PDA

View Full Version : Giuliani was a draft dodger!

noztnac
11-26-2007, 02:54 AM
I called Giuliani a draft dodger in another post and was surprised that a fellow Ron Paul supporter took me to task for being inaccurate.

I think we need to all be on the same page with regard to this issue.

"Draft dodger" is not a legal term. It is simply a statement of fact that an individual knowingly did things to avoid having to serve in the military during a time that there was a draft in place.

Rudy Giuliani got four deferments. I think it's pretty clear that Giuliani was avoiding being drafted. Read this:

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/30661/

Rudy and ’Nam
He’s no war hero. Will it matter?

Add a Comment
By Geoffrey Gray Published Apr 15, 2007

(Photo: Mitchell Levy/Globe Photos; Sandy King/Getty Images)
Rudy Giuliani, speaking about terrorism and the Iraq war, said last week, “It is something I understand better than anyone else running for president.” How long will John McCain—a real-life war hero down seventeen points in the polls—stand for such bluster, considering the lengths Giuliani went to to stay out of Vietnam?

MORE ON DAILY INTEL:
• Readers Respond
• Geoffrey Gray Responds
He won’t mention Rudy’s military history—yet. It’s too early in the primary cycle to go negative. But opponents know this is the warrior-mayor’s biggest weakness. “If Giuliani is the nominee, we’re going to hammer him with ads, and it’s going to be easy because the issue is simple: He’s a draft dodger,” says Jon Soltz, an Iraq vet who served as a captain and runs VoteVets.org, a left-leaning version of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. “Giuliani gets a zero-zero,” says General Wesley Clark, an adviser to the group. “He wasn’t willing to risk his life for his country, and he has no relevant experience that’s in any way useful to be commander-in-chief. He hosted the U.N. and had a large police force.”

To recap: After receiving several deferments as a student, Giuliani applied for an occupational deferment as a law clerk, but his application was rejected. Giuliani appealed their decision, and asked the federal judge he was clerking for to petition the draft board for him. Which the judge did. When his deferment expired in 1970, Giuliani became susceptible to the draft. He received a high number and was never called. Giuliani “has made it clear that if he had been called up, he would have served,” says Katie Levinson, Giuliani’s spokesperson. He was opposed to the war in Vietnam on “strategic and tactical” grounds, she says. Asked to clarify what tactics Giuliani opposed, Levinson declined to offer specifics. “Voters will choose the next commander-in-chief based on their whole record, and we believe the mayor’s record speaks for itself.”

reaver
11-26-2007, 03:59 AM
Didn't he prosecute people that did that kind of thing.

cindy25
11-26-2007, 09:02 PM
can't fault Rudy on this. he used legal loopholes to evade an immoral draft. same as using loopholes to pay less taxes.

plenty of other things to use against Rudy

klamath
11-26-2007, 09:16 PM
can't fault Rudy on this. he used legal loopholes to evade an immoral draft. same as using loopholes to pay less taxes.

Why are people so opposed to holding Rudy accountable for his hypocrasy. he got out of serving his country right or wrong when he was asked and needed on the front. Now since he is safe he can quite happily send our young men and women into combat. My son served his enlistment and his tour in Iraq and may get recalled to serve another tour like his recalled comrades are having to do. It is just like someone not paying taxes, voting to rase taxes, as long he won't have to pay any.

sharedvoice
11-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Rudy is a douchebag , he'd rather send others to go fight while he tries on new lipstick and powders his nose. Just like Boy George.

noztnac
11-27-2007, 04:33 AM

Because Rudy Giuliani did not go someone else had to. It's quite possible that person lost his life.

You might not be able to fault Rudy on this. I do! It was dishonest and cowardly. And the fact that he took a position prosecuting draft dodgers is the height of hypocrisy.

Don't compare sending someone else to die for your cowardice to tax evasion.

And for the record, I also would not vote for anyone who cheated on his taxes.