PDA

View Full Version : Julian Dawkins, Driver for PBS 'NewHour' Shot To Death by Arlington Deputy Sheriff

HOLLYWOOD
05-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Some redemption... Arlington deputy sheriff Craig Patterson has been charged with 1st Degree Murder. I wonder
if the deputy would of even been charged if Dawkins was a common serf? PBS is powerful in the Washington DC area and I'm sure that's the difference in this case.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/05/remembering-julian-dawkins.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vGnxJrLf0IU

IN MEMORIAM (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/search_results.html?cx=014981141825630489824%3Afan rtw90dkk&cof=FORID%3A9%3BNB%3A1&ie=UTF-8&q=IN%20MEMORIAM&x=0&y=0) -- May 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM EDT

Remembering Julian Dawkins

By: News Desk (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/author/news-desk/)
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/images/primary2/icons/share.gif
PBS NewsHour reflected on the life of Julian Dawkins on Friday.
http://newshour.s3.amazonaws.com:80/photos/2013/05/31/julian_edit_homepage_blog_horizontal.jpg
Family photo of Julian Dawkins

The PBS NewsHour lost one of its own on May 22 in the shooting death of Julian Dawkins, our 22-year-old shuttle driver. On Thursday, Arlington deputy sheriff Craig Patterson was arrested and charged (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/arlington-deputy-sheriff-charged-with-murder-in-alexandria-shooting-of-shuttle-driver/2013/05/31/1314bdfe-c9a0-11e2-8da7-d274bc611a47_story.html) with first degree murder.

Friends and family filled Antioch Church of Christ in Alexandria, Va., to capacity for his funeral on Friday, where NewsHour senior correspondent Gwen Ifill spoke about the impact he made. Her words from the service are below.

http://newshour.s3.amazonaws.com:80/photos/2013/05/31/julian-t_blog_main_horizontal.jpg
Friends of Julian Dawkins wear T-shirts that say "R.I.P. JuJu" and "Justice for Julian" at his funeral in Alexandria, Va., on Friday. Photo by Anne Davenport/PBS NewsHour.
My name is Gwen Ifill. I'm honored today to represent my colleagues at the PBS NewsHour.
Julian was family to you. He was to us, as well.
I wish I could capture for you the outpouring of emotion that greeted the news of his passing. There were tears, yes. But there was also regret, and anger and fond memory.
I think it's accurate to say it would have shocked even Julian what an impression his gentle presence left in our lives. One NewsHour Alum called him a "balm and a rock" for us.
I'd add, in his passing as well as in his presence.
Another former NewsHour colleague, who is now working as a reporter in New Hampshire, learned of Julian's passing and immediately sent this note:
"Julian was a good man, a kind man, a quiet, respectful man. We worked together. He had a nice car and amazing dreadlocks...we rolled the windows down and listened to music I'd never heard before. I still recall fondly those rides in his car. They made my day."
Another colleague wrote: "Tragedy indeed. But tragedy is too weak a word."
"Julian was such a sweetheart," another said. "A gentle soul who was intensely shy, but always offered a beautiful smile and warm hello whenever we met. He felt things deeply, and you could see it in his eyes."
"What can I say." another wrote, "about a person that was like a son to me?"
Everyone remembers that smile. "Julian was definitely the sunshine on a cloudy day," another colleague said.
And this: "Julian knew what was important -- family. Even with a heavy load on his shoulders, he was an optimist and looked out for those close to him, especially his brother. Sounds like we all agree that we would do anything for one more day and one more smile from Julian."
To the family: you should know that -- just like you -- his NewsHour family will not rest until we get the answers to the questions we all still have.
And even when we do, we will continue to grieve with you, pray for you, and consider you our family, too.
He was our balm and our rock.

amy31416
05-31-2013, 08:13 PM
The sheriff NEVER would have been charged if it were just some random black guy. Not a chance.

LibertyEagle
05-31-2013, 08:15 PM
Patterson is a 17-year veteran of the Arlington County department. Last week, he was placed on paid administrative leave

I wonder if he's still being paid now that he has been arrested.

phill4paul
05-31-2013, 08:16 PM
The sheriff NEVER would have been charged if it were just some random black guy. Not a chance.

Never. Never ever.

amy31416
05-31-2013, 08:31 PM
I read stuff like this all the time on here. What can we actually do about it? What can we do about the CPS abuses, the marijuana raids, the dog shootings, the public school abuses, the Gitmo prisoners?

I'm getting so fucking tired of reading about this shit and feeling powerless. I have a kid, I can't run around rioting--hell, with our laws, I probably shouldn't even complain to a politician and not be fearful.

In 2008, I could have done more. In ten years, I can take more risky actions. But dammit--arghhh. I can't do anything now except reduce the taxes I pay.

phill4paul
05-31-2013, 08:44 PM
I read stuff like this all the time on here. What can we actually do about it? What can we do about the CPS abuses, the marijuana raids, the dog shootings, the public school abuses, the Gitmo prisoners?

I'm getting so fucking tired of reading about this shit and feeling powerless. I have a kid, I can't run around rioting--hell, with our laws, I probably shouldn't even complain to a politician and not be fearful.

In 2008, I could have done more. In ten years, I can take more risky actions. But dammit--arghhh. I can't do anything now except reduce the taxes I pay.

There is that. And if enough did then the problem might solve itself. Two years income tax free myself. I will never pay one again and I will not comply with Obamacare. Most everything I buy is second hand. When they talk of hacking from the root one must consider what the root is.

HOLLYWOOD
05-31-2013, 08:52 PM
You're not alone...

I went to a dinner party this past weekend, their were two prominent retired .gov attorneys, both of them hold the same sentiment... "they(GOV) have created a system of power no one even within the system can stop now". The older attorney said, I'm glad I'm old and won't have to see the destruction of this country". I really started one hellofa conversation when I said, "The country is run by two mafioso crime families called the Democrats and Republicans and they sell us all out to the highest bidder". Dinner guests from all political ideologies recognize what is going on in DC, but don't know how to address it. Apathy and the "Lesser of Two Evils" is their deductive thinking.

belian78
05-31-2013, 08:58 PM
This is why I'm reluctantly, and slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that while deserving of the highest level of respects, this political activism we're engaged in is about 50 years too late. This country is so far gone I'm afraid that we should be just holding on until the bottom falls out, then hope there are enough of us left to pick of the pieces.

LibertyEagle
05-31-2013, 09:50 PM
This is why I'm reluctantly, and slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that while deserving of the highest level of respects, this political activism we're engaged in is about 50 years too late. This country is so far gone I'm afraid that we should be just holding on until the bottom falls out, then hope there are enough of us left to pick of the pieces.

That's the problem. It's not like we are going to be left alone to pick up the pieces. We may not be able to stop the eventual fall, but if we keep strategically moving forward, we will have people in positions where their voice may make a huge difference in the direction this country goes. If we are not in there, the only voices will be the same ones who engineered the fall and they didn't do that because they planned on leaving us alone.

jclay2
05-31-2013, 09:55 PM
0 chance that this leads to anything but a paid vacation.

Commonwealth’s Attorney Randy Sengel said Patterson briefly chased Dawkins before shooting him in a nearby yard. Patterson, a 17-year veteran of the Arlington County Sheriff’s Department, told police Dawkins had threatened him with a knife; Sengel said investigators found the knife folded up in Dawkins’ pants pocket.