PDA

View Full Version : Texas: Drug Tests Only For Unemployment Benefits, Not Welfare Recipients

FrankRep
05-25-2013, 08:53 PM
I'd rather have Drug Tests for Welfare Recipients.

Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved (http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Drug-tests-for-unemployment-benefits-approved-208955991.html)

KHOU/AP
May 25, 2013

Workers who lose their jobs would have to clear a drug screening to qualify for unemployment compensation under a proposal approved by the Texas Legislature.

Under current law, employers take out insurance policies to help laid-off workers survive on weekly payments of $62 to $440. Those who are fired for cause, including failing an employer-sponsored drug test, do not qualify.

The changes approved Saturday would require laid-off workers to fill out state questionnaires. Answers considered suspicious would lead to drug tests. Workers who fail would lose their benefits.

Republican Sen. Tommy Williams said the program will help maintain a competent workforce.

Democrats have blocked a separate measure that would have required drug testing for welfare recipients. But the bill targeting unemployed workers will now go to the governor.

Feeding the Abscess
05-25-2013, 09:05 PM
I'd rather the government have no drug tests at all. It's none of their god damned business what I put in my body.

Oh, and while they're at it, instead of more intervention, just stop intervention.

FrankRep
05-25-2013, 09:16 PM
I'd rather the government have no drug tests at all. It's none of their god damned business what I put in my body.

If you're on Welfare, spending your time and money on drugs may not be the best idea.

Anti Federalist
05-25-2013, 09:18 PM
One more chain in The Matrix.

schiffheadbaby
05-25-2013, 09:20 PM
If you're on Welfare, spending your time and money on drugs may not be the best idea.

bro we don't need to drug test for unemployment or welfare. We need to end these programs altogether

Christian Liberty
05-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Welfare shouldn't exist. But if they're going to forcibly take money from us to fund it, I see no good reason they should additionally take even more for the drug screenings...

Feeding the Abscess
05-25-2013, 09:21 PM

We've already been expropriated for welfare; why expropriate us again for authoritarian non-solutions?

FrankRep
05-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Welfare shouldn't exist. But if they're going to forcibly take money from us to fund it, I see no good reason they should additionally take even more for the drug screenings...

Okay, good luck repealing welfare benefits.

Christian Liberty
05-25-2013, 09:29 PM
No, it won't happen, but I don't see how the drug test even mitigates the problem. It just increases cost.

paulbot24
05-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Did they learn nothing from the expensive fiasco this became in Florida? Here (http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20130326-editorial-no-drug-tests-for-welfare-texas-should-heed-floridas-lesson.ece) is a link to a Dallas editorial about it.