PDA

View Full Version : Ore. Teen Accused of Planning to Attack School

tangent4ronpaul
05-25-2013, 08:03 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ore-teen-accused-planning-attack-school-19258513

An Oregon high school student is being charged with attempted murder after the authorities say he planned to attack his high school with bombs.

The student, 17-year-old Grant Acord, was taken to a juvenile jail Thursday night after police received a tip that the youth was making a bomb to blow up West Albany High School.

Benton County District Attorney John Haroldson said late Saturday that authorities found six bombs in a secret compartment in the boy's bedroom.

Haroldson said Acord had written plans and checklists, and his intent was "forged and inspired by the model of the Columbine shootings."

Haroldson said the teen is being charged as an adult.

Police found no bombs during a search of West Albany High, which about 75 miles south of Portland.

-t

AngryCanadian
05-25-2013, 08:08 PM
I blame our Media and Society for this type of behavioral issues in our youth today they are always turning to change kids how they are and who should they be, i am also getting tired of the ADs that we see.

tod evans
05-25-2013, 08:15 PM
I don't blame media or society, it's the kid who screwed up..

Another prosecutor to add to my list though, this is a screwed up kid not an adult!

As a 17 y/o we used dynamite to set corner posts, and 1/4 sticks to blow up neighbors mail-boxes...

I think its normal for kids to want to play with things that go bang and it's their parents responsibility to teach them morality and safety..

FrankRep
05-25-2013, 09:00 PM
I blame our Media and Society for this type of behavioral issues in our youth today they are always turning to change kids how they are and who should they be, i am also getting tired of the ADs that we see.
What ever happened to self-responsibility?

LibertyEagle
05-25-2013, 09:08 PM

Another prosecutor to add to my list though, this is a screwed up kid not an adult!

As a 17 y/o we used dynamite to set corner posts, and 1/4 sticks to blow up neighbors mail-boxes...

I think its normal for kids to want to play with things that go bang and it's their parents responsibility to teach them morality and safety..

Well, the media did used to know it was best not to give ad nauseum coverage to things like Columbine, because what it does is create copycats.

Christian Liberty
05-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Well, the media did used to know it was best not to give ad nauseum coverage to things like Columbine, because what it does is create copycats.

While that's completely true, we're still responsible for our own actions.

Cutlerzzz
05-25-2013, 11:08 PM

Yeah, because a 17 year old attempting mass murder deserves more sympathy than an 18 year old attempting mass murder. :rolleyes:

better-dead-than-fed
05-25-2013, 11:09 PM
The media's job is to report, not to be anti-murder, pro-murder, or any other agenda.

bolil
05-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Damn, another young life curtailed and for nothing.

Monkey see, monkey do.

IOW: Boy sees his government blow up innocents, boy thinks it is okay to blow up innocents... but yes, lets blame angry music... shall we? Also, lets blame dark and scary objects. Oh, and the internet where this boy learned how to build such devices. He should have waited a year, enlisted, and he could have won medals and been paid for similar behavior.

kcchiefs6465
05-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Damn, another young life curtailed and for nothing.

Monkey see, monkey do.

IOW: Boy sees his government blow up innocents, boy thinks it is okay to blow up innocents... but yes, lets blame angry music... shall we? Also, lets blame dark and scary objects. Oh, and the internet where this boy learned how to build such devices. He should have waited a year, enlisted, and he could have won medals and been paid for similar behavior.
Mass immorality and all that.

I'd bet a pill or two on psychotropic drugs.

A couple bullies, who knows?

Won't ever be a 'productive member of society,' I'll tell you that with certainty. (even with the cliche that it is, lately)

I'd rep ya if I could.

tangent4ronpaul
05-26-2013, 12:22 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/26/oregon-teen-planned-to-blow-up-his-school-in-columbine-style-attack-authorities/?test=latestnews

He said Acord had written plans, a checklist and a specific timeline for the attack. The bombs investigators found included pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails, a Drano bomb and a napalm bomb, Haroldson said.

Police found no bombs during a search of the high school.

Haroldson declined to provide the specific date Acord allegedly planned to attack the school, but said it would be included in court paperwork to be filed after the Memorial Day weekend.
The district attorney said it did not appear the teen was targeting a specific person or group of people. He said Acord will likely be arraigned Tuesday in Benton County Circuit Court in Corvallis.

-t

tod evans
05-26-2013, 04:04 AM
Yeah, because a 17 year old attempting mass murder deserves more sympathy than an 18 year old attempting mass murder. :rolleyes:

What makes more sense an arbitrary age of consent [18] or permitting government employees the latitude of determining culpability based on political winds?

[edit]

In the "Newz" report I wasn't able to determine exactly how this kid attempted anything let alone murder...

Right now I've got gas for my lawnmower, cutting torches with "G" cylinders, several 5-gal propane tanks, drain cleaner under the counter etc....

