

Christian Liberty
06-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Rand should NOT make Romney VP. Rand would be assassinated within the first year. He needs to pick someone more radical than himself. Judge Napolitano would work. I don't think society would let him pick his dad. Amash or Massie would work as well. But NOT someone closer to the center than Rand.

talkingpointes
06-01-2013, 10:11 PM
And who was it that didnt want Ron Paul to appear at the RNC even though he was fully qualified?

Everyone at the RNC?

pacelli
06-01-2013, 10:12 PM
What's next, Herman Cain???

Fuck, lets get cyborg DICK cheney into the ring for good measure.

Michigan11
06-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Rand should NOT make Romney VP. Rand would be assassinated within the first year. He needs to pick someone more radical than himself. Judge Napolitano would work. I don't think society would let him pick his dad. Amash or Massie would work as well. But NOT someone closer to the center than Rand.

What you talkin bout Willis?

Christian Liberty
06-01-2013, 10:15 PM
The establishment would make sure Rand got killed if Romney was his VP. Yes, I do believe that they are that ruthless.

sailingaway
06-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Everyone at the RNC?

At LEAST half voted against the rules change that (as well as stripping grass roots of power) retroactively changed the number of states Ron needed to have put him into nomination, the six states that filed for him would have been enough to get him nominated on the floor for a speech at least, without that. You can listen to the vote yourself to see how many were against the change:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhwIRIdtnQ

Note this puts it in the framework of the grass roots power stripping, but the same vote also governed the retroactive change to the number of states needed to file to nominate a candidate from the floor.

Michigan11
The establishment would make sure Rand got killed if Romney was his VP. Yes, I do believe that they are that ruthless.

Come on man, Romney as VP where did you pull this out from?

wormyguy
Romney agreed to let Ron speak at the RNC if Ron endorsed Romney. Ron did not endorse Romney, so he wasn't allowed to speak at the RNC. If it had been the other way around, and Romney refused to endorse Ron, and wanted to give a speech at the RNC denouncing Ron's policies, would we be outraged if Ron didn't allow him to speak?

trey4sports
06-01-2013, 10:17 PM
oh cmon.

Mitt is NOT running in 2016.

For all his failings he is not stupid. He knows he had his shot and that is that.

He is trying to stay relevent in order to be in someones cabinet is my best guess.

Michigan11
06-01-2013, 10:19 PM
oh cmon.

For all his failings he is not stupid. He knows he had his shot and that is that.

He is trying to stay relevent in order to be in someones cabinet is my best guess.

I don't know, he may pull in Michigan "again?" if he is vp

Christian Liberty
06-01-2013, 10:22 PM
@Michigan- I think someone here suggested Romney was seeking the VP slot...

talkingpointes
06-01-2013, 10:23 PM
What's next, Herman Cain???

Fuck, lets get cyborg DICK cheney into the ring for good measure.

He already has the heart for it.. ha ha .....

Michigan11
06-01-2013, 10:23 PM
@Michigan- I think someone here suggested Romney was seeking the VP slot...

I like Rand, but even I would not support Rand if he had a Romney VP

sailingaway
06-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Romney agreed to let Ron speak at the RNC if Ron endorsed Romney. Ron did not endorse Romney, so he wasn't allowed to speak at the RNC. If it had been the other way around, and Romney refused to endorse Ron, and wanted to give a speech at the RNC denouncing Ron's policies, would we be outraged if Ron didn't allow him to speak?

Actually, yes. Ron would never not let him speak and you know it. If he had the votes, he'd have spoken, in fact, I bet Ron would have let all candidates speak, regardless.

Besides, Romney's speeches are terrible.

talkingpointes
06-01-2013, 10:25 PM
oh cmon.

Do you remember how unpopular he was in 08', he lost to McCain. Yet it seemed obvious to the GOP that he was the guy. They have not had the best history as of recent with picking winners.

talkingpointes
06-01-2013, 10:27 PM
At LEAST half voted against the rules change that (as well as stripping grass roots of power) retroactively changed the number of states Ron needed to have put him into nomination, the six states that filed for him would have been enough to get him nominated on the floor for a speech at least, without that. You can listen to the vote yourself to see how many were against the change:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhwIRIdtnQ

Note this puts it in the framework of the grass roots power stripping, but the same vote also governed the retroactive change to the number of states needed to file to nominate a candidate from the floor.

