PDA

View Full Version : Ceremony: What makes this person so special?

liberty2897
05-31-2013, 11:49 PM
5 cops died in Seattle since 1994... Fuck, I count that many innocent people being killed by cops on a weekly basis. Where is THEIR Ceremony?, Where is their permanent memorial?

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021098425_policetributexml.html

On June 4, 1994, Seattle Police Detective Antonio Terry stopped his unmarked police car behind a disabled vehicle on an Interstate 5 exit. One of the occupants recognized him as a police officer and shot him, but he was able to drive to the South Precinct, where he gave a description of two suspects.

He died at a hospital three hours later.

Almost 19 years have gone by, but the time has passed quickly, his widow, Cheryl Terry, said Friday at the Seattle Police Memorial Day Remembrance at Forest Lawn Cemetery in West Seattle. Her stepdaughter and two sons, who were 13, 3 and 1 when their , are grown up. And since 1994, five other Seattle police officers have died in the line of duty.

The remembrance is held to remember the fallen officers and pay tribute to the loved ones, colleagues and friends left behind.

“It’s important to pay homage and remember our fallen officers,” Southwest Precinct Operations Lt. Pierre Davis said. “It also lets survivors know they are not alone.”

Being a survivor was a challenge, Terry told an audience of mostly law-enforcement officers. She wasn’t sure what the next step would be after her husband was killed. She was angry, but she knew she couldn’t let the anger consume her.

“A line-of-duty death is quite a big event,” Terry said. “It wasn’t something we could go through quietly.”

One suspect was convicted of first-degree murder and was sentenced to 33 years in prison in 1997. The other pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in 2008 and received a 20-year sentence.

Terry has never felt alone because the Seattle police family supported her. But whenever she hears about another fallen officer, the wound becomes fresh again, she said.

The most recent officer’s death occurred on Oct. 31, 2009, when field-training officer Timothy Brenton was ambushed as he sat in his patrol car at the corner of 29th Avenue and East Yesler Way.

“The remembrance brings it all home, that you never know what is behind the door, or at the next traffic stop,” Davis said.

The tribute is an annual event organized by the Seattle Police Department and Forest Lawn Cemetery and held in conjunction with the National Peace Officers Memorial Day and National Police Week.

Seattle police and the cemetery are in the beginning stages of building a permanent memorial for at the cemetery, said Forest Lawn general manager Hank Kerns.

At the end of her speech, Terry talked about her husband’s love of the police department and his dedication to his job. Some officers dabbed their eyes as they listened to her speak over the faint sound of their police radios.

“Antonio loved being a cop, and I would never have asked him to do anything else,” Terry said. “He would be happy knowing you all were taking care of his family.”

Paige Cornwell: 206-464-2517 or pcornwell@seattletimes.com

TruckinMike
06-01-2013, 09:08 AM
5 cops died in Seattle since 1994... Fuck, I count that many innocent people being killed by cops on a weekly basis. Where is THEIR Ceremony?, Where is their permanent memorial?

[QUOTE]What makes this person so special? Some animals are more equal than others.

LoL ... I have seen that quote being tossed around here as of late, I thought it fit quite nicely.:)