PDA

View Full Version : Remember Patricia Cook, killed by a Culpeper VA cop?

Anti Federalist
05-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Culpeper Cop Who Shot and Killed Patricia Cook Sentenced to Three Years in Prison

May. 3, 2013 2:21 pm

http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/03/culpeper-cop-who-shot-and-killed-patrici

CBS 19Daniel Harmon-Wright, the police officer in Culpeper, Virginia, who shot and killed former Sunday school teacher Patricia Cook in February 2012, has been sentenced to three years in prison. This is what the jury recommended upon convicting Harmon-Wright of manslaughter three months ago. According to WJLA, the Cook family will proceed with its lawsuit against Harmon-Wright.

Here's a brief recap of the damage done to Cook by Harmon-Wright:

The first two rounds, fired at point-blank range, tore into Cook’s face and arm. Another round, fired as Cook was driving away from the shooter, entered her brain. A fourth round severed her spine and veered into her heart, killing her. A telephone pole brought her Jeep Wrangler to a halt.

The Cook FamilyAnd here's how Harmon-Wright's report about the incident contrasted with an eyewitness account:

[Harmon-Wright claimed] that he was responding to reports of a suspicious woman sitting in her vehicle on the school’s property, and that when he went to take Cook’s license, she rolled up his arm in her Jeep’s window and drove off, dragging the officer and forcing him to shoot.

Kris Buchele, a carpenter who was working near Epiphany on Feb. 9, told WUSA9 the week of the shooting that "[Harmon-Wright] was not dragged and that he shot [Cook] before she drove away"; that "he didn't have his arm caught because the officer's left hand was on the door handle and right hand was holding a weapon"; that "he distinctly saw her roll up the window all the way before the officer shot out the glass and killed her."

As I've written before, this could've been avoided if Harmon-Wright had been properly screened for the job:

Soon after Harmon-Wright was arrested, it was revealed that he had a tarnished military record, a drinking problem, and a history of harassing Culpeper residents. The first two problems nearly kept him from getting the job, and no one at the Culpeper Police Department will say why they didn't.

I'm not a big fan of locking people in cages, but I find it appalling that Daniel Harmon-Wright is going to do three years for murder while Cook got the death penalty for trying to avoid a confrontation.

kcchiefs6465
05-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Not another one....

Anti Federalist
05-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Not another one....

Somebody mentioned it in another thread and it occured to me that sentencing would be sometime in May...

aGameOfThrones
05-25-2013, 10:47 PM
The privileged sentence.

kcchiefs6465
05-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Somebody mentioned it in another thread and it occured to me that sentencing would be sometime in May...
Some things I shouldn't click on.

Sigh.

With how many cases yearly there are, I remember this one clearly. Some muddy together, but a Sunday school teacher being murdered is something that is hard to forget. I suppose that is why he got the three years.....

phill4paul
05-26-2013, 09:45 AM
SMFH. Just-Us.

AGRP
05-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Officer safety. Why is he doing 3 years for protecting himself and others? She could have killed someone by storming off in her jeep like that.

SeanTX
05-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Officer safety. Why is he doing 3 years for protecting himself and others? She could have killed someone by storming off in her jeep like that.

That was the cop's excuse, supposedly she had one of those windshield visors up obstructing her view, so in the interests of public safety he had to shoot her. That was after the "my arm was caught in the window" excuse didn't work.

AGRP
05-26-2013, 10:03 AM
That was the cop's excuse, supposedly she had one of those windshield visors up obstructing her view, so in the interests of public safety he had to shoot her. That was after the "my arm was caught in the window" excuse didn't work.

I don't understand. The community should demand the officers release and award him with a medal of honor. He's a first responder. We'll probably all die without heroes like him.

HOLLYWOOD
05-26-2013, 10:12 AM
This is what the jury recommended upon convicting Harmon-Wright of manslaughter three months ago.:rolleyes:

It's at least 2nd degree murder, not manslaughter. What is with these dumbass sheeple that continue to fuck themselves, yet let government terrorize to death?

FOOLS blew it when they had the chance to "SET THE EXAMPLE" that 'terrorizing government' won't ever be tolerated by the taxpayers in this country.

Meanwhile insider trading gets 13-30 years in prison and recently read a book salesman given almost 3 years for $200 check fraud...

'These United States of Idiocracy'

Philhelm
05-26-2013, 10:18 AM
:rolleyes:

It was at least 2 degree murder, not manslaughter. What is with these dumbass sheeple that continue to fuck themselves, yet let government terrorize to death.

FOOLS blew it when they had the chance to "SET THE EXAMPLE" terrorizing government won't ever be tolerated in this country.

Meanwhile insiding trading gets 13 years in prison and recently read a book salesman given almost 3 years for $200 check fraud... these United States of Idocracy

I strongly believe that you, me, or most of the people that frequent this forum would never get anywhere near to being a juror in a case like this. The attorneys get to screen the jury after all.

tod evans
05-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Especially with rounds severing her spinal cord...

This poor persecuted officer should have gotten a medal for protecting the public from a crippled Sunday school teacher..:mad:

3 years for murder in cold blood....

manny229
05-26-2013, 10:51 AM
They'll wait until the public forgets... and within a year maybe two he'll be quietly released on "good behavior" or some such excuse. He won't do 3 years.

thoughtomator
05-26-2013, 11:21 AM
There was some homeless guy in CA who got like 15 years for stealing a candy bar under "three strikes" laws there.

thoughtomator
05-26-2013, 11:22 AM
They'll wait until the public forgets... and within a year maybe two he'll be quietly released on "good behavior" or some such excuse. He won't do 3 years.

I intend to make an issue of this in the state GOP - we'll see if this goes away so quietly. Not if I have anything to say about it.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-26-2013, 11:29 AM
:rolleyes:

It was at least 2 degree murder, not manslaughter. What is with these dumbass sheeple that continue to fuck themselves, yet let government terrorize to death.

It's the wave of the future, apparently. :rolleyes:

CCTelander
05-26-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm surprised the coroner didn't rule her death the result of a tragic traffic accident. She did hit a pole, after all.

Cleaner44
05-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Cops gets 3 years for murdering a citizen... Wesley Snipes get 3 years for three misdemeanor counts of failing to file federal income tax returns... all is well in Amerika.