I meant the organization, not the gathering - pardon me. One in the same I guess when it comes to outcomes.

RDM
06-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Do you remember how unpopular he was in 08', he lost to McCain. Yet it seemed obvious to the GOP that he was the guy. They have not had the best history as of recent with picking winners.

When are you going to understand, this is not about picking winners. It is all about keeping the political lineage in power and not expose the Oligarchy.

EBounding
06-01-2013, 10:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Michigan11
06-01-2013, 10:43 PM
were learning to fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BJXwNeKsQ

wormyguy
06-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Actually, yes. Ron would never not let him speak and you know it. If he had the votes, he'd have spoken, in fact, I bet Ron would have let all candidates speak, regardless.

Besides, Romney's speeches are terrible.

Well, these sorts of counterfactuals are a bit silly, no? We don't know what Ron would have done, but I can tell you that it would have been awfully stupid to allow Romney to speak if he refused to endorse Ron or support his platform. The last candidate who allowed that to happen was Goldwater in '64 (who let Romney's dad, among others, go on stage to call him a racist extremist), and needless to say that did not work out well.

And, that wasn't what I was asking. I said that supposing the situation were reversed, and Romney weren't allowed to speak - hell, even if he did endorse Ron - would you be outraged? To quote the Mittster, I'd bet ya $10,000 you wouldn't be.

GunnyFreedom
06-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Everyone at the RNC?

Everyone but like 5, and they just cast all of Alaska out.

PatriotOne
06-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Hmmmm...maybe Mitt's looking to pull a Rove and set up a super pac to fund Repubs. Chris Christie though?

Michigan11
06-01-2013, 10:57 PM
oh yeah i'm guessing its the ford taurus were talking about, since were such rebels

WhistlinDave
06-01-2013, 11:21 PM
FUCK YOU FUCKING ROMNEY YOU FUCKING FUCKER FUCKSHIT FUCKING FUCKHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I've had a couple beers tonight. No, it doesn't change my answer any. Fuck this guy!!!!!!!!

WhistlinDave
06-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Sorry about that. I hope no one here is offended by profanity.

CPUd
06-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Results are historically poor for major-party (non-incumbent) candidates running in consecutive elections. William Jennings Bryan, Adlai Stevenson, Thomas Dewey all ran and were crushed in the electoral votes in least 2 consecutive elections.

Perhaps Mitt could run as a Democrat next time. He could be the first to lose 2 consecutive elections to 2 different major parties.

GunnyFreedom
06-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Mid-terms can very be good for the opposition party in a scandal-ridden administration.

Warlord
06-02-2013, 04:17 AM
I think he's looking to help by raising money. Mitt's rolodex is priceless. This is the benefit of Rand's "endorsement" and campaigning with him. Rand was looking well beyond 2012 for all those who freak out at such notions

CPUd
06-06-2013, 04:59 PM
On Rep. Paul Ryan, his former running mate and House Budget Committee chair: "Oh, I love Paul. I mean I will always have a very special feeling for Paul, because I think he was one of the great vice presidential nominees in history. I think he would have been a terrific vice president. I don't have any idea whether he has presidential aspirations."

On Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky: "Rand is also a very strong emerging voice in the Republican Party. Represents a different, if you will, vocal group within the party that's having a real impact.

"And with those three that happen to all be coming (Christie, Ryan and Paul), you're going to see three very different Republicans - one a governor, one a member of Congress who's a conservative, a long-term conservative; another who represents a more libertarian wing of our party. And each presenting their views about priorities. It's going to give us a chance to hear from all three and decide from - for ourselves what we think the right path will be."

On former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton: "Secretary Clinton's challenge will not just be Benghazi, but more the record of American foreign policy over the last four years, while she was secretary of state.

"We'll look at everything from North Korea to Iran to Pakistan, to Afghanistan, to Syria, to Egypt and you look across the world, and our prospects - the prospects for stability, for liberal democracy, for freedom, have retreated over the period of her administration in the Department of State.

He sounds like he's trying to stay relevant.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/06/romney-talks-christie-irs-2016

The part where he says he lost because Obama had more funds and more campaign workers makes me LOL.

LatinsforPaul
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
I welcome Romney into the 2016 Presidential race.

