PDA

View Full Version : Man Charged, Rifle Confiscated For Firing Warning Shot For Burglar

green73
05-31-2013, 09:27 AM
MEDFORD, Ore. (CBS Seattle) — A military veteran is facing criminal charges after firing a warning shot at a suspect trying to break into his house.

KDRV-TV reports that 36-year-old Corey Thompson fired a warning shot from his AR-15 rifle at 40-year-old Jonathon Kinsella after he tried to break into Thompson’s house through the back door.

“When I’m dealt with a stressful situation, being a veteran from Iraq and the Afghanistan war, it’s natural. I just jump into combat mode. I told him I’m going to give you a warning shot,” Thompson told KDRV.

Medford authorities, who were already on the scene after receiving a disturbance call, arrested Kinsella after seeing him running out into the parking lot following the gunshot. Police, though, say Thompson was in the wrong for firing his weapon.

“There was nothing that the suspect was doing that was aggressive enough to justify the shooting,” Lt. Mike Budreau told KDRV. “In fact, the suspect was walking away.”

Thompson explains he was not shooting directly at the suspect, just at the ground.

“I can see where they’re coming from, with those kinds of ordinances and stuff. I understand, yes, I did discharge my weapon, but I was careful not to fire it at anybody’s residence,” Thompson said. “It was at the ground specifically.”

Thompson has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon and menacing and reckless endangering and had his rifle confiscated. He will get his rife back if a judge finds him not guilty of the charges.

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/05/30/military-vet-faces-charges-for-firing-warning-shot-at-suspect-trying-to-break-into-home/

phill4paul
05-31-2013, 09:34 AM
“Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.” Joe Biden, Vice-President of the United States

ClydeCoulter
05-31-2013, 09:35 AM
*shakes head*

Seraphim
05-31-2013, 09:42 AM
“There was nothing that the suspect was doing that was aggressive enough to justify the shooting,” Lt. Mike Budreau told KDRV. “In fact, the suspect was walking away.”

Excuse me Officer Doofus Fuckwad?

Breaking into someone's house is inherently violent and to say otherwise makes you unfit for duty.

Pericles
05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Got the message - a warning shot is a waste of ammunition.

jkr
05-31-2013, 09:46 AM
protecting
THEIR
MONOPOLY
on
VIOLENCE

angelatc
05-31-2013, 09:48 AM
These fuckers can kill Chihuahuas when they feel threatened, but we're not allowed to fire warning shots when our adreneline is pumping.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

Brian4Liberty
05-31-2013, 10:02 AM
protecting
THEIR
MONOPOLY
on
VIOLENCE

Yep. And in any other circumstance, the Police unloading a clip into someone is always justified.

cajuncocoa
05-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Lunacy.

Dr.3D
05-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Perhaps he should have just shot the perpetrator.

Anti Federalist
05-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Was jsut discussing this in another thread, about how a "warning shot" will land you in prison.