PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul to Seek Re-Election for Senate, Not Ruling Out Presidential Run

Spoa
05-25-2013, 09:31 AM
MIDWAY — While U.S. Sen. Rand Paul is being mentioned across the nation as a possible candidate for president in 2016, he wants Kentuckians to know that he plans to seek re-election as a senator that year.

Paul, before speaking at a Woodford County Republican dinner Friday night at Midway College, told reporters that he will seek re-election to the Senate.

But that does not mean he won't also be running for president.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/05/24/2652620/paul-to-seek-re-election-not-ruling.html#storylink=cpy

Will he run or stay in the senate?

Warlord
05-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Jim Bunning for president and Rand for Senate in KY... that's how i'd do it.

compromise
05-25-2013, 09:50 AM
According to Collins, he just won't run for president in Kentucky. The race is over before the Kentucky primary.

klamath
05-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Rand can run in the first three primaries for president, If he loses them he can concentrate on senate reelection.

Warlord
05-25-2013, 09:56 AM
If it's not him and Bunning on the ballot in Nov he risks losing his senate seat should he lose the presidency and if he's the nominee.

Idea:

Comer to run and win governorship in 2015
Rand runs for/wins GOP nomination.
Bunning to run for President on GOP line in Kentucky
Rand to run for Senate
Bunning wins KY's electors, they vote for Rand in the electoral college
Rand wins presidency resigns senate seat, Comer appoints Republican
Rand loses presidency he still retains a seat in the United States Senate

Brett85
05-25-2013, 09:57 AM
I think he should just concentrate on running for President and forget about the Senate. He could just endorse Massie for the Senate and we could get Massie into the Senate.

tsai3904
05-25-2013, 09:57 AM
This is the best option:

There also is talk of a possible bill in next year's Kentucky General Assembly to change the state law so a candidate's name could appear on a ballot more than once if he or she ran for different offices.

Brett85
05-25-2013, 09:58 AM
According to Collins, he just won't run for president in Kentucky. The race is over before the Kentucky primary.

But if he wins the primary he can't be on the ballot for the Senate in the general election. They would have to find a replacement for him for the Senate race, which I've read would be hard to do according to Kentucky's election laws.

Warlord
05-25-2013, 10:00 AM
See my idea above.

supermario21
05-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Republicans need to win the 2015 elections. This will be a moot point if that happens.

RickyJ
05-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Republicans need to win the 2015 elections. This will be a moot point if that happens.

What 2015 elections? And why would it be a moot point if Republicans took the Senate and kept the house in 2014? Rand is running for president, he has done everything so far to set that up, barring a major obstacle between now and his announcement in late 2014 to run.

Brett85
05-25-2013, 10:10 AM
What 2015 elections? And why would it be a moot point if Republicans took the Senate and kept the house in 2014? Rand is running for president, he has done everything so far to set that up, barring a major obstacle between now and his announcement in late 2014 to run.

The next Governor's race in Kentucky is in 2015.

Brett85
05-25-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't think it's really out of the question that the Democrats in Kentucky could vote to allow Rand to run for two offices at once. The Democrats in Kentucky aren't nearly as partisan or as liberal as the national Democrats.

RickyJ
05-25-2013, 10:12 AM
The next Governor's race in Kentucky is in 2015.

OK, I see now. BTW, Rand would make a good governor too, but I would rather he run for president.

Warlord
05-25-2013, 10:12 AM

it can happen.

Warlord
05-25-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't think it's really out of the question that the Democrats in Kentucky could vote to allow Rand to run for two offices at once. The Democrats in Kentucky aren't nearly as partisan or as liberal as the national Democrats.

They probably won't because they want his seat.

Unless we establish Kentucky Democrats for Rand Paul and start writing to them via lifelong Democrats who support Rand.

Brett85
05-25-2013, 10:16 AM
The Democrats in Kentucky might think they'll have a better chance of defeating Rand in his Senate race if he's distracted by a Presidential run, which is why I think they might actually go along with changing the law and allowing Rand to run for two offices at once.

LibertyEagle
05-25-2013, 10:21 AM
The Democrats in Kentucky might think they'll have a better chance of defeating Rand in his Senate race if he's distracted by a Presidential run, which is why I think they might actually go along with changing the law and allowing Rand to run for two offices at once.

Rand will be so popular by then, they won't be able to touch him.

Warlord
05-25-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure if they will. They'd rather Rand not run for his senate seat so they can snatch it.

Unless we pressure them via grassroots Democrats who support Rand. Lots voted for him in 2010. The Dem are the big party in Kentucky though it's not liberal. Kind of like Arkansas. They will listen but i'm not sure if they will act.

Warlord
05-25-2013, 11:11 AM
If Rand is adamant he's on the November ballot for US senate then they will probably run Bunning on the GOP line for president.

Unless he can get the law changed.

It's good news either way because it ensures that Rand will have a political career whatever happens.

Good for us anyway that he's planning on sticking around for at least the next decade to change the party.

Aratus
05-25-2013, 04:21 PM
in 2015 or 2016... should we rename these forums???
lets split things between a high gear potus or senate
campaign, lets have the RONPAULFORUMs inside the
larger RANDPAULFORUMs as we build up a momentum!

brandon
05-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Rand can run in the first three primaries for president, If he loses them he can concentrate on senate reelection.

When is the kentucky primary and how do they appoint delegates? In any case this probably is his best option.

Warlord
05-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Warlord believes this is fine...

Bryan has said it's staying the way it is with some slight changes to moderate it better I think.

It will give the new comers the chance to check out General Politics or the Economics forum and also learn about the other great candidates we promote. There's no need for a separate site but thank God Josh got the randpaulforums.com domain. That was smart and the brand is thus protected from would be bandits.

Aratus
05-25-2013, 04:27 PM
agreed. saw today's news
about the domain names.

brandon
05-25-2013, 04:27 PM
If Rand is adamant he's on the November ballot for US senate then they will probably run Bunning on the GOP line for president.

Unless he can get the law changed.

It's good news either way because it ensures that Rand will have a political career whatever happens.

Good for us anyway that he's planning on sticking around for at least the next decade to change the party. first time ive heard this. Do you mean bunning would just run in ky?

Aratus
05-25-2013, 04:32 PM
if Jim Bunning doesn't want to be fussed over too greatly, we could thank Trey Grayson for being such a good sport in 2010
and ask him to be a favorite son for Kentucky. I do not want poor lil ole KY to be in the column of the "sweatervester" ever!

Aratus
05-25-2013, 04:35 PM
we all need someone who knows how to run an effective campaign, who will be willing to be taken seriously by the voters.
if there are no likely contenders who are happily willing to go favorite son, even Gurley L. Martin might humour the idea!!!

Warlord
05-25-2013, 04:35 PM
first time ive heard this. Do you mean bunning would just run in ky?

Yes and if he wins (everyone would know Rand is running for president since it'll be on TV everyday and they will all know its really him) his electors vote Rand Paul when the electoral college is convened.

This is a way to have him virtually on the November ballot twice and get round the Kentucky law and so if he loses the presidential through the electoral college and wins the Senate seat in KY he is still a US senator. If he got 270+ electoral votes he just resigns the senate seat and moves into the White House.

KYGOP would maybe have to change some bylaws to pull it off. That's not a problem.

Addressed here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?415554-Rand-Paul-to-Seek-Re-Election-for-Senate-Not-Ruling-Out-Presidential-Run&p=5043404&viewfull=1#post5043404

Aratus
05-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Mitch McConnell once wrote a college thesis on Henry Clay.
there are days when Jesse Benton can be approached and
talked to. Lets keep the KY vote tally away from Rick S. or
even Marco Rubio. the GOP has its own reasons and regs!!!
any serious rival to Rand needs to hustle for each delegate.
hand nothing on a silver platter to anyone else in the running!