Given spiteful cops and cooperative "Newz" this benign storage of flammables combined with my participation right here on RPF seems like I too could quite easily be painted as a terrorist..:eek:

It's to the point I believe NOTHING reported in the Newz unless it's accompanied by video of the accused confessing and even then I question legitimacy...

Philhelm
05-26-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm curious as to what the bombs were, or if they were really bombs in the sense of what image the term invokes.

tangent4ronpaul
05-26-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm curious as to what the bombs were, or if they were really bombs in the sense of what image the term invokes.

It's in the first paragraph of post 11:

"The bombs investigators found included pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails, a Drano bomb and a napalm bomb" - 6 total, 2/2/1/1

-t

tod evans
05-26-2013, 10:49 AM
It's in the first paragraph of post 11:

"The bombs investigators found included pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails, a Drano bomb and a napalm bomb" - 6 total, 2/2/1/1

-t

Napalm/Molotov are most likely nothing more than mason jars with flammable liquid....

I'm also betting the kid had some pipe and end caps unassembled that the government is calling a "bomb"..

I just do not believe anything that comes out of a prosecutors mouth...

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-26-2013, 11:13 AM
In the "Newz" report I wasn't able to determine exactly how this kid attempted anything let alone murder...

I was about to bring that up, myself. Sounds thought-crime-ish.

Cutlerzzz
05-26-2013, 11:54 AM
What makes more sense an arbitrary age of consent [18] or permitting government employees the latitude of determining culpability based on political winds?

Not having an arbitrary age, and allowing prosecutors to play it by ears.

Right now I've got gas for my lawnmower, cutting torches with "G" cylinders, several 5-gal propane tanks, drain cleaner under the counter etc....

Given spiteful cops and cooperative "Newz" this benign storage of flammables combined with my participation right here on RPF seems like I too could quite easily be painted as a terrorist..:eek:

Having the tools to create a bomb is not the same as creating six, writing down plans and checklists for them, and apparently telling people.

It's to the point I believe NOTHING reported in the Newz unless it's accompanied by video of the accused confessing and even then I question legitimacy...

Of course not. You have no logical defense of your original post and so now you're saying that for all we know none of any of this is true.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Having the tools to create a bomb is not the same as creating six, writing down plans and checklists for them, and apparently telling people.

It's still not an attempted murder, any more than owning a gun is. Maybe this kid owned "prohibited" items or had ill intent... maybe even call it threats since he was telling people, but I still don't see how it's an attempted murder. I'm not really defending this kid, but possessing something and yapping to people doesn't equate to attempted murder.

Cutlerzzz
05-26-2013, 12:05 PM
It's still not an attempted murder, any more than owning a gun is. Maybe this kid owned "prohibited" items or had ill intent... maybe even call it threats since he was telling people, but I still don't see how it's an attempted murder. I'm not really defending this kid, but possessing something and yapping to people doesn't equate to attempted murder.

Yes it is, and that's why he's been charged with Attempted Aggravated Murder. The gun analogy only works if he has targets drawn up on where he's going to shoot up the school on top of telling people. And of course, making bombs is far more suspicious than owning a gun.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Yes it is, and that's why he's been charged with Attempted Aggravated Murder. The gun analogy only works if he has targets drawn up on where he's going to shoot up the school on top of telling people. And of course, making bombs is far more suspicious than owning a gun.

Then where is the murder attempt? I'm not completely familiar with this case, but you haven't articulated where and how the murder attempt happened.

Cutlerzzz
05-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Then where is the murder attempt? I'm not completely familiar with this case, but you haven't articulated where and how the murder attempt happened.

You need to look up the definition of attempted aggravated murder.

tod evans
05-26-2013, 12:25 PM

This begins the logic fail, prosecutors are even more of a problem to individual liberty and personal freedom than the cops they support.

If you doubt my statement march your happy ass down to your local court and read the charges filed then speak to the accused, I can guarantee that there will be major discrepancies!

And you know this how?

Because the prosecutor and cops said so...............Got it.

Of course not. You have no logical defense of your original post and so now you're saying that for all we know none of any of this is true.

For all I know this whole story was created for political gain, do you have proof that it wasn't? Oh yeah, the prosecutors press release..:rolleyes:

Cutlerzzz
05-26-2013, 12:38 PM
This begins the logic fail, prosecutors are even more of a problem to individual liberty and personal freedom than the cops they support.
:

Every society needs prosecutors.

All of this of course fails to mention your support for arbitrary government law on 18 year olds being adults and 17 year olds being kids.

If you doubt my statement march your happy ass down to your local court and read the charges filed then speak to the accused, I can guarantee that there will be major discrepancies!
:

The accused and the prosecutor disagree? There is a shocker.

And you know this how?

Because the prosecutor and cops said so...............Got it

For all I know this whole story was created for political gain, do you have proof that it wasn't? Oh yeah, the prosecutors press release..:rolleyes:

This is just embarrassing. You can't support any of your claims and resort to the appeal to ignorance.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-26-2013, 12:41 PM
You need to look up the definition of attempted aggravated murder.

