PDA

View Full Version : DHS ammo

opal
05-24-2013, 04:01 PM
not sure if this goes in Gen Pol but if not.. feel free to scoot it around somewhere.

so.. my dad makes it a point to write to his congress critter regularly.. sometimes every day. The critter is Gus M. Bilirakis.
One particular letter was all about the ammunition that DHS has been buying.. this is what he got back

"Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns with the ammunition procurement policies of various federal agencies. I appreciate hearing from you.

I understand your concerns about these ammunition purposes. It is not commonly known the extent to which federal agencies have law enforcement authorities and powers. As an advocate for the effective and efficient use of taxpayer dollars, as well as for a government that works for the American people, I am continuing to closely scrutinize these ammunition purchases.

There have recently been reports of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) purchasing 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition and 2,700 Mine Resistant Armor Protected Vehicles (MRAPs). This is not true. DHS estimates that they have approximately 263,733,362 rounds in its current inventory. There have also been concerns raised over the fact that many of these rounds are hollow point rounds. Oftentimes law enforcement entities use hollow point ammunition because these rounds tend to shatter on impact. This reduces the chance that a bullet will ricochet in a training scenario, and significantly reduces the chances of injury. Given that the U.S. Marshals, the Secret Service, and Immigration, Customs, & Enforcement (ICE), as well as other agencies, fall under the purview of Homeland Security, the numerous agents for all of these agencies require such a large procurement of ammunition. And while Congress does appropriate funds to DHS, the department has great discretion to spend those funds to most effectively protect the United States. I have attached a report from DHS to Senator Coburn, in which they enumerate their ammunition purchases in detail.

DHS operates a total of 32 MRAPs, which were donated by the Department of Defense (DoD) in 2008. Of these 32 vehicles, 16 MRAPs are used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection for border security operations. The remaining 16 MRAPs are used by the Homeland Security Investigations unit of DHS Immigration and Customs Enforcement for high-risk counter-criminal operations, such as the execution of search or arrest warrants against known drug cartels.

In January of 2012, Navistar International Truck and Engine Corporation was awarded a $21 million contract by the Army Contracting Command to upgrade 2,717 International MaxxPro MRAPs with a new vehicle chassis. In similar manner, the Marine Corps Systems Command purchased 2,225 Navistar MRAPs pursuant to a 2008 request from the U.S. Army, and additional contracts were awarded in 2010 and 2011.

The Pentagon's $47.7 billion MRAP procurement program ended in October of 2012. Of the approximately 20,000 MRAPs in service, 30% (6,000) will stay in brigade combat teams as troop transports and route clearance vehicles, 10% (2,000) will be used for training, and 60% (12,000) will either go into storage or be sold to allied nations. DHS has no plans to acquire additional MRAPs, and no authorization or funding requests for additional vehicles have been submitted to or approved by Congress.

In the case of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), their purchase of 46,000 rounds of ammunition was for the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) division of the NOAA. The NMFS is tasked with protecting the livelihoods of commercial fishers, the hobbies of recreational fishers, as well as the health and wellbeing of fish stocks and marine wildlife. The ammunition will be used by the NOAA for their agents' annual target qualifications and training.

The Social Security Administration also made a request for 174,000 rounds of ammunition. This was for the Social Security Administration's Office of the Inspector General (OIG) – specifically, the Office of Investigations (OI) under the purview of the OIG. The OI conducts investigations regarding waste and fraud in the Social Security Administration, or the administration of its programs. Oftentimes these investigations are conducted jointly with local, state, or federal law enforcement entities, and as such, the OI officers are trained to use firearms. The full statement released by the OIG regarding their ammunition procurement can be found here on the OIG's (http://oig.ssa.gov/newsroom/blog/2012/08/social-securitys-oig-responds-concerns-over-ammunition-procurement (http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Foig.ssa.gov%2Fnewsroom%2Fblog%2 F2012%2F08%2Fsocial-securitys-oig-responds-concerns-over-ammunition-procurement&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGR4IimA9r_AelGMc9Ec8ehLDuCog)) website. I hope this information provide useful to your inquiry. I will also share your comments with my House colleagues. I am certain they will benefit from your views.

As a resident of Florida's Twelfth District, your comments and opinions are an important source of information to help me carry out my duties as your federal representative. In that regard, please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on any issue important to you. Also, if you would like to be informed more frequently about my work in Congress and in Florida's Twelfth Congressional District, please visit my website at http://www.bilirakis.house.gov (https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fiqconnect.lmhostediq.com%2Fiqe xtranet%2FiqClickTrk.aspx%3F%26cid%3DFL12GB%26crop %3D13053.3089570.3104891.306763%26redirect%3Dhttp% 3A%2F%2Fwww.bilirakis.house.gov&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHrC7xETqOgkEFIT_26uU9eo0uPCg) to sign up for regular email or to send me a message.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. "

opal
05-24-2013, 04:04 PM
I imagine Dad's on a list somewhere by now

tangent4ronpaul
05-24-2013, 04:19 PM
OK, taking this at face value, why the ammo shortage? I thought the gvmt was soaking up ammo. Also, do you really trust DHS? When the alarm about these ammo purchases went out, they didn't reply by denying they had billions of rounds stockpiled. No, instead they put out additional ammo purchase requests and censored the quantity of ammo being sought.

-t

One Man Wolf Pack
05-24-2013, 04:26 PM
OK, taking this at face value, why the ammo shortage? I thought the gvmt was soaking up ammo. Also, do you really trust DHS? When the alarm about these ammo purchases went out, they didn't reply by denying they had billions of rounds stockpiled. No, instead they put out additional ammo purchase requests and censored the quantity of ammo being sought.

-t

I am always a bit leary myself about the government, so I would take what DHS says with a grain of salt for sure. All I know is ammo is in very short supply and it ain't us citizens buying it up because there is none on the shelves for us to buy! :eek:

opal
05-24-2013, 04:28 PM
paraphrasing my dad.. bullshit! (the letter .. not you)

tangent4ronpaul
05-24-2013, 04:29 PM
I am always a bit leary myself about the government, so I would take what DHS says with a grain of salt for sure. All I know is ammo is in very short supply and it ain't us citizens buying it up because there is none on the shelves for us to buy! :eek:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?408747-Use-gunbot-to-find-ammo

-t

One Man Wolf Pack
05-24-2013, 04:32 PM

Amen!

One Man Wolf Pack
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?408747-Use-gunbot-to-find-ammo

-t

Thanks T

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
This is not true. DHS estimates that they have approximately 263,733,362 rounds in its current inventory.

I thought it was about purchase orders, not current inventory. Maybe the question wasn't well formed, or maybe he just answered a completely different question.

Zippyjuan
05-24-2013, 04:47 PM
The reported DHS (and other department) purchases were bids for future purchases- some spread out over six to ten years. The are not purchases being made right now. Some people, fearing ammo shortages, are buying up whatever they see in shops (above what they either intended to or what they usually purchase). This has lead shops to run out more often and add to the perception of an ammo shortage. It became self- fulfulling.

CPUd
05-24-2013, 04:57 PM
I thought it was about purchase orders, not current inventory. Maybe the question wasn't well formed, or maybe he just answered a completely different question.

Yes- the ammo numbers everyone were freaking about are RFQ's over a 5-yr period. They are not 'stockpiling', and will probably never take delivery of the full amount. If you take what actually gets delivered over the course of the next few years, I bet it will show a downward trend.

sluggo
05-24-2013, 04:57 PM
I read somewhere that most of the big US ammo manufactures have contracts with the government that give gov priority when they place an order.

So if DHS orders 5 million rounds of 9mm ammo from Winchester, Winchester fills that order first. The retail market comes second.

It's more of a bottleneck than a shortage, if I understand it correctly.

pcosmar
05-24-2013, 05:05 PM

I'm agreeing with your dad.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-25-2013, 04:02 AM
Yes- the ammo numbers everyone were freaking about are RFQ's over a 5-yr period. They are not 'stockpiling', and will probably never take delivery of the full amount. If you take what actually gets delivered over the course of the next few years, I bet it will show a downward trend.

I still find it to be an alarming amount. And simply placing the orders will put more pressure on suppliers. I don't see why they wouldn't take possession of what they ordered. Aren't there contracts involved?

The reported DHS (and other department) purchases were bids for future purchases- some spread out over six to ten years. The are not purchases being made right now. Some people, fearing ammo shortages, are buying up whatever they see in shops (above what they either intended to or what they usually purchase). This has lead shops to run out more often and add to the perception of an ammo shortage. It became self- fulfulling.

That's not the only reason for ammo shortages. There were shortages before that came about. Ammo has been increasing in price for 5-6 years, and supply was eventually unable to meet demand at all.

CPUd
05-25-2013, 05:00 AM
I still find it to be an alarming amount. And simply placing the orders will put more pressure on suppliers. I don't see why they wouldn't take possession of what they ordered. Aren't there contracts involved?

That's not the only reason for ammo shortages. There were shortages before that came about. Ammo has been increasing in price for 5-6 years, and supply was eventually unable to meet demand at all.

A number of them were RFQ / bid solicitations that were worded as a request for "up to" X quantity over 5 or 6 years. One major difference between these and the ones from 2005 and 2008 is that the previous ones only gave a dollar amount, while the newer ones gave quantities and no dollar amounts.

Government orders could put pressure on the market, but not counting the military, private sales far outnumber what DHS is asking for. The military probably doesn't buy that many pistol rounds compared to other types of ammo they buy.

phill4paul
05-25-2013, 05:12 AM
Business as usual. The DHS is not in possession of the ammo they pre-ordered, the U.S. government does not run guns to Mexico, the IRS does not target political groups, no reporters electronic communications have been surveilled and there was no arms covert ops in Benghazi. Now get back to work serfs.