Aratus
05-25-2013, 04:45 PM
we need to ask former senator jim bunning first before we go to anyone else. he knows his politics
and understands why there were often charismatic favorite sons garnering delegates in yesteryear.

supermario21
05-25-2013, 04:46 PM
How about Ron Paul takes Rand's place on the Kentucky ballot??? ;)

Warlord
05-25-2013, 04:48 PM
If Comer wins the governorship in 2015 and Rand wins the presidency in 2016 and resigns the seat Comer could appoint Massie to the senate for a full term without him having to have gone through a statewide campaign/election :)

So Rand's first job is to persuade and help Comer get the governorship after safely helping the senior and decrepit senator.

He's going to have a busy few years.

Aratus
05-25-2013, 04:50 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Aratus
05-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Our special senate election up here will result in Elizabeth Warren being a senior senator by less than six months
over the victor of the June 25th election. Gomez, even though he's more than a tad neo-con, he's giving it his all.
The other possibility is that RAND emerges out of the convention as a VEEP after his POTUS run, or even that he
MIGHT weigh accepting a cabinet or administration position, which translates into THOMAS MASSIE serving out a
senate term if Warlord is correct and COMER wins the governor's race. we are thinking this all through carefully as
we try not to pester THAHH COLLINS greatly. RAND is going to have to make wise choices, and after we approach
Jim Bunning, it would be really neat if we ask DOCTOR RON PAUL to potus run in Kentucky happily & energetically!

Warlord
05-25-2013, 04:59 PM
RE: Commissioner Comer

If things go right the Hemp crops will be ready for harvest in the Bluegrass state come 2014 and by 2015 the benefits should be obvious.

Comer will have a major success tout and much goodwill and publicity from the local press in the state. The timing is pretty perfect for him to a launch a strong campaign off the back of this.

The fact that he's embraced it and has been lobbying Boehner in DC and at the Kentucky Derby suggests to me he's aware of this and may have his eye on 2015.

We'll see.

TheTyke
05-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Sadly, we can't assume Comer is on our side. To his credit he fulfilled his campaign pledge and pushed industrial hemp very well. But on other liberty issues he is very untested, and his record as state rep was spotty. He's got a foot in each camp (and that totals three) - he is not disliked by liberty folks, the Republican establishment, or even the Democrats... which is how he dominated the Ag race when everyone else was losing. He's got strong establishment ties.

I agree that sounds like a good strategy if we could get his solid support though!

Warlord
05-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Sadly, we can't assume Comer is on our side. To his credit he fulfilled his campaign pledge and pushed industrial hemp very well. But on other liberty issues he is very untested, and his record as state rep was spotty. He's got a foot in each camp (and that totals three) - he is not disliked by liberty folks, the Republican establishment, or even the Democrats... which is how he dominated the Ag race when everyone else was losing. He's got strong establishment ties.

I agree that sounds like a good strategy if we could get his solid support though!

All he needs to do is appoint Massie if Rand is the GOP nominee and wins the electoral college considering this would make him the President of the United States Warlord thinks Comer would listen to his input when he resigns the seat.

Warlord couldn't care less what he does as Governor of Kentucky just as long as he appoints Rep. Massie should circumstances transpire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQlXNH36mI

Christian Liberty
05-25-2013, 07:25 PM
How about Ron Paul takes Rand's place on the Kentucky ballot??? ;)

Works for me! Heck, can you IMAGINE Ron in the senate?

That would be great. Too bad its just a dream...

Traditional Conservative mentioned Massie, is Massie actually a full noninterventionist? Just curious.

Warlord
05-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Works for me! Heck, can you IMAGINE Ron in the senate?

That would be great. Too bad its just a dream...

Traditional Conservative mentioned Massie, is Massie actually a full noninterventionist? Just curious.

Warlord's cousin once told him Massie was a member here back in the day so yes, he's a Ron Paul through and through.

QWDC
05-25-2013, 07:38 PM
I don't know about Comer, but I know I hope Moffett runs again, not sure what he is up to nowadays. Perfect platform for this state as far as I'm concerned (close enough anyways). Pretty sure he'd appoint Massie as well.

Krzysztof Lesiak
05-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Dumb move. Too early to do this. Wait until After November 2014 at least to decide.