PDA

View Full Version : Looking to 2016, Iowa GOP Raves About...Scott Walker

Mr.NoSmile
05-31-2013, 11:29 AM
I challenge people to not write off Walker, given his popularity in the Republican Party, but look at the contrasts that writer Byron York makes with other 2016 contenders- Paul, Rubio and Cruz are mentioned.

Byron York: Looking to 2016, Iowa GOP gets jazzed about Scott Walker of Wisconsin

When Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker visited Iowa recently to speak at a well-attended Republican dinner, only one national political reporter (NBC's Alex Moe) showed up. That just proves you don't need national press attention to make a strong start in the 2016 Republican presidential race

...And Walker did it while going through the most intense trial by fire of any politician in America in recent years. Democrats and their allies on the left threw everything they had at him. They tried to stop him in the streets, in the courts, in a recall election. He survived it all.

The senators who are potential candidates -- Paul, Rubio, perhaps Ted Cruz -- don't have anywhere near that level of accomplishment.

Here I'm not entirely sure whether this is true because I haven't looked at figures-

Walker's appearance drew more people, and raised more money for the GOP, than an earlier visit from Sen. Paul. But it attracted far less media coverage. So far, he's still mostly flying under the radar.

And here's where I disagree with Mr. York, and am tempted to email him about what he said regarding Paul's visit to Iowa-

"Other potential presidential candidates like Sen. Paul came to Iowa and whaled away on the Obama administration and Hillary Clinton," says Robinson. "That will get a standing ovation and elicit plenty of cheers, but it really does nothing to paint a vision for where they want to take the country. Walker provided Iowans a glimpse of the type of national leader he would be."

Given Paul's speech at both C-PAC and the New Hampshire GOP about how the Republican Party needs to evolve beyond the majority white people's party that alienates others, that indeed should paint a vision for where the Party should go...should the Republican Party choose to heed his word.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/byron-york-byron-york-looking-to-2016-iowa-gop-gets-jazzed-about-scott-walker-of-wisconsin/article/2530881

talkingpointes
05-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Look at figures.... Are you new to politics? The chair picks the candidate in the caucauses for now on.

Mr.NoSmile
05-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Look at figures.... Are you new to politics? The chair picks the candidate in the caucauses for now on.

Not sure what you're referring to, but when I said figures, I'm referring to money raised.

supermario21
05-31-2013, 11:40 AM
I've felt Walker would be a good VP choice. I just think it's always unfair to compare a minority Senator to a Governor with total control of the legislature when it comes to "Achievement." Of course Walker would get more done!

FSP-Rebel
05-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Not sure what you're referring to, but when I said figures, I'm referring to money raised.
Glad they brought Walker in so it would force the establishment insiders to show up and give big money to Spiker and crew. As it stands, I like Walker but whether or not he'd govern nationally like a Bush remains to be seen. Walker won't attract indies and crossover voters like Paul will so we got the better pick for the general. The dems would have their way with the likes of Walker in the general and will be able to play the poor Hillary or whomever routine and make it stick. Paul is going around standing up for liberty of every variety and all the dems will have is the demagogue scenario that people are likely to tire of. Bottom line is, if those in the republican party and the conservative base don't have slashing spending and gutting most aspects of the govt as their number one priority then nothing will get better anyways. However, they are serious about those goals then only Paul is their choice.

AJ Antimony
05-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Rand has his filibuster, Walker has his collective bargaining bill. I get the feeling Rand is 1 or 2 legislative achievements away from pulling ahead and winning the "achievements" card. But I must say I don't know too much about Walker outside of the bargaining bill.

Warlord
05-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Walker = warranty salesman who's been in office since he was 24

what is there to get excited about?

compromise
05-31-2013, 12:06 PM
I donated to him in 2012, despite not being from Wisconsin and I like him personally. His LG, Kleefisch, is pretty good too, and she was at one of Rand's events earlier this year, along with Massie.

I don't think he'll run for president in 2016 though. He'll probably want to finish his second term first.

Warlord
05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
I donated to him in 2012, despite not being from Wisconsin and I like him personally. His LG, Kleefisch, is pretty good too, and she was at one of Rand's events earlier this year, along with Massie.

I don't think he'll run for president in 2016 though. He'll probably want to finish his second term first.

If he's in Iowa he's certainly thinking about it.

compromise
05-31-2013, 12:12 PM
If he's in Iowa he's certainly thinking about it.

He probably is. I just don't think he'll make the decision in the end.

If Walker does, then Rand should focus on his own exceptional record and as you said, portray Walker as a career politician and himself as a regular small town doctor who can relate to the average American.

jkob
05-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Walker is a decisive figure and not particularly charismatic. He'll most likely be running for reelection next year which won't be a walk in the park, I really doubt he'll turn right aroud and run for president.

RonPaulMall
05-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Walker is a decisive figure and not particularly charismatic. He'll most likely be running for reelection next year which won't be a walk in the park, I really doubt he'll turn right aroud and run for president.

He's not really a credible threat Walker was a horrible student in college and never graduated (under circumstances that are still unclear). The national media would paint him as Sarah Palin without the boobs.

ObiRandKenobi
05-31-2013, 04:30 PM
But he stood up to the unions!

So did Christie...

Warlord
05-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Walker sold warranties to people who didn't need them.

Rand would clean his clock!

Working Poor
05-31-2013, 04:53 PM
it looks like the gop is going to have 9 or 10 running in 2016 so they can dilute the liberty voters again and they will put up their Bush/Cheney cartel pick again and Hilary will win by default.

ObiRandKenobi
05-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Chris Matthews is a big fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPAQyNcrnBU

Badger Paul
06-01-2013, 11:02 AM
The bottom line is Walker is the Koch's boy while Rand is his own man. That's how you campaign against Walker. I'll be happy to support Rand against the Kochtopus.

Warlord
06-01-2013, 05:16 PM
The bottom line is Walker is the Koch's boy while Rand is his own man. That's how you campaign against Walker. I'll be happy to support Rand against the Kochtopus.

Rand needs Koch's money and has already met them. He's unlikely to use them againstt anyone.