Ummm, no thanks. Looking it up might put me on the fast track to being charged with it.

tod evans
05-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Every society needs prosecutors.

All of this of course fails to mention your support for arbitrary government law on 18 year olds being adults and 17 year olds being kids.
The accused and the prosecutor disagree? There is a shocker.
This is just embarrassing. You can't support any of your claims and resort to the appeal to ignorance.

First off I do NOT support giving an agent of the government the authority to arbitrarily charge people under 18 as adults, the discussion of age of consent is a different matter for another discussion.

Prosecutors embellish in order to force pleas, try getting out as I suggested and you might learn the extent.

Sorry for embarrassing you. I am ignorant of actual facts, if you sir possess verified information please educate me.

Now if you'd like to promote such things as acceptance of the status quo in our legal system which your posts imply, I can argue with the voice of personal experience against it, voicing some misguided sense of loyalty to cops or prosecutors grates my sense of justice..

Cutlerzzz
05-26-2013, 01:15 PM
First off I do NOT support giving an agent of the government the authority to arbitrarily charge people under 18 as adults, the discussion of age of consent is a different matter for another discussion.

Instead, you support the government establishing an arbitrary age that defines adulthood, and sticking to it in all cases.

Sorry for embarrassing you. I am ignorant of actual facts, if you sir possess verified information please educate me.

Again, the appeal to ignorance which is just embarrassing. To be consistent, you don't know if anything you have ever learned about history, economics, the media, or Ron Paul is true, outside the extremely limited amount you have seen on YouTube which could easily be doctored. In reality, nobody knows anything, and arguing or discussing anything is pointless.

On a board with as much blatant anti intellectualism as this, you can probably get away with it.

Now if you'd like to promote such things as acceptance of the status quo in our legal system which your posts imply, I can argue with the voice of personal experience against it, voicing some misguided sense of loyalty to cops or prosecutors grates my sense of justice..

I'm an anarchist who wants to abolish the legal system as it is. As a voluntarist, I hate bad arguments against the government. The Appeal To Ignorance and Anecdotal Evidence are terrible ways to argue or form opinions.

This entire argument is about how you don't like how a 17 year old is being charged as an adult, because you blindly respect the government's decree that 18 year olds are adults. There isn't a damn thing you can say or deny that will change that.

tod evans
05-26-2013, 01:28 PM
[edit]

I'm probably foolish for even engaging but what the hell.....

Instead, you support the government establishing an arbitrary age that defines adulthood, and sticking to it in all cases.

Actually I have stated quite clearly that I am against prosecuting attorneys having the authority to arbitrarily charge people as adults whenever they choose. I have refused to engage in discussion about the age of consent and whether or not it is appropriate or even a good idea, right now there is an age of consent unless some prosecutor doesn't like it.

Again, the appeal to ignorance which is just embarrassing. To be consistent, you don't know if anything you have ever learned about history, economics, the media, or Ron Paul is true, outside the extremely limited amount you have seen on YouTube which could easily be doctored. In reality, nobody knows anything, and arguing or discussing anything is pointless.

On a board with as much blatant anti intellectualism as this, you can probably get away with it.

There is no "appeal to ignorance", I do not believe that the prosecutor in this case has been honest and forthcoming with the facts, I believe that he has embellished and twisted them to suit an agenda. I clearly stated that I base my opinion on personal experience. The ignorance I spoke of was of actual facts in this particular case, I must assume that you too are ignorant since you tried to derail a simple statement into some discussion you are comfortable with. Are you capable of discussing opinions and staying on track?

I'm an anarchist who wants to abolish the legal system as it is. As a voluntarist, I hate bad arguments against the government. The Appeal To Ignorance and Anecdotal Evidence are terrible ways to argue or form opinions.

Feel free to paint yourself with any label that suits you, I haven't made any argument against government, I have stated that I am against prosecutorial discression. That's an opinion in case you somehow misunderstand.

This entire argument is about how you don't like how a 17 year old is being charged as an adult, because you blindly respect the government's decree that 18 year olds are adults. There isn't a damn thing you can say or deny that will change that.

Or for Pete's sake, the age of consent is 18 unless a prosecutor doesn't think so, whether or not I "blindly respect the government's decree" is an issue you keep trying to raise in order to dishonestly deflect from the simple fact that you have stated you're quite happy to march compliantly in lock-step with the prosecutor in this case, I disagreed with you and you don't like it.

Do you have any facts not presented in the OP?

I don't.

Can you set forth an argument that might prove prosecutors don't abuse every bit of discression they are given?

Can you even set forth a logical argument supporting your position that "Not having an arbitrary age, and allowing prosecutors to play it by ears." best serves society?

Prosecutors embellish, they distort facts, and selectively present evidence, I have heard no argument disputing this.

Are you capable of presenting one?

Or is all of your typing bluster? Empty and baseless supposition in support of a prosecutors puffery in this particular case..