PDA

View Full Version : A Return to Peabody, and the Power of Grassroots

Mr.NoSmile
05-23-2013, 03:45 PM
While the Massachusetts subforum would be better, this speaks to politics as a whole as opposed to just the state. So most of you all remember Leah Cole, the Ron Paul backed candidate who won the election to become the new State Representative of Peabody. Was looking her up and not only was she recently sworn in:

For all the pomp and ritual connected to the Massachusetts Legislature, new Peabody state Rep. Leah Cole didn’t forget why she went to Beacon Hill....“Leah shows a lot of passion for the city,” Bettencourt said, “and that’s what I’m thrilled to see.” Cooperation is vital, he indicated, “for the city to succeed. ... I’ve sat with her several times now.”...“She worked hard at getting her message out, and I’m proud of her,” she told a reporter. She added that even as Cole has no previous political experience, “She has always been one of the people who knows what’s going on.”

http://www.salemnews.com/local/x701038982/New-rep-sworn-in

I bring this up a. so we just don't suddenly forget about local candidates we want to succeed and actually keep up to date on how they're doing and b. Because it speaks to a greater point that apparently the Democrats in Peabody want to take note of. As you'll see:

All we saw, and I’m as guilty as anyone else, was a 24-year-old, first-time candidate with zero name recognition on Day 1, and all we thought was … “this is a kid with no chance."...Well, we didn’t see that she was backed by an aggressive, very experienced, and battle-tested statewide professional political organization. Ron Paul’s Liberty Movement showed once again that it can not only organize, but also infuse a candidate with the Mother’s Milk of Politics: Lots and lots of cash. They were also able to keep her focused on the populist message that government takes too much from us, wastes our money, and is now asking for even more from Peabody’s working classes...This victory belongs to the sons and daughters of the Liberty Movement, who are sort of like the Tea Party, only with younger members and fewer far right zealots....Seventy-three votes was the difference. As a party couldn’t we have united enough to find 74 more votes?

http://eyeonpeabody.com/2013/04/03/lesson-learned-for-all-peabody-democrats-for-the-sake-of-the-party-we-hope-so/

As even an apparent Democrat notes, it was about how Cole tailored and delivered her message. Nothing far right or fringe. That's how you slowly but surely win the war on ideals.

Also Cole's Twitter, if anyone uses Twitter and wanted to follow her.

https://twitter.com/LeahColeMA

Working Poor
05-23-2013, 07:38 PM
I am so for stuff like this one by one just take them over. We have way too many professional politicans living high off tax dollats and selling out the people.

We really do need to focus more on our local elections. The system is still there it is just buried by people like McCain.

We are gaining ground and that is a fact. I want us to lose all the crazy nut job labels and maeke calm, violence free, legal, use the system against the elites revolution.