PDA

View Full Version : Operation Chip In

someguy200
11-26-2007, 04:59 AM
I think a great way to send a message to the other members of congress to stop spending our money on unconstitutional expenses without our consent would be to setup chip-ins so people could voluntarily donate for those medals they give out. Just like Ron Paul did with the Rosa Parks medal and the others, he could first give the other members of congress the opportunity to do the right thing and pay for the medal out of their own pockets if they want to give it, and if they don't offer up the cash to match their vote let the public shaming begin by having ordinary citizens that have a lot less money than congressmen voluntarily give their money for it. I'm betting some of the other members of congress just didn't offer up any money because it would take most of them donating to reach the amount needed and they were just skeptical it would happen. This plan would allow those members to still "chip in" if they wanted with a better chance that their donations would be matched enough to reach the goal, and it would put pressure on the other members to either put up some cash or vote no for the medals. I think this plan could be carried out with or without the full consent of congress by Dr. Paul just mentioning next time that regular citizens have pledged enough money to pay for the whole medal, but still give the other members a chance to not look like cheap bastards and pay for it themselves. If they decide not to pay for it themselves I don't see how they could turn down the pledged money for it, because that would leave them more money in the budget to waste on other projects. To me it seems like a relatively cheap way to pressure the other members of congress to step up and do the right thing, or end up looking really bad.:cool: