PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Op-Ed - Blocking the pathway to a national ID

tsai3904
05-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Blocking the pathway to a national ID

‘Your papers, please’ must never be heard in America

By Sen. Rand Paul
Friday, May 24, 2013

The controversial immigration-reform bill that passed the Senate Judiciary Committee this week is expected to be considered by the Senate in June. Many see measures contained in this bill, such as a strong E-Verify and a “photo tool,” as a means to control unlawful immigrants’ access to unlawful employment. I worry that they go too far.

I think there are better ideas that err on the side of individual privacy while still strengthening our borders. We should scrap a national identification database and pass immigration reform that secures the border, expands existing work-visa programs and prevents noncitizens from access to welfare. These simple ideas will eliminate the perceived need for an invasive worker-verification system and a government citizenship database.

I am against the idea that American citizens should be forced to carry around a National Identification Card as a condition of citizenship. I worry that the Senate is working to consider a series of little-noticed provisions in comprehensive immigration reform that may provide a pathway to a national ID card for all individuals present in the United States — citizens and noncitizens. These draconian ideas would simply give government too much power.

More:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/24/blocking-the-pathway-to-a-national-id/

jkr
05-24-2013, 10:17 AM
well
we hear it now most EVERY DAY...unless your a foreigner running for president...

Warlord
05-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Warning: BUMPING CONSTRUCTIVE THREAD

Notice the trolls wont turn something like this into a 12 page thread.

Fascinating isnt it !! :)

Brett85
05-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Warning: BUMPING CONSTRUCTIVE THREAD

Notice the trolls wont turn something like this into a 12 page thread.

Fascinating isnt it !! :)

I'll certainly give him credit when he does something good. Rand has been great on civil liberties in the Senate.