PDA

View Full Version : Patient Dies After EPA Emissions Control Shuts Down Ambulance

green73
06-01-2013, 09:06 AM
WASHINGTON - The D.C. fire department is trying to determine why one of its newer diesel ambulances broke down as crews were transporting a patient in cardiac arrest.

It happened on I-295 Wednesday afternoon as Ambulance 19 was taking a shooting victim to the hospital. Then it took several minutes for a second ambulance to arrive.

The driver of Ambulance 19 is telling investigators the indicator lights on the emission control system suddenly and unexpectedly jumped from a warning to shut down in a matter of seconds, and as the engine died, she was able to pull the rig to the side of the road.

The question now is why? And can these newer rigs be trusted to be there in an emergency?

When the D.C. fire department began buying these diesel engine ambulances a few years ago, officials knew they would have to manage them with a new emission control system that would automatically shut the engine down if it wasn't allowed to what's called "regenerate.”

It was a mandate from the Environmental Protection Agency

cont
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/22462597/dc-ambulance-breaks-down-while-transporting-shooting-victim-to-hospital#axzz2Uydz9Rv1

angelatc
06-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Of course the solution will be to make government vehicles exempt from EPA regulations.

Anti Federalist
06-01-2013, 11:12 AM
And can these newer rigs be trusted to be there in an emergency

No.

I have had 3000 hp main engines shut down on me while manuvering, for something as insignificant as a minor fluctuation in coolant temperature or oil pressure.

The ever fucking computer says "shut it down", and it shuts down.

Only government could take something as reliable as a heavy diesel engine and turn into a cantankerous piece of shit.

Philhelm
06-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Of course the solution will be to make government vehicles exempt from EPA regulations.

Actually, that would be a halfway logical decision. The other logical half would be to include privately owned vehicles as well. I suspect the government will double-down on the insanity.

PaulConventionWV
06-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Ambulances are so prone to mechanical errors it's ridiculous. They rather frequently blow up for no apparent reason.

youngbuck
06-01-2013, 12:37 PM
There is not a single location where government regulation can't lead to your demise, including inside an ambulance.

AFPVet
06-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Ok... all new gassers have o2 sensors that throw a code (SES light), but they don't shut the engine down. Why should these diesels be any different? These new diesels use a catalytic-like burn cylinder that reduces emissions, but in operation, it's an emissions system component just like o2 sensors.

Shutting an engine down can be a very serious thing... the engine controls power steering and brakes which, for a large vehicle, can lead to a very dangerous situation for someone not used to handling a hydraulic system that is inop. Not to mention emergency vehicles that have to transport patients....

aGameOfThrones
06-01-2013, 01:26 PM
cont
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/22462597/dc-ambulance-breaks-down-while-transporting-shooting-victim-to-hospital#axzz2Uydz9Rv1

It could have been worst.

puppetmaster
06-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Ban guns in DC.......wait a minute

Brian4Liberty
06-01-2013, 02:18 PM
No.

I have had 3000 hp main engines shut down on me while manuvering, for something as insignificant as a minor fluctuation in coolant temperature or oil pressure.

The ever fucking computer says "shut it down", and it shuts down.

Only government could take something as reliable as a heavy diesel engine and turn into a cantankerous piece of shit.

Programmed in India, by Microsoft ;)

TruckinMike
06-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Ok... all new gassers have o2 sensors that throw a code (SES light), but they don't shut the engine down. Why should these diesels be any different? These new diesels use a catalytic-like burn cylinder that reduces emissions, but in operation, it's an emissions system component just like o2 sensors.

Shutting an engine down can be a very serious thing... the engine controls power steering and brakes which, for a large vehicle, can lead to a very dangerous situation for someone not used to handling a hydraulic system that is inop. Not to mention emergency vehicles that have to transport patients....

Or a heavy hauler loaded with an 100 ton oversize load headed down cabbage hill. These new emissions systems have been creating hell for truckers. Shutdowns in heavy traffic is an everyday occurrence. My truck is old school - No emission BS. And as a result next year I will not be able to go to California.

Anti Federalist
06-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Or a heavy hauler loaded with an 100 ton oversize load headed down cabbage hill. These new emissions systems have been creating hell for truckers. Shutdowns in heavy traffic is an everyday occurrence. My truck is old school - No emission BS. And as a result next year I will not be able to go to California.

Just curious, make, model and engine type, if you don't mind posting.

Running 3516-B series CATs right now.

AFPVet
06-01-2013, 03:21 PM

I wonder when the lawsuits on the EPA will come? If ever? This stupid crap has already killed one person... perhaps many more.