PDA

View Full Version : The Myth of illegal guns

aGameOfThrones
05-27-2013, 12:39 AM
There is a prolific myth in the United States which asserts that illegal firearms are easily obtainable. Bolstered by pro-gun lobbyists like the NRA, we are led to believe that, in most cities in America, there is a shady character on a particular street corner who will sell a gun to anybody, no questions asked, and because of this, there is no reason to eliminate loopholes allowing legal sales of firearms to, well, shady characters.

I’m a convicted felon who lives in the Bronx. Despite the nonviolent nature of my crimes—my convictions range from counterfeiting to felony-shoplifting to possession of narcotics and drug paraphernalia—I cannot legally purchase a firearm. But given my somewhat shady past (not to mention the Bronx being the Bronx) I’m fairly certain that I could find a shady character close to home who will sell me a gun illegally—with three caveats: I’d risk being sent back to prison if caught, I would be putting my life in danger, and the price of weapons bought in such deals can be in excess of five times their retail cost. To put this in perspective, the assault weapon that Adam Lanza used to murder 20 children and six adults in Newtown, Connecticut, last December, which has a retail value of between $1,000 and $2,000, could cost between five and ten grand on the streets.

My point is that purchasing firearms illegally should be an ordeal, and that effective background checks would be the first step in making it so. But what’s also pertinent is that Lanza was not a shady character with a long criminal history, and so would have had no experience moving in illicit circles. Background checks may have forced him to do so—to risk being arrested, robbed, or even killed in some dark alley for the substantial sum he’d have needed in order to buy a gun illegally.

There is, of course, a legitimate argument that background checks would not have prevented the Newtown massacre. This is likely true, but it’s also equally true that Lanza would have been denied easy access to legal firearms if his mother, the purchaser and owner of the assault weapons he used (and the first one to be murdered by Lanza) had utilized trigger locks and/or a gun safe—prudent safety features that any good NRA member would wholeheartedly advocate.

But let’s suppose for a minute that she did, and that Lanza, after failing a background check, would have had to purchase his weapons from some inner-city shady character. Can any level-headed American honestly picture Adam Lanza, the spineless murderer of children, gaining the confidence of hardened, street-level arms dealers?

And let’s not stop there. What if Jared Loughner or James Holmes had to go out into the streets and risk their lives in order to obtain their weapons? Loughner killed six and injured 14 in Tucson, Arizona, in January of 2011, and Holmes is responsible for murdering 12 and wounding 58 in Aurora, Colorado in July of last year. It would have been an ordeal for them to buy illegal weapons simply because, like Lanza, they were not immersed in lawlessness.

heavenlyboy34
05-27-2013, 12:42 AM
I'm cynical. FPSRussia/FPSKyle seems to have no trouble getting hold of all manner of hardware.

Natural Citizen
05-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Was just reading a paper that verifies the existence of printed bullets. :rolleyes:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/22/article-2329105-19F050B8000005DC-718_634x346.jpg

aGameOfThrones
05-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Link: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/26/adam-lanza-never-would-have-been-able-to-get-his-hands-on-an-illegal-firearm.print.html

Tried to edit my post, but it won't let me.

compromise
05-27-2013, 02:11 AM
I'm cynical. FPSRussia/FPSKyle seems to have no trouble getting hold of all manner of hardware.

His guns are legal. If you fill out the right paperwork, you can get almost anything.

DamianTV
05-27-2013, 04:00 AM
His guns are legal. If you fill out the right paperwork, you can get almost anything.

The only guns the Govt deems to be Illegal are the ones that can be used to control the Govt.

Flugel89
05-27-2013, 05:26 AM
The problem with this argument is that Lanza would not have had a problem passing a background check, nor would Loughner or Holmes. This article had me exclaiming "WTF?" from the beginning.

The disconnect between saying "he wasn't a shady individual with a criminal past" and "after failing a background check he'd be pressed to find an illegal firearm" makes my head spin.

Henry Rogue
05-27-2013, 07:14 AM
The problem with this argument is that Lanza would not have had a problem passing a background check, nor would Loughner or Holmes. This article had me exclaiming "WTF?" from the beginning.

The disconnect between saying "he wasn't a shady individual with a criminal past" and "after failing a background check he'd be pressed to find an illegal firearm" makes my head spin.
You hit the nail on the head. +rep.

The Bavarian
05-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Five to ten times higher than retail?

Keep dreaming.

pcosmar
05-27-2013, 07:34 AM
That article is full of Myth.

Henry Rogue
05-27-2013, 07:38 AM
My point is that purchasing firearms illegally should be an ordeal, and that effective background checks would be the first step in making it so.
Wait, author wants background checks on illegal firearm purchases? This article is laughable.

aGameOfThrones
05-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Wait, author wants background checks on illegal firearm purchases? This article is laughable.

It's only laughable if you hate children.