The more moderate Republicans in the race the more Rand will shine. ;)

emazur
06-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Romney to run again after saying he wouldn't? You can add that to his long list of flip flops:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?395506-Romney-will-not-run-again-in-2016-says-wife

The most visible member of that family — wife Ann Romney — says neither she nor her husband will seek political office again.

"Absolutely he will not run again," she told the hosts of ABC's "The View" in October when asked if a loss would mean the end of Romney's political career. "Nor will I."

06-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Romney is on record in several interviews saying he will not run for office again.

Rand is on good terms with Romney from Ron's last campaign.

Romney fundraised a metric crapton of money last time.

So Romney and Rand on good terms is a good thing.

shane77m
06-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Romney is on record in several interviews saying he will not run for office again.

Romney fundraised a metric crapton of money last time.

So Romney and Rand on good terms is a good thing.

It makes me cautious about Rand.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-06-2013, 06:15 PM

Not really. Look at it like this. Romney trusts Rand like we trust Romney.

Romney's part of the oligarchy. Rand isn't. None of these statists trust Rand to be a statist. They might want to use Rand, but they surely wouldn't trust him to not dismantle a ton of executive branch things if he had the chance.

parocks
06-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Reagan was shot by the son of a major Bush contributor, a Texas oilman.

I don't think the VP must be more extreme.

PaulC
06-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Oh god, no please, no fucking way.

Pretty much the first thought I had about this too.

compromise
06-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Romney isn't running.

He's meeting Christie, Rand and Ryan as all 3 have publicly said they are considering a 2016 presidential run. Rubio has not publicly expressed interest in such a run, and it's pretty clear Romney despises Santorum.

Remember, Romney was friendly with Ron at some point too.

When Mr. Paul’s campaign jet broke down last year in Wolfeboro, N.H., Mr. Romney’s wife, Ann, offered to let Mr. Paul, an aide and one of his granddaughters stay the night at their summer home on Lake Winnipesaukee. When Mr. Romney arrived later, he offered his jet to take them home to Texas. Mr. Paul, not wanting to impose, was grateful but declined both offers.
“I talk to Romney more than the rest on a friendly basis,” Mr. Paul said. ”I throw Romney’s name out because he’s made a bigger attempt to do it. The others are sort of just real flat.” The candidates’ spouses, Ann Romney and Carol Paul, “know each other better than any of the other wives,” Mr. Paul said. He and Mr. Romney talk “all the time” and “we’ve met all their kids.” Once he telephoned Mr. Romney just as Mr. Romney was calling him. “Sometimes I’m never sure who issued a call,” he said.

talkingpointes
06-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Not really. Look at it like this. Romney trusts Rand like we trust Romney.

Romney's part of the oligarchy. Rand isn't. None of these statists trust Rand to be a statist. They might want to use Rand, but they surely wouldn't trust him to not dismantle a ton of executive branch things if he had the chance.

They don't trust anyone to do that becuase they don't plan on doing it.

What country ever in history has turned around their economy without crashing from cutting government spending and jobs ? It's just a pipe dream. Romney in particular has a lot to gain from Obamacare.

This is what Ron Paul taught us, both parties are in this together and their enemy is us. Bottom line.

How can so many people that hate the government use the line "it's just the wrong guys in control". It's like some people haven't learned anything at all but how to acclimate and lie better. They will turn on us the second it's time to play musical chairs for power. Like always.

How many times were we told to not attack Romney during the election to be nice ? What did that get us ? Nothing, in fact at the RNC they bleeped out Ron's name -- THESE PEOPLE HATE US!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/republican-convention-ron-paul_n_1822985.html

They at many points didn't want us present.
http://www.democracynow.org/2012/8/29/chaos_on_the_convention_floor_as
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/ron-paul-delegates_n_1837955.html

This reminds me of god giving up jesus to pay for everyone's sins, but in this case it's Rand. (I'm an atheist, I just don't care really)

Deep-down I almost become physically ill because of the wanting to like Rand, but the evidence of what happens in this system is just too damning. The possibility of him also becoming suicided will go through the roof too if the best case scenario happens and he gets in power just to dismantle the beast ? Am I just fucking nuts ?

Carlybee
06-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Rick Perry is thinking about it too. Comic relief.

VIDEODROME
06-07-2013, 12:06 PM
What if Obama is the Vice Presidential pick in 2016?