PDA

View Full Version : call me uninformed but...hawaii.

satchelmcqueen
05-24-2013, 11:49 PM
so my wife tells me today how we (government) just took hawaii over and put down their king and queen to take the islands as our own. WTH???
i just always assumed they wanted to be a part of this country. i didnt know this.

discuss....

talkingpointes
05-24-2013, 11:53 PM
so my wife tells me today how we (government) just took hawaii over and put down their king and queen to take the islands as our own. WTH???
i just always assumed they wanted to be a part of this country. i didnt know this.

discuss....

Yes, King Kamamahehaamammeme I don't know., But we told them to vacate or else were building a base and that's that. We say it was us or the Japanese. Happened in 1929?

I know they still till this day want the land back and to reinstate their king.

jclay2
05-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Looks like they have been the play toy of a lot of empires: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Hawaii#Formation_of_the_Hawaiian_Kingdo m

GunnyFreedom
05-25-2013, 12:01 AM
1893. Grover Cleveland called what we did an act of war. Cleveland was right.

talkingpointes
05-25-2013, 12:09 AM
1893. Grover Cleveland called what we did an act of war. Cleveland was right.

"An immediate investigation into the events of the overthrow commissioned by President Cleveland was conducted by former Congressman James Henderson Blount. The Blount Report was completed on July 17, 1893 and concluded that "United States diplomatic and military representatives had abused their authority and were responsible for the change in government."

From the wiki.

So basically a rogue group in the government just did this?

Also the flag showing in the picture has 50 stars and it's from 1894.

GunnyFreedom
05-25-2013, 12:25 AM
"An immediate investigation into the events of the overthrow commissioned by President Cleveland was conducted by former Congressman James Henderson Blount. The Blount Report was completed on July 17, 1893 and concluded that "United States diplomatic and military representatives had abused their authority and were responsible for the change in government."

From the wiki.

So basically a rogue group in the government just did this?

Basically, yes.

Also the flag showing in the picture has 50 stars and it's from 1894.

Not seeing that flag....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Sanforddoleinauguration.jpg

satchelmcqueen
05-25-2013, 12:31 AM
thats what wife told me. i cant believe i didnt know this. funny how this isnt mainstream huh? so we are occupying hawaii.
Yes, King Kamamahehaamammeme I don't know., But we told them to vacate or else were building a base and that's that. We say it was us or the Japanese. Happened in 1929?

I know they still till this day want the land back and to reinstate their king.

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Yes, we did the same thing to the Philippines too, but at least they got their country back eventually.

Michelangelo
05-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Don't forget the southwest. Or Nicaragua. Or Panama-Columbia.

Or Florida.

GunnyFreedom
05-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Don't forget the southwest. Or Nicaragua. Or Panama-Columbia.

Or Florida.

I've made a huge mistake...

http://mjcdn.motherjones.com/preset_51/unclesam630.jpg

BamaAla
05-25-2013, 01:39 AM
The story of Hawaii is our favorite old tale here on RPF: corporatism! Took it over for sugar!

You want to really get a chuckle? Go read about Árbenz and Guatemala.

Barrex
05-25-2013, 02:30 AM
I am shocked....shocked I tell you. Never in a 100000000 years....

Warlord
05-25-2013, 05:30 AM
REALTED:

Puerto Rico’s Colonial Status and the U.S. Invasion

Puerto Rico was a Colony of the Spanish Empire for more than 400 years. After the Spanish-American War of 1898 instigated by the ‘Remember the Maine’ incident, the United States declared Puerto Rico, Hawaii, the Philippines and Guam as its territories. During the Spanish-American War, the invasion of Puerto Rico took place on July 25, 1898 with the United States Navy landing at Guanica led by General Nelson A. Miles. When Spain lost the war it ceded Puerto Rico, the Philippines and Guam to the United States under the Treaty of Paris for $20 million dollars. Spain also relinquished its political power over Cuba. Cuba eventually gained its independence from the United States on May 20, 1902.

From 1898 to 1900, Puerto Rico was ruled by four consecutive US military dictatorships. The governors and other officials in the Puerto Rican government were all appointed by the President of the United States. The US government wanted to bring ‘American Style Democracy’ to Puerto Rico with military governors who were involved in massacres during the Indian wars in North America. The first US installed governor was General Nelson A. Miles who fought in the American Civil War, the American Indian wars and the Spanish-American War. An interesting note is that General Miles led the war campaign against Geronimo and the Apaches. Eventually General Miles troops negotiated with Geronimo and the Apaches to go to a Florida reservation with a promise to return to their native lands. It never happened because the US government planned to keep the Apaches in the reservations. Then the US government appointed Major General John R. Brooke followed by Major General Guy Vernon Henry, both took part in the Wounded Knee Massacre. Then Major General George Whitfield Davies, a Civil War veteran was also appointed governor. All ruled Puerto Rico as a military dictatorship.

The Foraker Act of 1900 allowed Puerto Rico a limited civilian popular government that included US appointed and first civilian governor Charles Herbert Allen, an executive council with more than 11 members, the House of Representatives, a judicial system modeled after the US judicial system, a non-voting resident commissioner in congress and of course a United States District Court in Puerto Rico. The executive council, the Supreme Court, the Chief of Police were all appointed by the US government. Voting rights were limited to those who could read and write and paid taxes. The Foraker Act was a law intended for the US government to control Puerto Rico politically.

MORE:
http://www.globalresearch.ca/puerto-ricos-colonial-status-and-the-u-s-invasion/5336269